• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'athlon' named dropped.... meet 'Phenom' X4/X2/FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
god i can't wait for this month to be over so we can have some results so all these mind-numbing threads can stop...

Molester said:
god i can't wait for this month to be over so we can have some results so all these mind-numbing threads can stop...
It's called speculation and with all the down playing going on will be rubbish after the number show it owning the Core Pawn!

AlabamaCajun said:
It's called speculation.
Four-five years ago, the golden time of this forum, speculation threads were the best threads. :)

Super Nade said:
Only those days it was more inquisitive and less of a fanboyish crapfest. I'm keeping an eye on this one.

Heh... Well it doesn't necessarily HELP that there are seperate Intel and AMD forums. I've seen AMD fans make the most assinine comments about the C2D without knowing the slightest thing about the processor. And then of course there are all the Intel people that never set foot inside the AMD forum (kind of reminds me of all the people who live on the North Side of Chicago who've never even SEEN the south side.)

At least if it was all in one place the users would have to be familiar with the basics of all the various platforms. (Though I do understand the logistics problems this would cause.)

But on another note... there really isn't anything to speculate about. As someone else pointed out there were the ES versions of the C2D available months in advance. People we *knew* (or at least sources we deemed reliable) actually had the thing in hand and were overclocking it and giving us SuperPi results and everything else.

There just doesn't seem to be that much available information this time around. There wasn't even a "flood" of info on the C2D... there was a TIDAL WAVE.

AMD have preferred to hold their cards to their chest, which could be because of genuine problems or because of poor marketing strategy. There seems to be a lull in AMD's technical PR campaign. I think ATI's no-show is telling on them.

Super Nade said:
AMD have preferred to hold their cards to their chest, which could be because of genuine problems or because of poor marketing strategy. There seems to be a lull in AMD's technical PR campaign. I think ATI's no-show is telling on them.

That's unfortunate. Even if their CPUs don't wind-up being faster than Intel's, there are plenty of die-hards who simply don't card and would by whatever they put out anyway... if there was just a sign... or a clue... or SOMETHING.

But I think because of the closed nature of this next release a lot of those people have given up after nearly a year of waiting and not even a hint at what to expect next.

If they would release a few chips and say "ours might not be the fastest... but it'll be cheaper... or have a shinier box... or not be called 'Phenom'..." then they could make those people hold on a little while longer...

As such, however, they're building their own disaster.

rainless said:
That's unfortunate. Even if their CPUs don't wind-up being faster than Intel's, there are plenty of die-hards who simply don't card and would by whatever they put out anyway... if there was just a sign... or a clue... or SOMETHING.

But I think because of the closed nature of this next release a lot of those people have given up after nearly a year of waiting and not even a hint at what to expect next.

If they would release a few chips and say "ours might not be the fastest... but it'll be cheaper... or have a shinier box... or not be called 'Phenom'..." then they could make those people hold on a little while longer...

As such, however, they're building their own disaster.

tell me what did intel do for the 4 years they got their asses beat by amd? or is that too far back for you?

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
tell me what did intel do for the 4 years they got their asses beat by amd? or is that too far back for you?

Settle down cutie-pie. I don't work for Intel. :)

Looks like Daily Tech layed it all out Phenom, pronounced like Venom, will replace the Athlon name for the mid and upper chips.

I still think Pawnteron would have been better. :cry:

Soon the ES samples for Desktops should be out. How many people got Zeon samples? Barcelona is a server chip and with it's market value, I'm sure AMD has picked people in the server arena to sample ESs. As I keep reiterating, this the server release.

Last edited:
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
sure seems like it. but come on, humor me, tell me what Intel did when AMD was towering over them ever since K8 was on retail shelfs??

You're forgetting an essential point (actually there are TWO points you're overlooking, but I'm trying to be nice).

That point being: I don't CARE what Intel did then. Nobody cares. Because that's in the past, and it doesn't matter. (And for the record, I had the AMD CPU in my profile during most of that period.)

