• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus RMA Service is horrendous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
I bought an Asus P8P67 Pro the day they were made available to the public. I attempted to live through the board without doing the exchange to the B3 stepping. Meanwhile, I start having issues with the monitor dropping out, which would require a reboot. This issue got to be rather regular, so I decided to ATTEMPT to get an RMA.

I got on Asus's site and went to the support area and sent an email to request an RMA. Low and behold-2 weeks go by before I actually get an rma number. I am still calm at this point and send the board in and wait patiently. Another 2 weeks go by and my rma is safely back at the house. Only to find out that it is the exact same motherboard that I had sent in and was infact still a B2 rev (wow). I contact Asus support on the phone and spoke to a lady that I had to inform of the issues with the b2 boards and that they all were infact recalled and all to be replaced with a B3 rev. To which she responded "Well does it not work?". I kindly to her that yes it does work, but sadly it was still a recalled board that I had paid full retail for, and would like to have what I was promised from purchasing a full blown full retail product. She finally, after roughly 45 minutes of clamoring on the phone, does realize that there is a recall and sends me a new rma number and promises to send me a shipping label to cover the cost of shipping the board the second time.

The next morning, I get up and check my email to find that I do have a new rma number but no shipping label. So on the phone I am once again. Speak to a new person and he has me to wait in the phone while he sends the shipping label. I see that I now have one along with a form to fill out for a cross-ship. Seems great at this point, so off the phone again. Start to fill out the form and see that they once again want credit card info (still dont have a card) so on the phone again. This time they say "Just fill out all information other than the card info and email back. Once again I follow directions and get it emailed back.

Next morning have another email stating that they dont have my credit card information. So I respond to that email with the info and directions that were given to me and when supports hours are up I make another call to make sure that all is good. I then go and ship the board once again. This time I have directions to call once I have dropped it off to get my new board shipped as quickly as possible. Run back to the house and make the call, lady lets me know that she cant see it yet and that I will have to call back once it is trackable. I dropped it off at around 2pm and checked at around 5:30 and could see it so I call once again. The lady tells me that she can see it and that the new board should be shipped within the next 24 hours.

Now I feel like I am finally getting somewhere and that the end of this travesty is almost over. But.....today I call to see if I can get a tracking number so I have an idea of when to expect to have my computer back in running order, only to find out that they never shipped once they seen that mine was indeed on the way. So on the phone once again. Only to be told that we have no info that I had called and gave the tracking number (feel like they called me a liar!).

So now I am very disgruntled and let them know, but not in an overly mean way. But I am pissed. I feel like they look at me as just a single individual (which I am, and have no reason that I should think they should look at me as anything else but that). And now still have to wait for a full shipping time for a board that should have been back as a B3 rev over a month ago.

Is Asus's service department that bad for everyone? I am amazed that it has dropped to what service I am still in the process of trying to recieve. With the perception that asus is a top company and also commanding top price for their products it is astonishing to me that people continue to purchase from them.

I do believe that I am done with what they offer. My Gigabyte board was RMAed in less than 2 weeks from my first contact with them till the time I had a working new board back.

Sadly, with just the x58 boards, I purchased a Rampage3Formula, rampage2extreme, (2)P6X58 Deluxes and also a regular P6x58. I think I will stay with Gigabyte from now on.

thanks for listening to my rant. I still feel rather pissed at being treated as a nobody. But feel alittle better at letting the public know what to expect from asus support.

I have a funny feeling that I wont in the future. I may have learned a lesson

I had problems with the RMA as well.

Rampage 3 Extreme. A few PCI switching chips burned up causing all PCI slots to be non functional. Emailed Asus, 2 weeks later I get an RMA #. Get the board back with brand new chips. Now the board wont even try to post. (Worse off than before I sent it in)
Emailed Asus again...2 weeks goes by and they say I qualify for their advanced replacement service. So I say sure lets do that. 2 weeks go by again, and just 2 days ago I get my second RMA #...

