• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Overdrive "Auto Clock" just crashed my new box...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well just tried 200x18.5 2200nb 2200ht, and I rolled back my nb/cpu volt from 1.175 to 1.1 (since it seemed to handle 2400 at 1.175 just fine).

Only lasted about 4min in prime 95 :(.

So unless I am just goofing some voltage setting, I just cant seem to get beyond x18 (unless I try upping my cpu volt beyond 1.45, but then my temps would be 55c+ load).

Any ideas?

*btw you said youre running at 3.8ghz and only 2200hz nb? In Dolks thread he says you need to keep the cpu/nb freq at a certain ratio with the cpu clock (he has a chart). Is his chart just wrong/outdated?

Last edited:
I just noticed something Malakai mentioned in that thread you linked...

But the 955 is not stable at even [email protected], but it can do it at 1.4v if I bump up nb and cpu_nb a bit.
Im still working on finalizing the settings... when I get it where I want it, settings will be in my sig.

Perhaps my problem isnt my cpu voltage but my nb voltage? I just assumed it was 'high enough' since I was able to run nb 2400hz stable at x17 with only 1.175 cb/nb volts. But Dolks chart does mention that a nb running at 2400hz should require at least 1.25 volts...

So, I just want to confirm that it would be safe for me to try bumping my cpu/nb voltage AND "NB Voltage" to 1.2-1.25 (remmeber I have TWO seperate nb voltage settings in my bios, whats up with that? Malakai mentioned bumping BOTH of them)? I am a little nervous about playing with NB voltage because I have no way to monitor temps (and ontop of that, my Asus mb doesnt have any fan on the NB, just a big heatsink).

Yes raising your CPU/NB creates much stability, but it also creates more heat, mostly within the processor.
There is a tool on the disc that came with your motherboard called A.I. Suite or something like that, and It monitors temperatures, loads and speeds very well.
Coretemp gives good results as well.

Dolks chart is a guide, a recommendation so to speak. At one point people were under the impression that CPU/CPU-NB spacing was important, otherwise the chip would trip up on itself. Eventually, that belief was found to be untrue. The CPU/CPU-NB ratio doesn't seem to effect stability but it will reduce performance. I would encourage everyone to find their own sweet spot settings. Thats what makes overclocking unique and fun. Also I believe Dolk was using an AM2+ Phenom II 940be, which comes with a stock CPU-NB speed of 1800mhz, not 2000mhz the standard with AM3 955.

On air, a PII 955 battles with heat more than any other chip out there right now. (well ok there's the 965 too :) ) Running the CPU-NB at 1.2 or 1.25 volts means more heat, which hurts your overclocking headroom. So there is a tight balance that needs to occur between heat and performance. If you can see minimal drop in performance with a 2200mhz CPU-NB then its worth the lower heat.

Adding volts to the NB can help stabilize the system if the MOSSFET is cool enough. Up to 2400mhz though I've just left it stock volts. I only increased it when I was testing in the 2800-3000mhz CPU-NB range.

Voltage increases bring diminishing returns as the heat barrier gets closer and closer. The phenom II likes to run cold. This arc as shown in previous posts can be moved to the left, meaning that a processor running at 30C will require less voltage for a given speed than one running at 40C. I have some data to support this but haven't finished testing.

I can't specifically remember my settings but [email protected], [email protected], 2.2HT seems about right. Maybe even 1.15V CPU-NB. I was under water though with load temps in the lower 40's.

Last edited:
Ok so I am assuming it will be safe to try 1.25 volt cpu/nb as long as my temps stay below 55c, But what about my "NB volt" (not cpu/nb, just plain old nb volt). What should that be at?

BTW what should my ram be set at while I am trying to hit the 3.8ghz mark? Right now I am at 1600 with 9-9-9-24 timings (thats the advertised rate for this ram).

Increasing the NB volts helps a whole lot if you plan on runnuing the NB above 2400. I presently am @2800 NB, 1.425v, prolly could use less since I added lots of little sinks to cool the PWM area and all the real hot IC's....

stick with the 3.8gig and work with it until you are completely statisfied, first thing I would do if I were you it maybe upgrade the CPU heatsink from stock, more volts = more heat....then move on to trick out your system even further.....

good luck..........

laterzzzzz...........

But I am still waiting to find out what my NB volt should be set at. Nobody every talks about NB volt, why? Should I set my cpu/nb 1:1 with my "NB Volt"? 1:2? Leave it at "Auto"? What? (and if things werent complicated enough, I also have a "NB 1.8 Volt", but I assume I can leave that on auto?).

And is it possible my ram is effecting things (should I try and lower the freq or timings?).

So if anyone could help fill in this chart that would be great. Just looking for some rough guidelines for a 3.8ghz overclock...

CPU Voltage - ??? (currently 1.4v)
CPU/NB Voltage - ??? (currently 1.175v)

DRAM Freq - ??? (currently 1600)
DRAM Volt - ??? (currently 1.5v)

NB Volt - ??? (currently 1.16v)
NB 1.8 Volt - ??? (currently AUTO)

Last edited:
Wow, I need a drink after reading this thread. I think a lot of the confusion stems from the terminology, both old and new. There is no FSB on modern AMD processors, that is old terminology. The basic speed settings are called Reference clock settings and they control CPU speed, Ram speed and HTspeed. The on board North bridge is the physical connection between these devices and the cpu, therefore a frequency and voltage bump is needed here when overclocking to maintain stability. The Phenom II also has what they call a Northbridge which is the on-chip memory controller and it too needs a voltage bump when overclocking to maintain stability.

It really gets confusing as different people call components by different names but everyone needs to stop calling the ref-clock the "FSB"

Good luck on your overclock.

Tony

Up the CPU/NB voltage to 1.3v, then work the voltage backwards testing for instability.

Leave the board NB voltages alone.

ram too high already

Let's say your Core Speed is X
Your Multiplier is Y
Your Processor's Speed is Z
X*Y=Z

So your 955 has an internal clock of 200 MHz stock, but runs at 3.2 GHz
My 965 has an internal clock of 200 MHz stock, but runs at 3.4 GHz, and is therefore faster.

Your 955:
X=200
Y=16
therefore Z = 3200Mhz (3.2 GHz)

My 965:
X=200

Y=17
Therefore Z=3400 MHz (3.4GHz)

To overclock there are 2 ways, the easy way is by your multiplier, for black edition processors. The hard way is to raise the core clock.

When raising your multiplier, it's the most straighforward way possible, and is the way to start. It takes your flat 200MHz and multiplies it. Simple.

When raising your core clock, you are sill making your processor faster (albeit in smaller steps), but that same clock will also raise other speed in your PC, like your RAM.
This is better detailed in the guides I linked to earlier, and their respective authors are much more experienced and knowledgeable than myself.

I'm also not a huge fan of software overclocking tools, because they can make it seem like overclocking is simple and straightforward, especially with your core clock; where it's not.
If I were you I'd read the guides and try doing it in your BIOS, just to start learning, and become more comfortable with what you're doing.

so basically if i have 2600mhz stock ram and i change my cpu speed not multiplier my ram could stop working

Back