• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Fusion 430

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Watson306

Hi Guys,
I am new here - and I havent built a PC for maybe 10 years, but I got given a ASROCK FM2A75 Pro4+ atx board (which I mistakenly initially thought was a Micro atx board), and have been wanting to build a media server for some time, so started looking for a cheap HTPC case that wouldnt look out of place in the living room.
Unfortunately because of my initial mistake I purchased a used Antec Fusion 430 which is a big case but only holds a micro atx board.
So this is the dilema - do i mod the case and fit the ASROCK FM2A75 Pro4+ atx board which appears to be possible by removing an inner seperator (seperates the area where the motherboards sits and where the PSU is. This would then require a smaller (if there is such a thing) PSU or lift it up to the top of the case.

I was wondering if anyone had done this - I know its an old case which is why I am struggling to find anything.

Many Thanks in advance.

I think this one falls under "Don't swim against the current." How about: Sell the ASROCK on eBay, buy an FM2+ mATX motherboard ($50 to $75). The net difference in cost to you will be small, and you won't have to spend time on the case. This assume that you aren't motivated by the fun of modifying the case.

Its not that I am not motivated, but I wonder what the advantage for both is, and also if anyone has done it before.
I can see what your saying though and I am thinking it maybe the way to go.

Its not that I am not motivated, but I wonder what the advantage for both is, and also if anyone has done it before.
I can see what your saying though and I am thinking it maybe the way to go.

I don't see any advantage to cramming an ATX sized board in there for a media server, unless the board has a specific feature you need. Most people approach HTPC/media servers with specific application objectives (storage capacity, video encoding, perhaps gaming requirements), but form factor and noise seem to drive a lot of the HTPC discussion...to the point now where even HTPCs are being displaced by small appliances and dongles.

If modding the case fits into your hobby sweet spot, then do the trailblazing, take pictures, document and publish it all, for the folks who might follow behind you.

If you just want to get the media server up and running with minimal risk of failure and keeping costs under control, get rid of the wrong part and get the right part.

Back