I mean I could look it up somewhere... But I don't care.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
sure seems like it. but come on, humor me, tell me what Intel did when AMD was towering over them ever since K8 was on retail shelfs??
um, they continued to sell lots and lots of processors, and they continued to make a very good profit on them, without having to slash the prices to rock bottom levels.

you asked. :p

but back on topic, i wanna see these things in action! i'm tired of the cpu market stagnating...c2d was a breath of fresh air, now we NEED amd to respond. :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
um, they continued to sell lots and lots of processors, and they continued to make a very good profit on them, without having to slash the prices to rock bottom levels.

but back on topic, i wanna see these things in action! i'm tired of the cpu market stagnating...c2d was a breath of fresh air, now we NEED amd to respond. :D
Good points, P4's outsold everything out there, they don't call Intel Chipzilla just for kicks. Even while AMD ranked as the best, Intel still ranked as the volume king. If it were'nt for all that extra reserve and a team in Israel AMD would be cleaning their clock. Also AMD would not have droped K9 to short cycle over to K10 which gained about 6 monts off the turn around time. This is why AMD seems late but they did not stagnate just released incremental upgrades (AM2, 65nm etc). I Intel chucked 10,000+ jobs to get Conroe out the door for profits also, thats business I guess. AMD also chucked a few jobs too but more for survival.

As for C2D, Athlon 64 was the first breath bringing 64bits and I was on the stagnant P4s and made the switch. Then AMD released the first true DC chips, second breath making the Conroe third.

Last edited:
hUMANbEATbOX said:

I agree. I'm as frustrated as anyone by the lack of AMDs response. I'll have to eventually build a computer for my uncle. It would be nice to have some new technology to play with. I never got in on the 64-bit revolution (I was stuck on socket-a). It'd be nice to check out this whole "hyper-threading" thing.

AlabamaCajun said:
Good points, P4's outsold everything out there, they don't call Intel Chipzilla just for kicks. Even while AMD ranked as the best, Intel still ranked as the volume king. If it were'nt for all that extra reserve and a team in Israel AMD would be cleaning their clock. Also AMD would not have droped K9 to short cycle over to K10 which gained about 6 monts off the turn around time. This is why AMD seems late but they did not stagnate just released incremental upgrades (AM2, 65nm etc). I Intel chucked 10,000+ jobs to get Conroe out the door for profits also, thats business I guess. AMD also chucked a few jobs too but more for survival.

As for C2D, Athlon 64 was the first breath bringing 64bits and I was on the stagnant P4s and made the switch. Then AMD released the first true DC chips, second breath making the Conroe third.

totally agree with everything. :)

i meant stagnating, in the sense that even the a64's were already getting long in the tooth. they held the crown for a long time while intel carried on the same old same old. intel took their time to come to terms with the fact that they needed something new to overcome the fatal flaw of netburst, power leakage. they realized far too late that 10ghz was a pipe dream (although not as late as one would think...it all started with the banias). intel came out with something new that set new performance levels not seen before with the c2d. now i wait with baited breath for amd to step up there with them. i am very confident they can do it, i just hope they can manage (or should i say, not-mismanage) their finances long enough to fully realize their next releases.

unOFFICIAL AMD Phenom THEME SONG:
HTML:
<HTML>
 <BODY style="background-color: #FFFFFF; background-image: url(http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/476/amdblackpba2.png); ">
  <BGSOUND SRC="http://content.ytmnd.com/content/f/f/c/ffca1d1aecdb6609f35df7f5b4d0ae77.wav" loop="-1" volume="0" AUTOSTART="true" hidden="true">
 </BODY>
</HTML>

Let's hope AMD brings down the hammer on Intel with another awesome processor!

Last edited:
Hehee this is some good fanboy reading in this thread. Good Sunday afternoon entertainment! Too bad there are some straight-out wrong statements made by people, if you're going to fanboy-flame at least make sure your facts are right.

Sorin said:
But in a similar vein, what the flying holy hell is a Penryn or a Nehalem? :confused:

I believe they are geographical location names, Intel tends to use that for their codenames.

Last edited:
AlabamaCajun said:

Intel wouldn't be where they are right now without AMD. Cajun and I used to compare benches from his P4C 2.4GHz vs. my XP-M @ 2.5GHz and the XP would smoke the P4. In my eyes AMD had the performance lead at SocketA. Then 64bit & IMC -> True DC -> (where's Intel- oh yeah, NetBurst). Intels continue to sell anyway, AMD still has the performance lead (gains market share). Then where Intel really got smart was with their Mobile platform. Which is where Intel really made their move in turn culminating into what is now C2D.

AMD will respond.

I hate the name (guess I'll get used to it), but.... GOOOOOOOOOO Phenom!!!! :attn:

Back