• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p6t SE MB bent pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tidgy

Registered
Bit of a waffly intorduction to fill int eh detaisl ont his one.

Had an issue with my system where it suddenly stopped reading ram in one of the slots and the system being very unstable. Definatley worked origionaly with all the ram (6gb) being picked up by windows, but dropped to 4gb when it was having issues.

did some ram switching round to find out one of the slots had packed up.

I bought it from scan, 3 days over the year of course. So i spoke to them, stripped it out of my machine and sent it back to them for them to check out in hope of a getting a new one under warrenty or a repair done.

Been in contact and they are telling my my warrenty is void because of a bent pin.

heres were it gets a bit muddy. I dont remember seeing a bent pin when i took it out, but i'm not 100% sure so im pretty much stuffed as far as warrenty goes.

the following picture shows the bent pin, was taken by scan returns department.

Picture.jpg

its very easy to see which pins damaged, but it doesn't explain how.

If i had done it taking the chip out it would be at one end or the other of the slot, not smack bang in the middle. Also it looks like its just been bent sideways, not up or down which is very strange indeed. If i had bent it myself installign it i wouldn't have waited a year to send it back either.

The repair option is send it back to asus to replace the socket at £25, so for the sake of that i'm just gonna try using the card/tweezer method to straighten it out. (if not gonna get a new board anyway so nothign to loose)

That said i have a few questions,

first off, i have managed to ID the pin as AH33, which is listed as AH33-VCC-PWR. Its seems to point to it being a power control for the memory controler.
can anyone confirm if this is the corect ID?

Second, as said im just gonna bend it back and see what happens, The ID makes sence that the mem slot would pack up if the controlers not getting the right power for it.

could this be the reason for dropping ram/slot packing up?

third, any one got any brainwaves how a pin could bend in this fasion?

In general looking at Intel power delivery specs...CPU main voltage (Vcc a.k.a. Vcore).

I have doubts that one mis-located pin will have the effect of dead memory channel. Gives me the idea a straightened pin or replaced socket will n0t fix the dead memory channel.

In general looking at Intel power delivery specs...CPU main voltage (Vcc a.k.a. Vcore).

I have doubts that one mis-located pin will have the effect of dead memory channel. Gives me the idea a straightened pin or replaced socket will n0t fix the dead memory channel.

thats my big concern, i dont wanna spend £25 to repair the socket wait x weeks to get it back from asus (not heard good things about return times), to them find its nackered anyway and i;m back to square one.

I think i'm gonna try it and if it doesn;t work buy a new board, but take mu business elsewhere.

so next question is what MB for around £150 for 1366 socket, etc etc

thinking this one, or is there a better option?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/219007

well, would you adam and eve it.

i very carefully bent the bin back in place, reassembeled the machine.

and i've managed to save myself £25 or even a new MB. Works fine, reading 6gb and all sorted.

time for a new graophics card,,, lol

Great results "Tidgy", I know you are one happy camper.

When fooling with the newer Intel socket I have come to cut my fingernails and make sure my shirt-sleeves are rolled up since I did bend pins one time with both of those items.

Great results "Tidgy", I know you are one happy camper.

When fooling with the newer Intel socket I have come to cut my fingernails and make sure my shirt-sleeves are rolled up since I did bend pins one time with both of those items.

cheers :rock::rock:

t-shirt zone here, lol. i hate shirts. but its a fair point. bit of a strange place to bend one though.

def something to learn from it though, be gentle and slow and bent pins can be repaired.

Back