• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding new thermal paste between core and ihs, done before?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EternalX

I have seen a few posts about people taking about the crap that intel puts between their cores and ihs. I read somewhere that someone took off the ihs, put as5 on the core, and reattached the ihs. I guess this is a way for those who dont want to crush their core with their heatsink during mounting. I have heard that this gives results similar to taking off the ihs completely. Has anyone does this before? With a pentium d? I am thinking about removing by IHS on my 820 to get my temps to come down. Please dont tell me how dangerous or stupid it is to do it, I have done this before and had great results. I just havent tried replacing the IHS with more thermal paste.

EternalX said:
Please dont tell me how dangerous or stupid it is to do it.

It is dangerous and stupid to do it.

The IHS is soldered, or epoxied to the core of all the newer model chips. I think since the release of prescott actually. If you have you heart set on it then you will have a great necklace by the time your done.

The fact that the IHS is "bonded" to the core, i don't think your going to get much better contact then that....

MikeyLikesItSI said:
It is dangerous and stupid to do it.

The IHS is soldered, or epoxied to the core of all the newer model chips. I think since the release of prescott actually. If you have you heart set on it then you will have a great necklace by the time your done.

The fact that the IHS is "bonded" to the core, i don't think your going to get much better contact then that....

Actually the first was the M0 Northwoods,

And yes the CPU is bonded with a type of metal solder TIM. One of my favorite pictures, this guy did and....

I saw someone in another thread (can't remember where now) saying pretty much what everyone else was saying. It's bonded. However there was one guy that removed it by heating up the IHS to a point where the bond released. He was running his heatsink straight on the core and it had reduced his temps like 10C.

It all sounds way to dangerous unless you got big bucks to shell out for a new CPU everytime you break one.

yeah i wasted a Deleron that way, its quite dangerous.

IF you can heat up the core without the chip running (of course)
i'd imagine it wouldnt be too bad. just run a razorblade around the outisde edges where the black sticky crap is around the IHS, then heat 'er up, and remove gently with a flat bladed screwdriver.. sounds easy no?

Do not attempt it. Many have tried it before and failed. I've seen guys that buy new hardware 3-4 times a year and guys that have OC'd for years try it. guys that have had EE degrees and seriously know what they are doing have tried it and failed. Even if you get it off successfully, the chances for you getting a good thermal interface after that are zero. You'd have to lap the Epoxy off to get anything close to a good thermal interface again, and that would destroy the core(s).

We have an extreme OC'er on here named Proth. The guy is good. He tried it and it destroyed the CPU. It really sucks too when it happens. It is not worth the risks even if the operation was 100% successful. Even you saw a gain, it might be 1-2C.

Short Version? Extremely ill advised.

Back