• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ASUS P6T Deluxe v1 with 48GB RAM - WORKING!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuHcOw

Hi guys.
Yes this is somewhat old news (old hardware at least) - I just needed somewhere to write about my "findings".

MB: ASUS P6T Deluxe v1 (x58 chipset)
CPU: Xeon x5680 (LGA1366)
RAM: 6x 8GB (M392B1G73BH0-YH9 - IBM part number: 47J0210 - IBM fru: 00D4987)

These DIMMs are Registered (Buffered) and with ECC.

As long as the DIMMs are DDR3; 2Rx8; Max memory chip size 512MB; Supports 1.5V you should be good to go. Also, you MAY want to upgrade to the latest official BIOS version from ASUS website.
If the above link does not work, try searching for "P6T Deluxe" on their website instead.
Also, according to the manual the P6T does not support memory chip sizes below 128MB.

ECC is not enabled since the motherboard does not support this.
I think it's the memory controller in the Xeon that makes it possible to utilize this amount of memory. So if you have an old i7 CPU installed, I'm not sure it will work.

BUT - 48GB on a "max" 24GB motherboard... And it's working! :clap::muahaha:

1.png
2.png

Last edited:
Have you had any trouble out of this RAM? I've heard that putting "Registered" into x58 mobo that does not support it can cause issues.

Sorry, didn't get a message that someone had replied to the thread.

No issues at all !!

They DO run a little hot, so I have installed a small fan above them.

Last edited:
Most excellent! There was one man who needed to run more ram than board supports and this would be great news to him. Uh, unless that man was you, I don't remember:D

X58!!! She never dies!
Well, mine slowly does I think. Won't stay 4ghz nomore

- - - Updated - - -

NVM, his was different platform

X58!!! She never dies!
Well, mine slowly does I think. Won't stay 4ghz nomore

Too much dust in there 😁
Mine is still rock solid 💪

Don't understand - I'm not told when people reply to THIS thread??

Need to go through my settings, I guess...

It doesn't..
I have another thread here at overclockers where I receive a message (mail) whenever someone reply to the thread..
But it doesn't seem to work with this thread 🤔

This has been an issue for others so I just looked into it. Try Clicking on your Settings-->Subscriptions and checking the threads you want notifications to. Be sure to check the appropriate notification frequency and Go button. Let me know if this works for you.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

That must have been it - I'm on a mobile device and couldn't find the correct settings.
Tried loading "full version" and there it was.

Thanks man!

Now, how do I get back to the mobile friendly version?

MuHcOw, thanks for the info

Did you use any custom bios settings, what bios version do you have?

Version 2209 (latest on ASUS website).
No special settings - But I do have an overclocked xeon x5680 installed.
That MAY be why I can use registered DIMMs instead of unbuffered DIMMs - The xeon, that is - not the overclock.

I just bought a 2nd hand P6TD deluxe with Xeon x5660. I was going to reuse my good old i7-920, but the price wasn't too bad... I have 3x4GB + 3X2GB, am thinking to get 3x8GB to replace the 2GBs. Wondering if Xeon 5660 works with 36GB non ecc ram on the mobo.

I realize this is an old topic but it helped me recently so I thought I'd add my experience. Perhaps someone else somewhere is still using x58 in 2019 :)

Just tried this on an asus p6t deluxe v2 with 6 Samsung M393B1G73QH0-CMA sticks (8gb each). It works! This is with a Xeon e5620. Not sure if it's actually using the ECC, but I don't really care for that. This was a cheap way to get 48GB of ram into this old board.
This is also 2Rx8 memory so it seems that's definitely an important factor. I tried some other 8GB ecc sticks that where 2Rx4 that didn't work on this board.
Thanks for the info!

Perhaps someone else somewhere is still using x58 in 2019 :)

I'm still using my good old x58 P6T Deluxe v1 with my OCed Xeon x5680...
Stable as a rock :rock:

But thanks for the update !!! :cheers: I also think "2Rx8" is a thing.

Back