• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Added clorox to my system and got wierd "clear film"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mat6704AMD

Registered
I recently noticed that I had some algae growing on my tubing so I decided to put some clorox in it to kill the algae. I put about a shot of clorox in my system and let it run for a little and then let it sit over night. When I turned on the pump the next day I noticed a white film floating in my T-line. once the pump was on for while it circulated the "film" through the system and I never saw the "film" again.

The clorox got rid of the algae but I was wonderin what the "film" was. I almost looked like te clorox was eating away at the plastic tubing. Anyone have any ideas on what the film could be?

thanks

Do you have any aluminum in your system? If so, clorox can eat a 1inch thick piece of aluminum in 2 days. It has a bad reaction with it.

most likley it was the oxodized bio film on the tubing. I would not use bleach in a cooling system would stick to something like water wetter.

Why the heck would you ever put bleach in your system!?!?!

It most certainly will eat away at just about everything.

Just flush out your system in the kitchen sink. What you saw was probably a detached/bleached layer of algae floating downstream.
I'd bet it gathered in your heatercore, so you must flush that in the kitchen sink also.

TIP: if you unscrew the screen/aerator on the sink faucet, many tubing sizes will fit quite snugly into the faucet spout allowing a higher pressure flush. Use a cloth inside the jaws of pliers so Ma don't skin you.
Flush your core in the opposite direction that your pump ran, with the hottest water you can stand.
Do not pressure flush the rest of your system unless it's out of the case, or you have hoseclamps on all the connections, hot water tends to soften tubing's grip, and you might end up 'hosing' your system.

Anyways, once done, flush with distilled water, reassemble, and fill with distilled and a bit of antifreeze until the water starts to be a pale green when viewed through the tubing.
Algae will bother you no more.

Have a great one, bud!

I did have an aluminum rad, so i have replaced it and changed the water.

I had originally put the clorox in my system to kill the algae that I could visible see growing on the sides of my tubes. I used the clorox that is usually used for outside decking specifically for killing algae. But did not know about the clorox and aluminum problem. Thanks guys

Back