• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another interesting pump 12V dc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BeerHunter said:
I'm afriad I understand now why swifttech does'nt publish thier dB ratings in thier pump. According to the acctual maker of the pump it produces 55 dB...Not what I'd call quiet, In fact since it's a logarithmic scale it's way louder than a decent 80mm case fan.
false, as in untrue

care to provide a quote for that value ?

be cool

I gotta agree with Bill.

There are lies, damned lies, and then fan dBA ratings.

Take a look at any of JoeC's fan noise tests at the Overclocker's front page. Typically 20-30dBA higher than what the fans are "specced" at.

Admittedly he measures them differently, but that's the point. A top fuel drag car will sound quiet from 10 miles away too.

Without a true "standard" for how these things are measured, noise dBA ratings can be horribly misleading when comparing one to the other. Then there's the pitch of the noise. Lower pitched noises are far more tolerable than higher pitched noises, even if it was twice as loud when measured on a noise meter.

Last edited:
BillA said:
I'm still waiting for the source of that bogus 55dbA value,
AND we will get to see who the pump mfgr is too !!
- or find out that we have another BSer

the pump noise 'issue' was addressed here
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/s...ge=15&highlight=mcp600 and noise&pagenumber=6
- but this relates to the first several hundred pumps;
5 revisions were subsequently made each addressing the noise from the motor, it is now VERY quiet

be cool

:( I have no reason to lie Mr. Bill. Here is the PDF from the manufacturer.

http://www.arozone.com/downloads/AMXXXXXXX-X.pdf

And the pump which aro manufacturing calls AMDPO18-H14PND2, looks and has identical specs to the swiftech THEY say puts out 55dB right there in B&W (that game sucked by the way) . I could have the wrong pump though. And as you now correcting me about revisions I'm sure I did :) Send me one and I'll test it for ya since you'all refuse to post it:D

Last edited:
1) ARO is not the manufacturer, they are a reseller
2) the pump they describe is not the same as that sold by Swiftech - compare those specs to what is here

was suggesting no 'reason' to lie, just that your post was in error

be cool

ARO is not a distributor they are a tributary of Ingersall Rand. Much like ABC is of Disney. They do hawever link to distributors on thier site.

BeerHunter said:
ARO is not a distributor they are a tributary of Ingersall Rand. Much like ABC is of Disney. They do hawever link to distributors on thier site.

I think what Bill is saying is that despite ARO being a pump manufacturer in its own right, for this particular model that they may be just rebadging the pump under the ARO brand.

A bit like how Ford, being a car maker in its own right, sometimes rebadges other maker's cars to suit an area of the market that they don't currently make a product for themselves.

BillA said:

just that your post was in error

be cool

Oh I can believe that But when there are no decible stats on anyones pump I'm going to dig until I find it before shelling out cash for the thing and swifty was top of my list. However, One thing I've learned though tons of purchases of what people refer to as "quiet" in forums is quite diffenent from my interpretation so these terms are USELESS useless told as a relative comparision I can understand or a reliable decible rating whatever that is...trust of company plays a part there. So anyway that's what lead me to the search and stumbling on what appears/appeared to be the swifty source which ,IR, I consider very trustworthy because of thier commercial relationships so I posted it's dB(A) ratings. Now your telling me signifigant modifications/revisions were made to quiet this pump...I can buy that but is it silent? And if not 55 how loud is it?

This is exactly why I want to do my pump comparision guide. All with the same heads all measured at the same distances for sound with pently of data points along the way. I have access to a sound proof room now all I need is peer review//... Anyone live in Vegas:D

BTW_ I can't get to overclockers austrialia to read your pump improvements w/o registering.:(

Last edited:
Everyone wants a 12v Pump. Even though allot of people argue that turning the pump off and on (w or w/o ur computer) will shorten it's lifespan. All of these 12v pumps are large, and off the wowza as far as how they look, prices and sound levels...

