• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock 970M Pro 3 Poor Overclocking board? Motherboard Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pigpottomus

Before I start, here are my computer specs
AsRock 970m Pro 3
AMD FX8320e
Sapphire 5870
Seasonic M12ii 620
G.Skill Sniper 1866Mhz 2x4gb(I believe its currently running @1600Mhz)
My CPU and Graphics card are cooled in a water loop

I've finally built a budget pc after a few years of just having my gaming laptop. But anyways, I know a lot of people say that the AsRock 970m Pro 3 doesn't overclock to well, with it being a 4+1(or 2?) powerphase, and the VRM tend to overheat or temps get pretty high causing Vdroop. I am relatively familiar with overclocking with AMD Cpus/Mobos.

However, I literally had a fan blowing at my motherboard, around the VRM heatsink, but it still Vdroops. Started out with 4.5Ghz @ ~1.4-1.42v and went down from there. However, even at like a 3.8Ghz overclock, it still Vdroop, with the fan blowing on my board. Temps are good, CPU would get to about ~49c and Vdroop, VRM heatsink is about 52c (Measured with a infared temp gun thinggy). I have pretty much CNQ and all those other stuff turned off. Should I just not waste my time trying to overclock with this board? I've been looking at upgrading to either a 990FX Sabertooth R2.0/R3.0 (If I can find a used one for a decent price) or a Gigabyte 990FXA UD5 (Rev3 and up). I do want to upgrade to Ryzen, but broke college student, Lol. Any 990FX Mobo recommendations?

The Sabertooth R2 good solid motherboard.

There has been a few that I've seen since I've been looking that were priced pretty good. But the thing that deterred me then was because of the color scheme. But I regret that now.. :(

Unfortunately color scheme has a very limited effect on overclocking.

Some other 990 boards to consider...

ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 or UD7

Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0

Back