• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'athlon' named dropped.... meet 'Phenom' X4/X2/FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD and their Phenomenally stupid core names...

It's still shocking how bad their PR & marketing is, but nothing is a surprise with them any more after they came up with that Turdion core name, remember that?

One of the new CPUs scheduled toward 2009 will be called Propus. How cool. NOT!

Was Prowimp taken, is what I want to know.

Last edited:
c627627 said:
AMD and their Phenomenally stupid core names...

It's still shocking how bad their PR & marketing is, but nothing is a surprise with them any more after they came up with that Turdion core name, remember that?

One of the new CPUs scheduled toward 2009 will be called Propus. How cool. NOT!

Was Prowimp taken, is what I want to know.

I dunno, I don't think AMDs cores have been that bad in name. Aside from recent ones like you mentioned - Turion and Propus.

But in a similar vein, what the flying holy hell is a Penryn or a Nehalem? :confused:

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
rainless, where do you get off saying this? lets see intel sell ANY dual core model that can compete with the 3600+ for 59 bucks shipped. no way they can do it, i dont even think they dip down to the 60's with the old pentium D series. because amd can't beat intel speed wise, they do it price wise.

regardless i enjoy the naming scheme of phenom. phx4 and phx2 are gonna be ill.

Where do I get off saying it? Oh I don't know...

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5043951&postcount=135

Probably just me running my mouth again...

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5043878&postcount=130

It's not like AMD's in any kind of TROUBLE or anything...

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5043878&postcount=133

I mean I'm sure those $59 cpus will save the day...

...okay, maybe not "save anything".... But AMD is having lots of fabrication problems, and if the "PHANTOM!" can't match C2D, C4D performance, then the game is all over. They already have a phantom GPU line that may never see the light of day. A phantom CPU line would lead to them being bought out by Toys R Us... or maybe Tonka.

Anybody remember Tonka?

Hardin said:
Nonsense, what they need to come out with is the Freepron ;)

I like the sound of it.

Seriously though, with the change from P4 to Core 2 Duo, AMD needs to step it up and move on. Another "Athlon" which does not perform on par, or close to Core2 Duo would just be another step. They want to make it seem like they have something new and fresh.

I like the sound of it.

Guys, don't get too personal with it. Stick with what's going on and keep the subject civil. Intel is kicking AMD AS5 to kingdom come for the first half of 2007 there's not denying that. Now I still prefer Ford's over Chevy's (both great cars/trucks) and I still prefer AMD over Intel 5-20% speed performance is not that important to me. I just dropped a 5600X2 into a socket AM2 that kicks some serious butt as far as I'm concerned and at 175 shipped, it was cheap butt too. As far as I'm concerned, what ever they call the K10 chips, I'm getting some.
"Let the chips fall where they may", "on my door step is a start :santa: "

X4 MEGATRON!!!11!1!one!

hkmegatron.jpg

Last edited:
AlabamaCajun said:
Guys, don't get too personal with it. Stick with what's going on and keep the subject civil. Intel is kicking AMD AS5 to kingdom come for the first half of 2007 there's not denying that. Now I still prefer Ford's over Chevy's (both great cars/trucks) and I still prefer AMD over Intel 5-20% speed performance is not that important to me. I just dropped a 5600X2 into a socket AM2 that kicks some serious butt as far as I'm concerned and at 175 shipped, it was cheap butt too. As far as I'm concerned, what ever they call the K10 chips, I'm getting some.
"Let the chips fall where they may", "on my door step is a start :santa: "

You prefer FixOrRepairDaily to Chevy? Oh come now! Is it really any question to anyone who buys cars to pick a Corvette over... oh... I suppose I'm getting off-topic again. :)

Well that's the thing... there are diehard AMD fans just like there are diehard Nintendo fans, but the problem is (except in the case of Nintendo... and maybe Apple) those fans don't really dictate the market. Your average Joe is just going to go to Best Buy or Circuit City (or maybe order from Dell) and get the fastest thing there that's on sale. And if the salesperson tells then that the C2D is the fastest thing on earth, and they see it's about the same price as the Athlon, then they'll get the C2D.

My point is the "Phenom" needs to be fifty steps beyond "acceptable" at this point. They need to be "tap-dancin' fantastic"... which probably isn't going to happen given their production problems. (And the name won't really help either.) Look at how quickly the C2D has invaded the laptop scene... When I bought my laptop less than a month and a half ago, it was still Core Duo vs. Turion X2. Now you can't even find a Core Duo. They've gone the way of the Core Solo. And there are more flavors of C2D laptops than all the AMDs put together. Not to mention they've stuck them in all the Macbooks, iBooks, G4s (or is it G5s now?). Sweet JESUS! You can't escape the damned things!

