• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus maximus viii hero vs mpower msi titanium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxin9

I'm building a new computer. Im buying the intel i7 6700k and I can't choose between the msi mpower titanium or the Asus maximus viii hero. Which one do I need to achieve the best result?
Thanks!

How far are you looking to push the cpu and what cooling are you using. If you are talking a moderate overclock on ambient cooling either one will be plenty. It more comes down to which one has the features you are looking for, like number of usb ports of built in WiFi. The way the board looks will also affect your choice assuming your case has a window.

How far are you looking to push the cpu and what cooling are you using. If you are talking a moderate overclock on ambient cooling either one will be plenty. It more comes down to which one has the features you are looking for, like number of usb ports of built in WiFi. The way the board looks will also affect your choice assuming your case has a window.

basically i want to push it, nothing crazy. i'm buying the h100i liquid cooler. i don't want a more expensive board. from what I've seen these are the boards to buy in the 100-200$ range. question is, which one is better. as far as the features goes it's complicated :p. on one hand i do want the best looking one. and i'm doing a blue build so the msi will look the best with that. one the other hand the red touches on the asus one are pretty minimal. on one hand the msi one has a pretty low pci-e slot for the gpu so going SLI in the future (don't know if i want to) could be a problem, also the heat-sink for the chip is right next to the slot so i hope it doesn't interfere with the card. on the other hand the asus one doesn't have rgb led headers that can be pretty cool for the case. but the msi has 11 power phases against the asus- that has 10. also some say that the bios of the asus card is the best one and others say that msi mobos have the best bios. but the asus one has different buttons that can be handy to OC. you see what i mean? :confused:

They will easily reach your overclocking goals and then some. it really is down to features, build theme/colors, and price.

I reviewed the titanium and love their click bios. The hero is also overall solid and will handle ambient overclocks without breaking a sweat. 10 phases vs 11 doesn't make a difference for you and they both have quality power delivery.

They will easily reach your overclocking goals and then some. it really is down to features, build theme/colors, and price.

I reviewed the titanium and love their click bios. The hero is also overall solid and will handle ambient overclocks without breaking a sweat. 10 phases vs 11 doesn't make a difference for you and they both have quality power delivery.

That's the thing. The both have and lack different features and I'm not sure which one will be better

The thing for us is, we don't know what features you want and need. Perhaps compare them side by side at newegg?

basically i wrote down my comparison in one of my replies. still hard to pick...P.S: do you think the top left part of any of the boards (the plastic one) will interfere putting a radiator on the top part of a case? (buying a fractal define s)

The plastic frame of ANY motherboard will only get in the way if the radiatior and fans overhang the board. I don't have that case, so my suggestion would be to look up some images of water builds in that case and see how it looks. Chances are with a 'normal' radiator (meaning not a double depth radiator) and 120x25mm (normal depth) fans, it should not be an issue, but it will be, always, darn close.

I would choose a radiator so we know how thick it is...

thank you for helping. i feel kind of stuck since i'm not sure which features are more important to me. are there any features that you consider important that you see in any of them (and why)?

I went over some of them already... let me pick it apart one by one.........

basically i want to push it, nothing crazy. i'm buying the h100i liquid cooler. i don't want a more expensive board. from what I've seen these are the boards to buy in the 100-200$ range. question is, which one is better. as far as the features goes it's complicated :p. on one hand i do want the best looking one. and i'm doing a blue build so the msi will look the best with that. one the other hand the red touches on the asus one are pretty minimal. on one hand the msi one has a pretty low pci-e slot for the gpu so going SLI in the future (don't know if i want to) could be a problem, also the heat-sink for the chip is right next to the slot so i hope it doesn't interfere with the card. on the other hand the asus one doesn't have rgb led headers that can be pretty cool for the case. but the msi has 11 power phases against the asus- that has 10. also some say that the bios of the asus card is the best one and others say that msi mobos have the best bios. but the asus one has different buttons that can be handy to OC. you see what i mean? :confused:

Which one is better?
For your uses, they are both superb boards.
Best looking one?
That isn't for me/us to decide.
the msi one has a pretty low pci-e slot for the gpu
You don't want to use that PCIe slot unless you have to, it is a 4X slot and you will lose a few percent performance that way. Not to mention, it can't be done that way in the first place as NVIDIA needs 8x + slot speeds for SLI.
the heat-sink for the chip is right next to the slot so i hope it doesn't interfere with the card.
It wouldnt' they are all very similar and follow intel standards.
but the msi has 11 power phases against the asus- that has 10.
Already addressed power phases... It doesn't matter where you are going!
also some say that the bios of the asus card is the best one and others say that msi mobos have the best bios.
Already addressed MY opinion on the BIOSs
but the asus one has different buttons that can be handy to OC.
Buttons are neat, sure, but not remotely needed for daily overclocks.

You want blue and cheaper? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128943&cm_re=z170-_-13-128-943-_-Product

Last edited:
thanks! i saw the gigabyte but didn't see anyone recommend it over these two. i'll think hard and come to a conclusion. since i don't want to throw away the possibility of doing SLI in the future i think i'll get the asus one since he has a double 8x in sli (that's playable right?). also some people told me they had bad experience with msi boards.

With the skylake platform two 8x PCI-E 3.0 is sweet as it gets for SLI.

Last edited:
The MSI also has 8x/8x. What I said was you cannot do it on that third slot... same with the ASUS, as they run those at 4x.

People have a bad experience with every board man... don't let a couple of experiences out of thousands play a huge role in your decision.

Really, you are not taking a man to the moon here. Just a motherboard for a PC. :)

I would take MSI just because it's white :) ... but really for 24/7 rig there is no difference. Personally I like more MSI in Z170 series ( I had 2x ASUS and 1x MSI ) but both will be the same for overclocking on air/water.

your right, i'm overthinking this. anyway thanks a lot to everyone you really helped!!

Back