• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 2500 OCing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoggSquad

Registered
Using abit nf7-s with barton 2500 (multiplier unlocked), 1gb (2x 512) pc3200 ram.

I am using stock cooling. At stock speeds (166x11) the temps vary based off the room temperature upstairs. I've seen it under load anywhere from 48-55 degrees at stock. Just testing things out I went (200x10.5) and it seemed to run cooler than stock speed.

Today was a nice cool day and I went (166x12) just to mess around and the same, it ran just as cool as the stock settings. Keep in mind, I don't keep this OC'd cause of my HSF, but today I played a full 6 player game of Command and Conquer Generals online at 200x10.5 and it ran pretty cool. I don't recall it going above 49 degrees under load.
I tested to see if I can get (200x11) and it booted fine with 1.675 vcore, ran somewhat cool as well for the limited time I had it OC'd.

My ThermalRight SLK-947u and AS 5 will be in soon, I already received my 92mm panaflo fan. How feasible does it sound that I can get my barton up to (200x12) and keep it stable?

2400 mhz is a pretty nice o/c for a Athalon, you may or may not beable to hit that... it depends on the chip. If i were you i would try to get a high fsb (over 200, see how high you can go) and use a lower multi to keep same mhz (what ever mhz your CPU seems to max at).... this will increase your performance even if you can not hit the 2400 mhz.

I have corsair value select ram. I never really considered putting the FSB above the 200 mark just because I dont know how that affects ram. What advice/warnings/suggestions do you have regarding this?

a good 2500 should do 2200mhz easy on 1.65-1.7v with stock heatsink

I'm just surprised how when I OC'd from 1.8ghz to 2.2ghz (200x11) that the idle temps were the same as the 1.8ghz idle temps. Like I said, I didn't test it under load, no sense messing with it when Im 2 days away from having my new heatsink/fan installed.

I'll definately start off with 200x11, I'd like to see how it does under stress test. Then I'll probably go 200x11.5 and then 200x12 and see how things are with those. It would be nice to get 2.4ghz. I figure that can perform between a p4 3.0c and 3.2c perhaps. Then I can ride the chip/mobo out until these new 64bit dual core technologies come out.

Probably better then a 3.2 sence a 3200 barton run's 2.2 11x200 if you where to get a better fsb or higher clock speed you would be better then a stock 3.2 IMO.

Back