• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA V & i5-3570K OC Temp/Voltage Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FeeLX

Hello everyone,

I'm new to overclocking and to this forum but i just wanted to ask if my OC is solid and what you guys think about my temperatures and voltage. I used the Auto OC feature of the ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA V with the newest BIOS available.

Here are some pics. First i tried to OC to 4,2 and prime95 was running 2hrs and it was stable.

1p1uj7.png

then i tried 4,4 and it was like this:

img-20170914-wa0064q5ukt.jpeg

i thought these temps like 87°C degrees are a little too high so i decreased it again on 4,2 where it runs solid. Does anyone have some advice how i can lower the temps on 4,4? I have an Alpenföhn Brocken Cooler on top of the CPU so it should cool pretty well. I hope you can help me with this. Thank you.

I would not use the auto OC .
Do it manual , most quick settings and programs use a higher voltage than needed so it is stable for a larger range of CPUs.

87 isnt really to high , and you will NEVER see those temps in anything else beside P95 .

If you try Aida64 should give you a beter Idea of what your temps will be when gaming / encoding .

I would not use the auto OC .
Do it manual , most quick settings and programs use a higher voltage than needed so it is stable for a larger range of CPUs.

87 isnt really to high , and you will NEVER see those temps in anything else beside P95 .

If you try Aida64 should give you a beter Idea of what your temps will be when gaming / encoding .

thanks for your fast answer, any advice at how i should do a manual OC step by step? Should i just put -0.100V in the bios settings and check if its still stable?

I overclock a bit different then most ppl . Most start Low and work there way up , I find this takes to long . I start @ the highest recamended voltage and start clocking from there .

Maybe start @ 1.25v and then see how far you can raise the multi . 42 - 45 ( think 45 was the top end for most of those Ivys )

here is a guide for haswell pretty close to Ivy

http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/

I overclock a bit different then most ppl . Most start Low and work there way up , I find this takes to long . I start @ the highest recamended voltage and start clocking from there .

Maybe start @ 1.25v and then see how far you can raise the multi . 42 - 45 ( think 45 was the top end for most of those Ivys )

here is a guide for haswell pretty close to Ivy

http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/

thanks for your advice... i now had a solid OC in 4,5 (at 1.220 V) with LLC at High and temps from max of 56°C while playing some rounds of PUBG. Here you can see the results:

Unbenannt.PNG

i think this is solid and stable aswell. If you have any suggestions to improove this even more feel free to tell me your suggestions many thanks!

PS: How can i manage that my CPU clocks down in idle when not needing the 4,5 GhZ?

Last edited:
I will tell you I've had my 3570k oc'd for 5 years at 4.2 on air cooled HSF and have had no problems. The thing is bulletproof. Didn't have to adjust any voltage. I have thought about LC, but then you're voltage and micromanaging the CPU for minimal gain. You're in the same boat I am, enjoy the solid performance on most anything, suffer a little in catzilla and 3dmark benchmarks to your buddies with I7, but don't have to drop $800-$1000 on a new mobo, cpu and Ram.

This i5 really is lit af

I will tell you I've had my 3570k oc'd for 5 years at 4.2 on air cooled HSF and have had no problems. The thing is bulletproof. Didn't have to adjust any voltage. I have thought about LC, but then you're voltage and micromanaging the CPU for minimal gain. You're in the same boat I am, enjoy the solid performance on most anything, suffer a little in catzilla and 3dmark benchmarks to your buddies with I7, but don't have to drop $800-$1000 on a new mobo, cpu and Ram.

Thank you for your reply. I run mine now solid on 4,4 GhZ and the temps are under heavy load at 69°C max! I love this CPU man it works so great in OC. Those i7 never get temps like that i think... I bought a new 16GB Kit of Memory and have a GTX 970 EXOC. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS runs at minimum 80fps. I'm so amazed with this OC Performance.

After I sent that I went back and found guys running it on 4.3 and 4.4. All I was saying is I didn't have to adjust voltage or anything to get 4.2. Are you running liquid cooling or air? I thought about playing with voltage but not sure it would really do much for me.

After I sent that I went back and found guys running it on 4.3 and 4.4. All I was saying is I didn't have to adjust voltage or anything to get 4.2. Are you running liquid cooling or air? I thought about playing with voltage but not sure it would really do much for me.

I'm using this Aircooler here: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/EKL-Alpenfoehn-Brocken-Tower-Kuehler_495169.html

I started OCing at 1.25 Volt and run solid on 4.4 without any stability issues. And like i said no core gets higher than 69°C even under heavy load.

Back