And AMD has responded with... a disturbing silence and the occasional press conference about a CPU or GPU that no one has actually seen.

I've been an AMD supporter for years. (Check out my profile). My last Intel CPU before this one (these two if you count my laptop) was a Pentium II. Intel lost me when they put some sort of tracking ID in the Pentium III. But AMD finally lost me when my Socket A motherboard got to be two generations behind in the same week. (It always seems like socket 754 and 939 were released like the same day...) And for two years I had no hope of upgrading. Which is pretty much the same thing that happened to me with Slot A before that. And by the time I'd saved up enough money to upgrade... along came the C2D.

And, oddly enough, a few million other people found themselves in the exact same position. VERY unfortunate timing for AMD who, as we've seen, were caught COMPLEEEEEEEEEETELY off gaurd. And here we are almost a full year later. And AMD now announces... A name.

Can we please avoid hotlinking images from other sites.
1) It uses their bandwidth
2) It's pretty rude
3) There's a bazillion free pic hosting sites out there
4) Some people can be very zealous in their anti-leecher pic selection....

Perhaps AMD can call their next processors "AMD Nuke X2", at least Iran and N.Korea will buy them in spades. :p

Last edited:
David said:

indeed, it was a horribly disgusting photo, and for some reason my system hard locked a few seconds after opening the thread... **** those tards! :mad: :mad:

rainless said:
You prefer FixOrRepairDaily to Chevy? Oh come now! Is it really any question to anyone who buys cars to pick a Corvette over... oh... I suppose I'm getting off-topic again. :)

~ Clipped - SEE POST 27 for the rest

And AMD has responded with... a disturbing silence and the occasional press conference about a CPU or GPU that no one has actually seen.
~
VERY unfortunate timing for AMD who, as we've seen, were caught COMPLEEEEEEEEEETELY off gaurd. And here we are almost a full year later. And AMD now announces... A name.

[smack]Bring It to the parking lot thread, Your Chevy, I'll drag it to the Levee with a Ford :p"[/smack]

From the looks over on the Video thread, DAAMMIT is getting flogged. I still have my X850 waiting on that next video core which except for technical slide shows it oddly silent. I'm not as much a fan of the company as I am of the Athlon and Opteron procs. Sure, I bought a bunch of 939 and AM2 boards over the past 2 years. I always wondered what was up with 754, I switched to AMD right at the release of the 939 so I never had a 754. With Intel Skt 775, what do you have, a 357 Cleveland in a Chevette chassis. FSB bandwidth is holding C2D back big time because Intel knows they will p*** off a lot of people to change the socket. Penryn was supposed to be the change but with AMD killing the K9 and gaining no ground, Intel chose the make more bucks option. I think once K10 is out, Zeons sittting on those puny little 771 sockets will be totally out classed. For servers running socket F, there is no reason to replace current working hardware. They will be able to go to Barcelona. Any future added blades or replacements will be in socket F+. That was where AMD did the best move by making the server change first. That's there bread and butter. Now they just have to fill the K10 orders and try to get 45nm production so they can compete for production efficiency.

As for desktops, I still see a lot of AMD Desktops selling so I would not ay it's dried up but it has slowed. I also still here it from people that AMD is not compatible and that BS costs AMD a lot of Desktop sales. I show casual PC buyer the reason not to listen to that CCity or BBuy salesman and go with the AMD.

As for the CPUs seeing the same problems as the GPU side, I doubt that's going to happen. The CPUs are built on a proven platform. ATI was an acquisition platform that is going to need time to reach maturity. The reason not to release K9 was that it was only a moderate step to what the K10 is bringing. I think AMD is repositioning itself to take the lead again the only problem is it got caught naked in the shower while they thought Intel was sleeping. Watching the Meroms and Dothans come out looked like more of Intels parade of P4+'s but the C2D had the big guns to take the lead.

Give AMD a few more weeks. IMO, AM2 is a great socket, better then 939 in my experience. Next year I'm looking to go to socket F+. This year it has been budget AM2 test rigs in the $100-$200 range. Next year I'm looking forward to a major change with possible DDR3. Like DDR2 upon release it will seem silly but look at where DDR2 goes today.

