• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athalon XP 3200+ or 2600+ M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bloody Mijinion

Registered
Alright, since i'm upgrading my computer, i'm just wondering if i should get a Athalon XP 3200+ and try overclocking that or getting a 2600+ mobile and really overclocking that (since i heard Mobiles can overclock better). I know the 3200 can be overclocked and i THINK the multiplier can be unlocked with the one guide given in the sticky on this forum, but i don't know if i want to try that with a new processor. If anything, should i just get the 3200+, overclock just the FSB and later when i want more power like a year or 6 months or so from now try and unlock the multiplier?

Also, should i bother getting a shimmy for the processor? i'm already getting a better heatsink for the processor and artic silver, and i'm going to lap (sp) the heatsink.

Last thing, have any of you ever tried/heard of lapping the dye? I saw it on another site where they marked the processor with a maker and sanded it down carefully till the mark was gone. Don't know if i should even bother with that or what.

Any feed back is helpful

Edit::Bah, found a recent thread already talking about it, didn't bother to look, sorry for this post, but i do want to know about the shimmies and stuff.

Also, should i bother getting a shimmy for the processor? i'm already getting a better heatsink for the processor and artic silver, and i'm going to lap (sp) the heatsink.

Last thing, have any of you ever tried/heard of lapping the dye? I saw it on another site where they marked the processor with a maker and sanded it down carefully till the mark was gone. Don't know if i should even bother with that or what.

Personally I think shims are useless. Lapping the cooler is always good, because it helps you get better contact with the cpu. I doubt you need to lap the die.

Yeah, people have had mixed results using shims but as long as you are careful, there is not too much of a risk of hurting the cpu core without a shim. I've had two Athlon XP's and have never even touched a shim and have had absolutely zero problems.

And definately get the mobile 2600, you will not be disappointed! ;)

You will not nearly get the same results if you tried to overclock a 3200+ compared to a mobile 2600+. The results are not comparable.

Well, i'm getting a large heatsink, it stands kinda far from the zif socket and comes with a clip for the back of the mobo to keep it from wobbling, would a shim help keep it nice and level and keep it from wobbling?

::: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835106043
Heatsink i want to get. I don't want to go water just yet untill i can get a better one than the 99 dollar kingwin one on newegg.

Last edited:
If you are going to upgrade go to 64. No use going to XP. How much are you looking to spend? You can get a 64 system for under $400. I built a complete one for my uncle at $396.29. Overclocked it to much faster than a 3200 XP.

<<Spider>> said:
If you are going to upgrade go to 64. No use going to XP. How much are you looking to spend? You can get a 64 system for under $400. I built a complete one for my uncle at $396.29. Overclocked it to much faster than a 3200 XP.

well, what did you put into that system? either way, i'm going to get a 2600+ mobile to overclock. Also, is your uncle a gamer?

AthalonXP's don't have a heat spreader, they have a bare die, DON'T LAP IT!!. The people you have seen lapping their processor are actually laping the Heat Spreader on top of the die, if you were to lap the die, the processor would die.

Bloody Mijinion said:
Well, i'm getting a large heatsink, it stands kinda far from the zif socket and comes with a clip for the back of the mobo to keep it from wobbling, would a shim help keep it nice and level and keep it from wobbling?

::: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835106043
Heatsink i want to get. I don't want to go water just yet untill i can get a better one than the 99 dollar kingwin one on newegg.
I'm not too sure about that heatsink. Stick with anything made by thermalright and you will be all set. But most of their Socket A heatsinks are discontinued except for the SI-97. You could also consider the Zalman CNPS7000 series coolers as they would be my second best choice.

gvblake22 said:
I'm not too sure about that heatsink. Stick with anything made by thermalright and you will be all set. But most of their Socket A heatsinks are discontinued except for the SI-97. You could also consider the Zalman CNPS7000 series coolers as they would be my second best choice.

Actually, it's not just a socket A, it's other sockets also, like socket 949 and others. Also, it's quiet, i can add an extra fan, lap the bottom and drop my temps well.

The Coolest said:
If you're getting new mobo and CPU, you should get a s754 Sempron, these, especially a rev E will kill any AXP and will cost around the same (mobo included).
If you're just upgrading the CPU or mobo then a Mobile XP 2600+ is the best way to go, as it is the best quality silicon AMD's producing for the K7, and has unlocked multiplier which allows for much greater flexibility when overclocking.

Regarding the shim, I wouldn't really bother getting a shim, the four holes around the socket will do a good job keeping the heatsink from wobbling around.

Back