• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD A6 3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anonizer

Registered
Been reading some AMD APU OC threads here, but mine is different. OC'ed to 2.7 from 2.1 stock, didn't raise any voltage. Ram is on 1600 1T-9-9-9-24 stock voltage too. I noticed when I played dota 2 my FPS goes down to 30 instead of 50-40ish when I was on stock. Also when I ran Prime95 and HWMonitor for 12hrs. Saw my TMPIN02 was on 75c. Is that NorthBridge temp? My mobo is GA A55M-DS2.

Stock Cooling.
Corsair Vengeance 1600 (2x4)GB.
Generic 600w PSU.
and I also have 3 fans installed. 1 pull, 2 push.
I only changed RAM timings, CPU Freq, CPU Clock Ratio, and CPB Ratio. All other are untouched.

Update:

CPU Freq 105,106,109,110,123 - Black Screen, No Signal on monitor.
CPU Freq 122 - Endless Flickering.
CPU Freq 107,108,111,112,124 - works fine like the way it should work. I wonder why. Will keep increasing CPU freq by 1 to see.
CPU Freq 120,121 - works but text and some things doesn't display correctly.

I jumped from 112 to 120 in testing because I want to get the highest CPU Freq I can get so I think no point in testing the lower values.
Also when resetting the CMOS my SATA Drive isn't detected. Can anyone help me?

Update:

OC
CPU Clock Ratio to 2.7ghz
VGA Core Clock Auto
Core Performance Boost Disabled
CPU Freq 124
Memory Clock x6.66 1652mhz
Voltage at Stocks
CNQ AUTO
CSTATE AUTO

DRAM Configuration set to Auto because when I set it to manual and use the settings from what CPU-z detected, POST screen tells me it suffered from fail boots because of HW configuration. Please help me out because this is my first time overclocking. Thanks!

Last edited:
your cores thermal throttling due to heat. The APU's generally don't like to run much hotter than 60c even than thats generally hotter than they like to be. APU's adjust power and performance between video and cpu based on core temps and power consumption across the core. You can disable this to some degree. However without the extra cooling it will just crash usually.

These chips definitely agree well with having alot of cooling room. first step you should really make is upgrading your cpu heatsink.

your cores thermal throttling due to heat. The APU's generally don't like to run much hotter than 60c even than thats generally hotter than they like to be. APU's adjust power and performance between video and cpu based on core temps and power consumption across the core. You can disable this to some degree. However without the extra cooling it will just crash usually.

These chips definitely agree well with having alot of cooling room. first step you should really make is upgrading your cpu heatsink.

Oh I see, thanks for the input. Maybe I'll buy a Hyper 212 Evo then, but will it fit on my matx mobo? it is ga a55m-ds2 saw on the vid that it is big.

Oh I see, thanks for the input. Maybe I'll buy a Hyper 212 Evo then, but will it fit on my matx mobo? it is ga a55m-ds2 saw on the vid that it is big.

You may experience lack of clearance for the hyper 212 evo's fan with regard to the ram you have which has a fairly tall heat spreader. If your motherboard had four ram slots you could use the two slots farthest away from the cooler fan but it doesn't.

Last edited:
You might want to talk to the water cooling guys for a closed loop system. I know alot of people that run small cases typically don't have the room for the larger air heatsinks out there, so a closed loop system might be a good choice in this situation.

You might want to talk to the water cooling guys for a closed loop system. I know alot of people that run small cases typically don't have the room for the larger air heatsinks out there, so a closed loop system might be a good choice in this situation.

Yep. If your case isn't at least 7.5" wide across the top panel there will not be enough clearance to the side panel for any tower-style cooler that sports a 120mm fan.

He's the one on the right.
hb.jpg

lk.jpg

?

He's the one on the right.
hb.jpg

lk.jpg

Can't see it sir.

Yep. If your case isn't at least 7.5" wide across the top panel there will not be enough clearance to the side panel for any tower-style cooler that sports a 120mm fan.

Will post the pictures of my motherboard setup. Tell me if any good air cooler can fit, because water cooling is my last resort. :sn:

You might look at something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019&name=CPU-Fans-Heatsinks

It's a top down cooler rather than a tower-style cooler. Spendy, I know but Noctua makes excellent stuff that you can count on to be effective.

Will check on it if they have stocks here. By the way upon researching I saw that 2 people that using the same setup as mine, was using a HYPER 212 EVO for their cooler. Will post the pictures tomorrow can't find the usb cord.

I am at CPU Freq at 124, then memory freq at x6.66 which is 1652mhz boots fine when dram config is set to Auto, then CPU-z reporting that it was running at 9-9-9-30-41 at 1.5v then when I set it at manual using same config POST says "This hardware has suffered boot failures from overclocking" or something like that. Also when going to GPU-z it says my memory is on 667mhz but on the SENSORS tab it says 827mhz. Anyone know what is the problem?

Last edited:
Try setting the DRAM Command Rate (CR) to 2T if it is currently on 1T.

Still didn't work. also tried 1t-10-10-10-30-41 2t-10-10-10-30-41 still getting that message. But when at stock settings I run it at 1666mhz 1t-9-9-9-24 at 1.5v and it runs fine.

If your memory is rated for 1600 mhz and you are overclocking with the FSB then soon your memory frequency will exceed what it is capable of because the memory frequency (and the HT Link frequency and the CPUNB frequency as well) is tied to (tuned to) the FSB. You should start by lowering the memory frequency to 1333 mhz. On these locked APU processors the overclocking is limited by the integrated GPU as well as it overclocks along with the CPU.

Also, please post back with pictures of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD so we can see where various frequencies are. Use the Go Advanced button and then the paperclip tool to post images.

If your memory is rated for 1600 mhz and you are overclocking with the FSB then soon your memory frequency will exceed what it is capable of because the memory frequency (and the HT Link frequency and the CPUNB frequency as well) is tied to (tuned to) the FSB. You should start by lowering the memory frequency to 1333 mhz. On these locked APU processors the overclocking is limited by the integrated GPU as well as it overclocks along with the CPU.

Also, please post back with pictures of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD so we can see where various frequencies are. Use the Go Advanced button and then the paperclip tool to post images.

Here it is.

Attachments

• 123213.png
    123213.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 4,564
Your memory is still a little overclocked. Is it stable that way? If so, good because I know the iGPU utilizes the system memory and so to have the memory clocked as high as possible is an advantage if you're using the iGPU.

Your memory is still a little overclocked. Is it stable that way? If so, good because I know the iGPU utilizes the system memory and so to have the memory clocked as high as possible is an advantage if you're using the iGPU.

Yes it is stable, it can run up to 1866mhz but I can't get it to there because of the fsb changing the speed of x8 multiplier at memory frequency. Thanks for the help. :thup:

Only problem now is the cpu cooling :eek:

The memory is only rated for 1600 mhz, however. Have you actually run it at 1866?

Back