• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS GEFORCE-4 V8420 TI4200 128MB OverClocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nearly all video cards overclock the same way, you don't need a guide for a particular card... try rivatuner or powerstrip to overclock...

okey i heard about rivatuner on a other post but i wanted to know what sethings i should use and how to test to make sure they will be good, and how do i know when to stop?

i know all cards oc diferent but i was wondering if theres a small guide for my card..like what sethings will be close to max oc so i can play around there....and what NOT! to do...like voltange too hight...and stuff like that..

i guess what i whant is the sethigns in general from ppl with that card in particular so i can play around in that

also was wondering if i can get a programe to "burn in"

thanks

-M|6

oh ya btw i dont use the Detonator drivers i use the Asus Drivers since im not sure if the special features are gona work...

Asus should release updates as M$ certifies drivers with their windows operating systems... so you should stay relatively recent for quite some time before having to forget the special features and go with newer drivers...

As for overclocking, each card IS NOT the same. Regardless of what others with the same make/model card get it won't change how you will start overclocking yours...

Raise (one or the other, don't raise both at the same time) your memory in 5mhz increments. Run a 3d Benchmark (like 3dMark 2001SE). If you run the benchmark and it shows visual artifacts/distortion, decrease your settings 5mhz and leave it there (as 5mhz lower should be stable). Once you have it running without artifacts, then raise the core the same way, in 5mhz intervals, testing each time, until you see artifacts/distortion.

The artifacts should be spotted even to an untrained eye. Don't expect miracles overclockinh video cards, typically we only see 10% more performance without doing some extreme modding to them.

okey i been testing allot and well there seems to be a variable.

when i boost the core clock 5 clicks there np i can go up two 350 and mem 450 and run 3dmark with not distortion, but when i reboot to make sure it works and run 3dmark again it distorts.. why does it work when applying the sethings but not when i reboot?..

i can go to 250,445 and reboot with np.

i was wondering is there any DirectX or OpenGL sethings i need to remove, also are you tweaking the Registry or the Low Lvl's ?

One Last Thing i notice with the Detonator Drivers i use clone mode it works fine, but when i play a movie i dont get the image on the TV, but it works fine with the Asus Drivers is there a sething in the Detonator that i need to turn on?

Last edited:
I use the coolbits registry hack, which changes the registry settings to reveal the overclocking functions built into the nvidia drivers (so you don't need an 3rd party software to make these changes). You don't have to change any driver settings to get results, just move the slider :).

but i use revatuner and its moving the slider also but the problem i posted still happends. about the 3dmark thing.

when i boost the core clock 5 clicks there np i can go up two 350 and mem 450 and run 3dmark with not distortion, but when i reboot to make sure it works and run 3dmark again it distorts.. why does it work when applying the sethings but not when i reboot?

One Last Thing i notice with the Detonator Drivers i use clone mode it works fine, but when i play a movie i dont get the image on the TV, but it works fine with the Asus Drivers is there a sething in the Detonator that i need to turn on?

You have to set the TV as your primary display type when using the nvidia drivers and nview, I dunno why but that was my experience as well...

As for overclocking, if you have the core at 350mhz then you have one hell of a card... that's damn high, you're looking to max a Ti4200 in the 275-325mhz range (exact numbers, as I explained earlier, are impossible to give).Try a lower overclock on the core, say 300mhz, and see if the same thing happens.

The memory should go higher, most will hit in the 500mhz range (275mhz x2 (ddr)).

oh ya, just got the TV to work, go into the Properties, find overlay controle, then set the Secondary Display so when you play a movie it will show in FULL mode on the TV and Small mode on the desktop so you can still work wile ( in my case ) the gf wants to watch a movie =p

Also About the Tweaks Are you Talking about the Low Lvl hacks or the Registry? or is that the same? and if not witch would be more stable and tweable?

another idea might be to burn the card in. Just run 3dmark2k1 in demos for a looooooong time. THen i tmight go a little higher.

well i just just got it to 300/500 im gona burn it in and try again...

but how long is LOOOOOOONG! like a week ? a week end?

also is there any other programe that can burn in all my componets i heard of prime95 but not sure if it works good on Win2kpro and it seems old so im not sure....can i get a link to a good burn in programe so i can burn in my cpu/gpu also is there anything i dont need to burn in?

Need something that will exercise the video card, Prime is a cpu stressing application only... 3dmark is best for this if you set it to loop, etc... low level isn't as exact as registry entries (like coolbits)... I'm not sure the relation, I only know low level seems top round off the numbers and coolbits lets you specify, to the exact mhz you want... that's kinda outta my league, I stick with the hows most of the time because too many of the whys change too often to bother keeping track (I hate having to relearn things).

I also don't claim to be anywhere near an expert, I am eager to help in any way I can but often step aside on the most elaborate or programming related stuff...

Techinically, you dont "need" to burn in anything. It just sometimes helps to OC it more. You wont get THAT much more out of it, but it may be worth it. Also, by running loops in 3dmark2k1, you will be testing to see if your OC is truely stable. I would burn in for prolly about 1-2 DAYS.

okey, ic so im going to toronto this friday so...im gona let it burn for the weekend see what happends when i get home =p

*hopefully my comp wont melt to the ground*

TheFrag said:
lol, that would suck. Also, what kind of cooling you got in your rig?

i got a WAW60 Block with a 92mm fan on it , A GPU Outtake slot cooler with + the stock . Got 2x80mm fans for the intake/outtake of the CPU

Got 2x80mm harddrive fans, 120mm fan for the 2 cd roms and powesuply , A 80mm fan for the underside ( hot side ) of the powersupply
AND last but not lest the GOOOD old OPEN window * i live in canada and my basement is FREAKING cold at night plus winter is on its way! lol i have to have my winter jaket when im on the comp.
But on a other post i was asking about water colling thing im gona get a CPU/GPU/RAM/HD KIT but not sure who makes them.

anyhow my comp is 44-46oC when im folding and 35-38oC idle normaly

in winter its at 20oc and 28 Full load around LMAO! hehe

not sure what kind of cooling i might need more then water after this =p maybe some copper HD collers and OH ya i need to order a memcooler if the water one dosent come with it.

I have ASUS 8420td/64Mb which is clocked 250/512 stock and it seems that RAM is gettin very very hot while doing heavy duties...

ya when i play full 3d games like EQ ( www.everquest.com ) i can see that it heats up, i wanted to get the things that are like RAM head sinks.. but i dont know the name for the Vcards...its like a heat sink but for the MEM on the Vcard anyone know...

-M|6

Back