• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An Appropriate GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well everything seemed ok until I tried plugging in the new card.

Initially, it appeared there was plenty of legroom in my spacious Antec case, along with a generous expanse of elbow room, replacing my existing GS8600 as the lone card plugged into the MB.

The 6770 nevertheless, refused to seat completely into the slot, and wasn't until I peered in through the preceeding empty card slot, when I realized its plastic cover was hanging up on the neighboring PCI plug, which actually protrudes taller than the PCI-E connector.

I tried plugging it in anyway, as evenly, and deep as possible, but my display never received a signal.

...I dont suppose they sell extensions, for PCI-e connectors do they? If so, that could easily get it flush with the PCI plug,

I'd even chisel it off the board, if it wouldn't crash as a result.

They do. But I can't seem to picture in my head what exactly is wrong with your situation.. You're saying the card doesn't sit right into the PCIE slot because of the neighbouring PCI slot? Or that the PCIE connector is too short? I'm confused XD.

Oh.. I get what you mean now.. Strange.. I don't think I've ever seen a card that got blocked like that.. Hmm. Sounds strange that it doesn't fit..

Cool!
I'm sure I'll find something that'll work. I was beginning to envision a new MB, new OS, RAM etc.
Hopefully I can find a simple extension, that doesn't need to ship from Hong Kong.

Thanks again guys!

Any thoughts on if the use of a PCI-E riser would result in any detectable measure of latency in the card's performance?

After checking around, the only question I have is in regards to the default PCIe 1.1 specs, that nearly all of these risers and extenders are based upon.

Apparently if they're not 2.0 compliant, I'll be limited to an x8 signal if used with a 2.0 card/slot, which I believe is precisely what I'll be attempting to do.

Will this be as debilitating to its performance as it seems to appear, or is it more relevant in a crossfire setup?

I remember when a friend got risers, that you had to look for risers with two ribbon cables to work properly with PCIe 2.0. Not sure what he meant, though.

I remember when a friend got risers, that you had to look for risers with two ribbon cables to work properly with PCIe 2.0. Not sure what he meant, though.

Perhaps this thread?

I think it answers my question thoroughly enough.

I found a risor that should arrive to me sometime next week.
For a mere $6.00 + shipping, its certainly worth a try!:)

Now, with a riser in the slot in the card installed, am I correct in thinking that the area where the rear IO screws (or attacher clip things, if youre tool-less) would normally screw in will now sit exactly one riserextensionheight above where it's supposed to be, and you will therefore not be able to get the screws in?

Just curious, never heard of this happening before

Hey guys, finally had a chance to install it with the riser card.

graphicscard.gif

Haven't load tested it yet. Just made some brackets, mounted it in the case, and installed the drivers.
I'll report back how it performs in the field :salute:

Last edited:
Just wanted to stop in, and express my appreciation to all for the helpful input regarding my videocard, and particularly to Mjolnir and mjw21a, for the great suggestion on the 6770.
Since receiving the riser card, the switch has been seamless, zero conflicts, yet the bump in graphics, or rather in game rendering has been nothing short of phenomenal!
A card, surprisingly affordable with a measure of power, that now appears,
more than appropriate!

Thanks again for the dialed in expertise!

Back