So here is my proposition. They slapped a inverter on the back on the Eheim pumps, why not slap one on our favorite pumps (Mag, Eheim, Hydor, Maxijet, etc.) and run with that?

iNSiGMA said:
All of these 12v pumps are large, and off the wowza as far as how they look, prices and sound levels...

I personally think that the MCP600, and now this D4 pump (if it lives up to its on-paper specs) defy that statement in every way.

iNSiGMA said:
Everyone wants a 12v Pump. Even though allot of people argue that turning the pump off and on (w or w/o ur computer) will shorten it's lifespan. All of these 12v pumps are large, and off the wowza as far as how they look, prices and sound levels...

So here is my proposition. They slapped a inverter on the back on the Eheim pumps, why not slap one on our favorite pumps (Mag, Eheim, Hydor, Maxijet, etc.) and run with that?

Everything I've been lead to beleive is DC motors can be quieter. Check out your dads 18V drill vs. one you plug into wall..night and day difference. Not sure why....checking... and that's the main reason I'm attacted in addition to simplicity of just connecting to PS.

"AC and DC performance differ with higher efficiency and output on DC. " hmmm but this is using a universal motor which may indeed be true...but we are talking brushless here....more checking in order:D

http://www.gselectric.com/products/universl.asp

Last edited:
Cathar said:

I personally think that the MCP600, and now this D4 pump (if it lives up to its on-paper specs) defy that statement in every way.

Yeah well tell everyone to quit looking for more 12v pumps if we already have some...

Anyway i've heard enough about these MCP600s failing and the D4 pump... who the freak has it? Nobody.

iNSiGMA said:

Yeah well tell everyone to quit looking for more 12v pumps if we already have some...

Anyway i've heard enough about these MCP600s failing and the D4 pump... who the freak has it? Nobody.

First revisions of the MCP600 had issues, just like the first revision of many things. Seems to be fixed now.

5 people (that I know of) will have the D4 pump by Friday.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 12v pump, but I'm afraid I'd have to upgrade my PSU. It's only 350w. I've got an AIW 9800Pro, o/c'd 2500+ and 1g of PC3200, dvd rom and burner, one HD atm but 2 more going in....I'm afraid I might be getting towards the edge of what PSU is capable of. Luckily I got a steal on ebay, so I'm gonna stick with AC for now. I can't wait to see how this pump does for you guys tho, the specs sound great, price is nice if it does what it says, it's not the best looking pump I've seen, but thats a minor distraction.

peace.
unloaded

Cathar said:

First revisions of the MCP600 had issues, just like the first revision of many things. Seems to be fixed now.

5 people (that I know of) will have the D4 pump by Friday.

WOO HOO Cathar.. some more of that up-right water-cooling addict justice

UnLoadeD said:
I've been toying with the idea of getting a 12v pump, but I'm afraid I'd have to upgrade my PSU. It's only 350w. I've got an AIW 9800Pro, o/c'd 2500+ and 1g of PC3200, dvd rom and burner, one HD atm but 2 more going in....I'm afraid I might be getting towards the edge of what PSU is capable of. Luckily I got a steal on ebay, so I'm gonna stick with AC for now. I can't wait to see how this pump does for you guys tho, the specs sound great, price is nice if it does what it says, it's not the best looking pump I've seen, but thats a minor distraction.

peace.
unloaded

You might find one of these tools useful. I personally never had a PS greater than 300W untill just recently I purchased a 400W Fortron for this water cooling escpade. I think guys go overkill anyway. Here you go keep in mind the Swiftech only uses around 9W so add that.:D

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
or
http://www.vbutils.com/power.asp

BeerHunter said:

You might find one of these tools useful. I personally never had a PS greater than 300W untill just recently I purchased a 400W Fortron for this water cooling escpade. I think guys go overkill anyway. Here you go keep in mind the Swiftech only uses around 9W so add that.:D

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
or
http://www.vbutils.com/power.asp

Great Find BeerHunter! Luckily, I have enough power for a D4, and I know that now because of your post!

Back