I guess it could be worse. But it could be alot better, service and quality control wise... :shrug:

[snip] Is Asus's service department that bad for everyone? I am amazed that it has dropped to what service I am still in the process of trying to recieve.
[snip] With the perception that asus is a top company and also commanding top price for their products it is astonishing to me that people continue to purchase from them.
[snip] I still feel rather pissed at being treated as a nobody. But feel a little better at letting the public know what to expect from asus support.

I have had problems with ASUS in the past.:mad::bang head

Unfortunately you're experience is not the exception. Its not uncommon to peruse reviews and/or read a forum and not find dozens of complaints about Asus customer service or Asus Customer Complaints

There are Two types of Asus Customers:
1) Loyal dedicated customers who buy boards that work perfectly and are happy as can be.
2) The customers like you seeking second level support and getting nowhere!

Unfortunately Asus sees their customer base a little differently. They believe they have three types of customers.
1) The happy ones that require no attention.
2) The newbies who have never built a PC, don't know how to flash BIOS, don't know how to load drivers etc., and actually have a good board but don't know what they are doing.
3) The customers like you, who know what they are doing, have identified a defective product, and are simply looking for looking for quality customer support.

Sadly... their newbies and other customers from the Asus group 2 place THOUSANDS of "HELP I have a problem" calls to ASUS everyday. Asus receives so many unfounded newbie complaints that the valid complaints like yours...typically fall on deaf ears. it's easier for ASUS to believe the problem caller is one of the customers who doesn't know what they are doing. Also unfortunate, when customers like you call in who are truly affected by a defective boards... its easier for them to ignore the issue and lump you in with the callers who don't know what they're doing.

FACT: ASUS makes a great motherboard with both quality construction and components.
Also Fact: Fallout is bound to happen from time to time. Considering the number of motherboards that leave their factories... it only stands to reason they will have a certain percentage of failures or DOA's.

Anyway... If good customer service and working with a company that stands behind their products is really important to you... then you should avoid ASUS. However if you want a quality board, and are will willing to risk that you may receive one that is defective, and would rather throw it in the trash than hassle calling a 800 support number... then buy from ASUS.

As much as I wanted an ASAS board I was lucky enough to learn of their Poor Customer Service before making a purchase and went with another company.

New Asus Slogan:
"Its not ASUS Motherboards that suck... its our customer service."

Last edited:
I have had 4 consecutive people from asus tell me that I dont have a card on file is why it isnt shipped back yet. funny, they already have my board, and a card is still keeping it from getting shipped back? I detailed very plainly before I shipped my board that I didnt have a card to put on file, and was told whatever program they decided to use didnt need a credit card on file.

todays update of more BS from asus.

called them to get a tracking number as they promised to ship today. When I got ahold of them, they said they had no record of my rma # at first. Then it was that I didnt have a credit card on file (seventh person I spoke to on this). I explained that I wasnt doing to advanced rma, and that they already had my board in their possesion. Then the excuse moved to the fact that I sent it to the wrong address, I let them know that they sent me a shipping label with their info on it and that I had nothing to do with the address. He then went on the admit that that was not my fault. And said that since I didnt have a card on file they would have to continue as if it were an advance with tracking. I stated that was what we were supposed to have done last week. then it came that they would have to proceed as a regular rma. I said ok, you already have my board so just get a new one coming to me today. And was told that they would have to find out what is wrong with the board and attempt a fix. told them a fix was not going to be possible as the chipset itself is bunk. Needless to say, they are just wasting my time now, and I think they think it is funny.

My recouse will have to be to call them every single day to see if they have shipped it. I can play their game

Sorry to hear about your most frustrating experience Dejo, over at XS I know there is an Asus rep, maybe contact him, not sure if we have one here, ask IMOG

Looking at the vendor list, we don't have a record of one. I would like to see them added, though.

thanks for the reply guys. I am way frustrated right now. The wife couldnt believe all the crap they were coming up with, she was getting mad. And for her to get mad is saying something.

