• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx 8120 overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manishsri56

Registered
hi evryone,
i recently bought my amd fx 8120. it was running good but later i had issue of instant pc shutdown while 3d rendering. i later chckd my bios and found my amd running at 90C.. when idle.. if i turn off my pc and restart it after half an hour it starts at 69-72C.. i am using stock fan and using default setting for my motherboard as well.. my rig is

amd fx 8120
msi 990fx gd65
nvidia gt 520.

please help. :) :)

1. You have poor air flow thru the computer case to remove the hot air forced inside the case by the CPU cooler.

2. The stock cpu cooler is not seated accurately on the top of the cpu. It maybe slightly loose and shifted after a number of hot and cold cycles.

3. What does HWMonitor (free) say the cpu socket temp and the cpu package temp are when in windows?
RGone...

First thing to do is download HWMonitor and run it to get real time temps of your CPU.

What kind of case do you have? How many fans are in the case and how are they oriented?

hii evryon1, thnkx for ur reply.. i hv downloaded AMD overdrive and found that my processor is running at 3.4ghz though fx 8120 comes at 3.1ghz..

mine temperaturs were 35-40 wen i turned on my pc.. but it reached 65-70 and my pc is continously running at 3.4ghz..

i am using the stock fan only and no other system fan..

MOBO- MSI 990FX GD65
CPU & Cooler > Amd FX 8120 with Stock Cooler
MEMORY >Corrsair vengenance 8Gb*2
POWER SUPPLY > Cooler master 600W
VIDEO CARD > Nvidia Gtx 560 Ti
HDDs/Optical drives > 1 HDD, No raid
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB >No USB device
O/S > Win 7
Case > no fans installed.. :p

Case > no fans installed.. :p = An awesome cause for your overheating. FX processors put out a ton of heat and with no fans to pull some cool air into the case and a few fans to remove the hot air from the Cpu Cooler...well the cpu temps are HOT.
RGone...

any good air cooler will work. The hyper 212 pro from cooler master is a very good CPU cooler but nothing is going to work well without case fans to move air in and out of the case.

manishsri56 try taking the side panel off the case for the time being. If you can install fans in the case do so, if not you may want to consider getting a better case.

manishsri56, I read your PM and then located the thread you said you had made and there is really nothing that can be done by PM that cannot be done from this thread itself. None of us posted anything more in the thread because you did not repond to what we had already suggested.

You have not captured HWMonitor showing us the actual cpu socket temps and the package temps. You have not tested with the side-cover off the case as "Drake" suggested last. He suggested doing the side-cover off since you have said you have no fans installed in the case to remove air from the case.

The general rule is that we don't use AMD Overdrive for anything in our overclocking process. HWMonitor supplies the temps we use in general and use the settings in bios to overclock.

You have already had suggestions from just almost two of the best whom offer help in this forum section, by Johan45 and mandrake4565 and you have to DO something about cooling the case before much else can even be suggested. And without the captures of HWMonitor and a capture of CPUz showing us the speed of the cpu when HWMonitor is running, there is lttle more we can do. Not even a PM can change that. You have to make a move to remove the heat from inside the computer case. Good luck with gettnig rid of the hot inside the computer case since it needs to be addressed first and foremost is all of our suggestions.
RGone...

I just figured you had fixed the issue or had a melt down and were waiting for parts.

this is my HW monitor snap..nd sorry for late reply...

Attachments

• hw.png
    hw.png
    28 KB · Views: 894
That is definately hot for 1.35v. I see you're using the stock heat sink. Or have you replaced it? Is that with the door on or off your case? You definately need more airflow. What caes do you have? Is it possible to put fans in it.

As everyone is saying here: you have a serious cooling and airflow problem. Your temps are high all around, not just the cpu but the NorthBridge and other hardware within the case are also suffering.

If you can fit, I would suggest a starting point of one 120mm fan to exhaust air OUT from the back of the case, and one 120mm fan to suck air IN through the front. This will allow for good airflow IN and OUT so you don't have the current "greenhouse" effect.

f4-05.jpg
This image shows you a comparison between an 80mm fan and a 120mm fan. See what fits in your case.

i have opened both the side panels of my cabinet... have two 80mm fans installed in it.. still no good... my graphic card's current temp is about 64 c... wat else i can do....

Well judging by the temps of your hard drives you have really high ambient temperatures?!?!

Back