• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AirFlow In this Case OK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Strida said:
The wire loom can be bought just about anywhere for extremely cheap.

I got my 1/2 inch loom for a couple dollars per 10 foot.

Instead of ties, I used electical tape on my wires, I pretty much have the entire loom wrapped up in some tape so it doesn't split apart, as I have lots of cables going though each piece of loom.
I rounded my cables then taped them with electrical tape, i made it extremely tight rap then put it in the LOOM :D i also loomed some of the fan power cables cuz those looked gross hanging.

Drinyth said:

Yep. I do have an ATI 9700 Pro which seems to generate a decent amount of heat. The grills that cover the fans seem to greatly restrict airflow, but I'm not sure I want to cut them just yet. To do so properly, I'd also have to cut the plastic fan holders that are in there right now, and I kind of like how the fans just clip in there right now.

My 2 120mm fans are also running at ~1500 RPMs which create around 55 CFM each, and probably considerably less with the restrictive grills. My CPU fan is also only running at ~3000 because I can't stand the whine it gives off at higher RPMs.

So in short, I know that there are a bunch of things that I could probably do to get my temps down, but I'm not sure I want to get into hardware modification and I certainly don't want an obnoxiously loud case to boot. My machine is stable at 55 degrees which is higher than I'd like it to be, but I can deal with it I guess.

How do these grills look like? Standard generic grill design, or something else?

Lord_Zoltan said:
Yes the hd can be removed they just come right out and are like clips. I have a pic of that 2 somewhere

OH and what do you mean about internal wall?

I meant the part of case on the inside that supports the fan and hard drive cages. I checked out pics on newegg and saw how it has giant slots in it for air to pass through.

My suggestion was just to remove the lower front HD trays and mount a fan on the inside front of the case. But if the 120 is pulling air in from the front vents and across the HDs, then there's no need to do that.

I like the look of the black tubing, and I don't see how it could block airflow. None of the tubes are in the path of airflow (except possibly the ide cable which sticks out slightly).

Your idea for a slot fan for the 9700pro is a good one, but I don't know how noisy they are. You wouldn't want to disturb the peace that the sonata provides. :p

Did your case come with two 120s or did you buy them separately? If so, where did you get them?

chipsdeluxe said:

I meant the part of case on the inside that supports the fan and hard drive cages. I checked out pics on newegg and saw how it has giant slots in it for air to pass through.

My suggestion was just to remove the lower front HD trays and mount a fan on the inside front of the case. But if the 120 is pulling air in from the front vents and across the HDs, then there's no need to do that.

I like the look of the black tubing, and I don't see how it could block airflow. None of the tubes are in the path of airflow (except possibly the ide cable which sticks out slightly).

Your idea for a slot fan for the 9700pro is a good one, but I don't know how noisy they are. You wouldn't want to disturb the peace that the sonata provides. :p

Did your case come with two 120s or did you buy them separately? If so, where did you get them?

The rear 120 fan came with the case, the front 120 i installed and had to obtain. I dont really have a pic of the internal wall, and i could always put that slot fan on a fan only connector THUS the quietness :D
Voltages im not sure how to check, umm hmm here i have screen shot of mobo monitor...maybe this will help, i dont realy have everything set on MBM5 cuz i just havent had the time to tinker and its sorta hard to reach certain sensors anyways heres a screenshot of it, this i think shows the voltages.
If this is not it youll have to explain im sorta a noob.
mbm5ss1.bmp

EDIT: I got my optional (front) fan froma friend :D thanks Gandalf

Nice temps...and nice case...that black is sweet...
So it's like 10-11PM here, and finally cooling off...so i took some pics earlier, and thought i'd post them....
I know i could getter temps if i just stick in 4 loud case fans, but these stealth fans help keep my sanity in tact...

Check out this system, nothing to brag bout, but wait til i get that Sonata case.

Once again, i'm thinkin of switching out the TMD fan and put back the SF2 fan...still dont want to sacrifice the nice quiet i have.

daigster said:
Nice temps...and nice case...that black is sweet...
So it's like 10-11PM here, and finally cooling off...so i took some pics earlier, and thought i'd post them....
I know i could getter temps if i just stick in 4 loud case fans, but these stealth fans help keep my sanity in tact...

Check out this system, nothing to brag bout, but wait til i get that Sonata case.

Once again, i'm thinkin of switching out the TMD fan and put back the SF2 fan...still dont want to sacrifice the nice quiet i have.

dude your temps are fine. LOL the antec sonata is sweet case i really like it some say it doesnt cool good well im at full load and ahve a pretty good temps :D altho my front 120 mm fan is a thick beast :D all thermally controlled so its quiet but that damn ttsmartfan2 is loud..but it cools so well so i keep it

Back