I may try my luck over at xs thanks Edmunds for the info

I guess I'll jump on the rage train. RMAd my laptop 3 times for the same issue (weird static hiss at random times from the speakers) and they still didn't fix it. Third time they took the battery out and didn't put it back.

Not saying Asus makes poor products, but now I'm like you, going with other companies besides Asus simply based on my bad CS experience.

I dont think we can dispute that they do make decent products. but to me customer service has to be taken into consideration. Arrogance has no place in the buisiness.

As far as my rant goes, I would love to put a huge dent in their buisiness. Just to teach them that customers have to have some consideration

If it comes to it, don't be too in awe to contact the BBB for poor customer service practice along with run-arounds considering the product you paid for is being held at their location along with the recall which they seem to be refusing.

Sounds like terrible CS!

I had to RMA a (non-warranty) ASRock B2 revision board and it was all done via email with decent/normal response times. The first board they sent back was indeed a B3 but it would only post/run in single channel so I had to RMA the first B3 board for a second time :( which was done again via email with decent/normal response times. The second RMA B3 board has been up and running since it arrived and they never even asked for my credit card. With both RMA's they also sent a follow up email with the tracking number once the board's had shipped.

As far as ASUS goes I currently have multiple X58/P67 boards... so I hope I don't have to do an RMA with them in the future! (I do have a credit card if necessary.)

I too will stay away from Asus in the future. Like in my Job, I purchase Snap On tools and Pay a premium. The premium is not because their tools are so much better than the competition, but more because of the service.

My current Snap On distributor finds that coming once every 2-3 weeks to our shop, yet bills my Debit Card 100 dollars bi-monthly is good customer service. What he doesn't realize is, that once my debt is paid off I will not be buying from him anymore.

Asus needs to realize the same thing. Their products are not light years better than the competition. People are more inclined to pay more if the "noobs" are helped out, and when there is a problem, that they are treated like a good customer and not as a nuisance.

Man that sucks Dejo, I'd sick my wife on them... she gets her way with everything ;)

Conversely, I've had several good run-in's with Asus RMA procedure. Although those were for server boards, so it's probably an entirely different department/personnel. Hope you get something back soon my friend.

didnt call today, but also didnt get a tracking number or email. I did pick a cheap giga board so I have the box back up and running. Now the longer they take the worse the will look to a whole lot of folks. Sadly, I am most positive that they are just dragging their feet wanting to show me who is boss.

Sounds like terrible CS!

I had to RMA a (non-warranty) ASRock B2 revision board and it was all done via email with decent/normal response times. The first board they sent back was indeed a B3 but it would only post/run in single channel so I had to RMA the first B3 board for a second time :( which was done again via email with decent/normal response times. The second RMA B3 board has been up and running since it arrived and they never even asked for my credit card. With both RMA's they also sent a follow up email with the tracking number once the board's had shipped.

Wow… now that’s the kind of service I hope I’ll get if I ever need it. As most of you know, ASUS and ASRock "used be be" affiliated (one in the same) with ASRock being a less expensive offering from ASUS. But... ASRock is now a separate company, with its own board of directors, making their own business decisions and making its own quality products… (and getting way better customer service marks than ASUS!)

I was listening to Clark Howard on the radio today and he did a story on Customer Service. He said if you get the kind of service from a company where they have gone above and beyond to make you happy.. you'll remember the experience and they will have earned a return customer. However if you get terrible customer service where the company acts like they don’t care one way or the other if your unhappy... then you'll remember that experience even more and won't ever do business with them again.

His moral of the story was... Remember, as a consumer you have choices! He went on to say, if enough people eventually avoid a poor service company they will either modify their business policy to improve the customer experience... or they will go out of business.

Who knows… maybe someday in the future when the young kids of today are old timers, they'll be able to reminisce... "Hey... remember that big motherboard company that went under years ago… what was its name?

Last edited:
Back