• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD X2 550 Quad Core unlock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
would that be under "board status"? or are you refering to just going to bios after a stress test and look at what it shows.
been playing call of duty mw2 with all 4 cores unlocked for about 4 hours now, seems to working fine.

yes it's under board status, I think usually the third sensor.
You can also guess whether your cooling is enough or not by checking what temps the Deneb (950 etc) users get with similar cooler.

I really see no reason to worry about temps thoug, I could run it unlocked to quad without a fan at 3G undervolted, adding a fan makes a huge difference even overvolting wouldn't make up for it.

thanks for the info. seems to run fine, been 6 + hours on mw2 now, with them unlocked, seems to be stable in my book. yay for a $100.00 quad core :D

question??

very new to all this unlocking, overclocking stuff LOL half the terminology goes right over my head! I did however watch a utube video that made it seem awlful easy to do, that is if you have a chip that has the 3&4 core avaialble!

I am sitting waiting for my parts to get here! Darn UPS takes forever! :)

heres my stuff , anyone see any problems??

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Quad CFX, 4 PCIE 16slots DDR3-2000+, Exclusive OC

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor

ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

OCZ Platinum 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

MSI R4670-MD1G Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA Black 24X DVD Writer

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

Let me know what you think?

Last edited:
All the MSI boards (i think) come with BIOS updates now that have a feature called "Core unlocking" and lets you select whether to unlock one or 2 cores.

Going to be up to your chip batch whether it is successful it or not. Still it is a kick *** little dual core :)

ok i have been playing with things a little, i see the x4 when i'm booting have channged the cpu voltage from 1.350-1.41 very slowly, still nothing can not log into windows! Does this mean i should just be happy with my dual core?

You can try setting ACC to +4 all cores instead of AUTO My foxconn would see all 4 cores but would not boot. My asus M4 board would unlock.

MSI supports unlocking on all boards so if it is not unlocking on the GD70... something else might be going on... are you running the latest BIOS?

i flashed to the 170 from 140 then after some readin i went to 160 may even go back to 153b i think i say was working on this board, it would be nice if someone using this board would explain all thier steps ;)
But i will try moving acc to +4 and then work voltages , I know this is going to sound stupid, I am new to this, should i try underclocking to get it to boot to windows?

i have updated me sig to reflect what changes i am making i have the new bios now and running my mem a little higher to get the system stable was locking up , but still no luck with the unlocking , i see them in boot session but just sits and churns at windows startup screen, anyone out there with this board have any solutions!?!? I do relize i may just not be able to unlock them, but would sure like to get back into windows to see what it tells me :)

Ok try dropping HTT link to 1600

Also there is a bios setting called EC Firmware. try setting it to "special"

ok here it goes, restart, del into bios, cell menu this bios version has unlock cpu core-enabled
ACC-auto

everything else left in default mode
f-10 save and reboot
what a pretty pulsing windows icon! LOL resetting

back to bios, changed ht link speed to 1600 (underclocking?)

also bumped cpu core voltage to 1.4

rebooting!

and the windows start screen again :) Rebooting

changing ACC to all cores -2% and again NADA!

changed all coores to +4% lets see :) well can you belive NOTHING! LOL

leaving all settings bumping the cpu-nb voltage to 1.120 and nothing but the windows startup screen! looks to me like i have a fine dual core here! Maybe take a shot at overclocking down the road, we shall see :)

If it is loading windows...and crashing.. I would suspect something of the following

a) unstable core.. maybe try unlocking only one core (should be a bios setting saying "core unlock" that you can set to 1 or 2... thats the report I saw on MSI boards...
b) HAL needs reseting. Had a similar issue on XP with my core i7 when I disabled hyper-threading, I could no longer get into XP. Resetting HAL fixed it
c) if you have another HDD laying around, or can format your existing XP... try reinstalling XP with quad core unlocked :)

it's not loading windows, it gets to the start upp acreen and just hangs there, well at this point i could reinstall windows, just have to call and rip windows a new one! am i not in the right place to see the ec firmware setting??

i get no other option to unlock cores but all or none

if only i knew what HAL was i would look at it :)

Last edited:
Just wanted you guys to know that I just bought the 550 with a board for $69.99 AR. I plugged it in and unlocked it perfectly! I am going to try and overclock it now. I had NO problems whatsoever unlocking the cores. In fact, Everest says that the CPU's code name is Deneb. Well, look here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471. The link is the actual quad core and my computer says that the unlocked 550 is this.

Hello, I just signed in this forum. I am looking for some help with my 550. I have it on a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-UD2H and 4 gigs of ram. Installed Windows 7 today (fresh). Then I used the Advanced Clock calibration feature in BIOS to unlock the extra cores. It started in BIOS saying now "X4 B50" but it gave me a nice blue screen of death on Windows. Not being able to go past that (tried to reinstall Win 7, didn't work). Restored to the initial configuration and it again loads Win 7 normally. Plase advice on this issue. Can I overcome this or I'm doomed?:)

In fact, Everest says that the CPU's code name is Deneb.

Well actually it is a deneb die, and after unlocking cpuz recognizes it as such.

It started in BIOS saying now "X4 B50" but it gave me a nice blue screen of death on Windows.

You can try to lower the multiplier and boot with lower clockspeed, if works maybe you can find a setting which is still worth to use with the extra cores.
Also try to unlock it to use 3 cores maybe only one is dud and you can use it as X3.

oc noob

guys i purchased a 550 be (while mutitasking) it was an acident but I read that you could unlock it with to 4 cores...so short story I did on my new asus m4a79 deluxe...question is...is it safe to run at 4 or should i go back to x2 and it does post in bios(2.603) as a phenom II x4 b50...ultimate see's it as same...ive benched it and have run multiple high end games with awesome performance but I don't want to have to worry bout burnin the chip..don't want to buy another cpu if I dont have to...I've oc'ed to 3.6 on all cores stable for 2 days no crash or bsod...no voltage changes as of yet and running stock cooler with large side panel fan...is there any advice you can lend...and i did turn it back down to quad 3.1 last night out of paranoia...been in the computer industry for 20 years but just started playing with oc'ing..so any info would help...and how would i find out if they were just locked due to demand or if they were defective...all the running I've done hasnt caused a glitch yet...thanks for help

Hello, I just signed in this forum. I am looking for some help with my 550. I have it on a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-UD2H and 4 gigs of ram. Installed Windows 7 today (fresh). Then I used the Advanced Clock calibration feature in BIOS to unlock the extra cores. It started in BIOS saying now "X4 B50" but it gave me a nice blue screen of death on Windows. Not being able to go past that (tried to reinstall Win 7, didn't work). Restored to the initial configuration and it again loads Win 7 normally. Plase advice on this issue. Can I overcome this or I'm doomed?:)

I just got the 550 Black and the same thing is happening with XP. Boots and BOSD. After reading the BOSD my rtkhdaud.sys had a Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR _EQUAL error. So i diabled the onboard audio and bam i loaded into windows. The problem was it was very unstable. I tried a few different vcores, ect. Dunno. No point in having 4 cores if i have to give up my audio. I'm not giving up yet though.

I have a Gigabyte GA-ma785, and in MIT i can't figure out how to set it up as a tri-core. I would be just as happy with tri, any ideas?

Back