Last edited:
David said:
Can we please avoid hotlinking images from other sites.
1) It uses their bandwidth
2) It's pretty rude
3) There's a bazillion free pic hosting sites out there

Sorry, never had a problem before. I just put another pic on my server. I was just being lazy and lotlinked :eh?:

I just wish we had some solid info on the next chips , we all knew what C2d was going to be like Way before it was released ES chips were floating around like crazy . If we know more later this summer I might hold off , but now that my 4400+ died the c2d are so tempting . I think I will pick up the SS im planing before I get my next system , to give more time to come out before I deside.
Come on AMD give us some benchmark numbers PLEASE = )

Last edited:
AlabamaCajun said:
[smack]Bring It to the parking lot thread, Your Chevy, I'll drag it to the Levee with a Ford :p"[/smack]

From the looks over on the Video thread, DAAMMIT is getting flogged. I still have my X850 waiting on that next video core which except for technical slide shows it oddly silent. I'm not as much a fan of the company as I am of the Athlon and Opteron procs. Sure, I bought a bunch of 939 and AM2 boards over the past 2 years. I always wondered what was up with 754, I switched to AMD right at the release of the 939 so I never had a 754. With Intel Skt 775, what do you have, a 357 Cleveland in a Chevette chassis. FSB bandwidth is holding C2D back big time because Intel knows they will p*** off a lot of people to change the socket. Penryn was supposed to be the change but with AMD killing the K9 and gaining no ground, Intel chose the make more bucks option. I think once K10 is out, Zeons sittting on those puny little 771 sockets will be totally out classed. For servers running socket F, there is no reason to replace current working hardware. They will be able to go to Barcelona. Any future added blades or replacements will be in socket F+. That was where AMD did the best move by making the server change first. That's there bread and butter. Now they just have to fill the K10 orders and try to get 45nm production so they can compete for production efficiency.

As for desktops, I still see a lot of AMD Desktops selling so I would not ay it's dried up but it has slowed. I also still here it from people that AMD is not compatible and that BS costs AMD a lot of Desktop sales. I show casual PC buyer the reason not to listen to that CCity or BBuy salesman and go with the AMD.

As for the CPUs seeing the same problems as the GPU side, I doubt that's going to happen. The CPUs are built on a proven platform. ATI was an acquisition platform that is going to need time to reach maturity. The reason not to release K9 was that it was only a moderate step to what the K10 is bringing. I think AMD is repositioning itself to take the lead again the only problem is it got caught naked in the shower while they thought Intel was sleeping. Watching the Meroms and Dothans come out looked like more of Intels parade of P4+'s but the C2D had the big guns to take the lead.

Give AMD a few more weeks. IMO, AM2 is a great socket, better then 939 in my experience. Next year I'm looking to go to socket F+. This year it has been budget AM2 test rigs in the $100-$200 range. Next year I'm looking forward to a major change with possible DDR3. Like DDR2 upon release it will seem silly but look at where DDR2 goes today.

Lots of valid points. But what I don't see, for at least the next year, is an answer to the C2D.

The problem? It's *already* been a year. So now you're talking about two years of absolute slaughter. This is no good from about sixty different perspectives.

Actually if you add the year during the Release of Merom, Dothan and the P-D's it's already been over 2 years of damage. If AMD goes through Xmas before getting out Desktop cpus then it'll be a problem. I think they will come through though by looking at the success rate with getting Windsor and Brisbane out near the planed schedule.

Looking back at the F2-F3 procs, I see something interesting. The Windsors came first before the Opterons in stepping F2 (Santa Rosa and Santa Ana). This time Barcelone will proceed the Desktops in core K10. There has been a stepping G in desktops but no server chips as AMD was too close to release of K10 Opterons just shortly after Clovertowns.

rainless said:
Lots of valid points. But what I don't see, for at least the next year, is an answer to the C2D.

The problem? It's *already* been a year. So now you're talking about two years of absolute slaughter. This is no good from about sixty different perspectives.
2 years?
beginning of Q3 07 (in July) makes it less than one year since C2D was available to retails (and most probably you bought yours less than 6 months ago). Has Intel hypnotized you?
Anyway, I hear this time around it's C2D (penryn included) who's going to be slaughtered. Rainless speechless?:)

Shell said:
It reminds me of the Volkswagen Phaeton...
I honestly don't care fore the brand name, I just care if it owns for a good price.
And really... the Athlon is getting old, but nowhere near the dragged-on Pentium :p
Let's dub it the: P3ŷ-X4 and the P3ŷ-FX
offwall.gif

What is ŷ and how do you pronounce it?

--pak

Back