• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative to Dual bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devdeep1

Registered
My current Gigabyte board has Duel Bios and this has saved me at times when my bios got corrupted. I simply restore from the backup one.

I am planning to move to X570 Board with 3700X CPU. I can see there is a board such as Crosshair VIII which has this type of recovery. Are there other options please where one can recover from a corrupt bios? If possible, I need 8 SATA ports on the Board.

With asus it's called easy flash I believe. Asrock has a similar form as well not sure what they call it. Simply put your bios on a flash drive rename it plug it in a particular USB port and reboot the bios is then loaded.

As far as I know Gigabyte is the only manufacturer that is utilizing dual BIOS with the X570 chipset. Other brands have different recovery methods, but not two separate BIOS chips.

I don't know offhand on AMD, but for Intel all AIBs had boards with a dual BIOS on them. I don't see why that would be any different with X570.

Correction!

Giga is NOT the only. Looks like the MSI Godlike also has Dual Bios.

EDIT: This is not an easy search LOL

My current ASRock sTR4 AMD board has a USB port that allows for the BIOS to be flashed to the MB via USB drive without an OS. As long as the board itself works, it will read the USB drive from *that* port and install the bin file you have there.

All BIOS' can install without an OS... you just need to get to the BIOS to flash.

I think you meant without a CPU?

I think what I wrote is correct, just not as interesting as I thought.

Most new boards don't have dual BIOS, there is simply a technology which let to flash BIOS from a flash drive so it's not required to use 2nd BIOS as a recovery. ASRock, MSI, GB, ASUS ... all higher boards are supporting it right now. It's not available in low-end series. 2nd BIOS in higher mobos is more like a quick switch between OC and normal modes like in LN2 OC series mobos.
Not to mention that on Gigabyte, 1st BIOS had to be functional so dual BIOS could work as 2nd BIOS was only a backup and couldn't replace the 1st one. Only motherboards with 2 separated chips with manual switch were really protected in case if one BIOS was damaged in any way. This made ASUS in ROG series mobos or ASRock in higher and more expensive series.

Back