• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative OS Of the Month: December 2006

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PLOBBY said:
Im trying to install it to my sata hard drives (2 x 250gb raid 0)... So grub is doing it on its own. And yes i am following that guide.

try booting on live cd, mounting your boot on /boot (or chrooting)...and then something like:

# grub-install /dev/sda

I tried both of the above, neither worked...

I will be back around 9 central time, but tomorrow might work better for me. I have a bit of homework tonight. How long would it take to setup ssh so you can get to it?

wouldn't take long to set up, but if you have tried the link in the gentoo wiki, then I won't be much help, cause thats all I was going to do...you set up the partitions like they said and everything?

hold that thought, and near the end of the month, i think i'll take a quick poll before we do january's OS of the Month

PLOBBY said:

I will be back around 9 central time, but tomorrow might work better for me. I have a bit of homework tonight. How long would it take to setup ssh so you can get to it?

2.5 minutes maybe? Very easy. install ssh, and then change port if necessary (/etc/ssh/sshd_config), and then /etc/init.d/sshd start

PLOBBY said:

It doesn't make sense that

# grub-install /dev/sda

would install grub to /dev/fd0

eNightmare: he's trying to install to a RAID 0 array, it's not the same animal as a straight hd install...that's where the problems are coming in. I don't know enough about RAID or installing to RAID to reall help out besides point to google searches and IRC channels. (#gentoo on irc.freenode.org btw)

And i just added some links to Qemu and a gentoo disk image in case anyone wants to try that out instead of freeing up hd space for a new partition.

My internet is totally down at home....Cablevision "is aware of the problem and working toward a resolution..."
I'll be seeding when it's back up.

the seeding for this live cd is horrible. I tried to download the files from a mirror and then open the torrent file so it might let me start seeding instead of trying to download since the files are there, but that didn't work. I've had it going for that past few days and I'm at something like 3% done.

I downloaded the DVD version and tried it on Microsoft's Virtual PC. It seems to have issues though. It locks up for no apparent reason. I will try again when I get my dedicated linux rig up and running. I have done older gentoo installs and wow this was easy to get running. I like the fact that it can be simple yet if you want you can dig in and get technical with it.

i've never used MS VPC so i have no idea if it's an issue with that program or not. How was the dvd install progress? i've also never used that...i always use the minimal install cd which only has cli.

PLOBBY said:
Ive been trying to install gentoo for the past few days. I get to installing grub and get an error.

end request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

Its trying to install to my floppy drive or something...not really sure, This is about the 4th time ive started over now.

Grub always says that. It'll likely say it about ten times, then say
Code:
completed: blah blah blah device.map contains
/dev/hda (hd0)
/dev/hdb (hd1)
/dev/hdc (hd2)
or something like that. If it gets to the dev/hd stuff at the bottom, then you're fine. Ignore the floppy errors. Those things at the bottom tell you what drive is what, so you know what to put in grub.conf.

deRusett said:
TimP said:
OpenVMS is a very interesting alternative operating system, too.
it doesn't seem to support x86, I was looking at it and thinking ooooo something new, but I don't have an Alpha
http://www.freevms.org/ "FreeVMS is an OpenVMS-like operating system freely available under the GPL. It consists of a POSIX kernel and a DCL command line interpreter. The only architectures currently supported are i386 and x86-64."

petteyg359 said:
Grub always says that. It'll likely say it about ten times,

that is true, grub always probes the floppy drive and if there is no disk in the drive, it will show an error. If you have no floppy drive, it will take forever to probe the drive instead of not being able to find it and moving on. but I think his problem was more related to the RAID 0 array.

When I try to emerge KDE on Gentoo I get errors finding the DL servers. Any ideas? I can get more specific details later tonight.

Back