• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi X800 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hUMANbEATbOX said:
its true, it runs cooler and draws less power supposedly

well im not sure about the power usage, but the 9800 cards must've ran damn hot cause my x800 idles at about 40C then up to 70C load, everyone elses is about the same as well

What card are you running right now? When asking whether an upgrade to X card is worthwhile, it would be helpful to know what you're upgrading from. ;) -- Paul

Gregory_WE said:
In all likelihood, PCI Express will not increase performance of video cards by much if at all. Basically all it offers performance-wise is more bandwidth, which simply is not needed. AGP 4X vs 8X, only main difference is more bandwidth, yet there's no performance gain. More interconnect bandwidth does not equal more performance, it is not the bottleneck.

Partialy true. I doubt you'd want to use an old ISA or PCI video card right now, so AGP's additional bandwidth is needed. It's just that PCI-E wont show the advantage of its extra bandwidth in the short term. Long term PCI-E will make AGP look like an old ISA card....

Soon as I can get a reasonable price on one of these (lower than the current newegg price but not to much) im gonna grab one since my 9800 is crapping out totally.

Isn't this card supposed to sell for 399.00? I guess if you absolutely can't wait to buy it, then you could spend the extra 61.00. I would wait for ATI to get caught up a little bit in the production area a little and wait for the X800XT if your going to spend that kind of money. I know the prices will come down to MSRP one of these days. I would love an X800XT but I just bought a 9800XT back in February so I'm going to have to wait a while. I'm dieing to know what that thing would run like in my 3.4 with 2 Gigs of Corsair XMS Pro Series RAM.

Get the X800 Pro

I have had my Sapphire X800 pro for about 2 weeks and it's a great card. I was going to get the X800 XT but my cpu is a bottle neck. I have a barton 2500+ @2.2ghz = XP 3200+. I am playing far cry at 1280x1024 with everything on high, 4x AA, 16X af and it runs great. The card overclocks quite well also. I have it running at 500 core and 500 = 1ghz ddr 3. I could maybe go higher but I just paid alot of money for this card and dont want to ruin it. I ordered mine from www.canadacomputers.com and they have em in stock.

I am upgrading from (are you ready for this) an nVidia MX440......let the laughing roll on.

It is all I have every really needed. I overclocked it and it made a bit of difference. Then I started Playing Battlefield Vietnam, maxed it all and noticed mouse lag....Ugh.

So anything is better than what I have, BUT, I'm weary of heading back to Ati, especially if I'm gonna spend that kind of money.

You have all offered valuable insight, thank-you. I'm heading to Newegg to see if I can get one.

I see you Dragonprince, may you find shade and water.

hahahaha oblivion you will see a gigantic performance leap if you are upgrading from the 9000 to the x800xt-pe. where are you getting it from im considering either getting that vcard or the 9800pro and flashing it to Xt. but money is kinda an issue but. im willing to pay it if its worth it

LOL Ive only been using this ATI 9000 card since September of last year and before that I was using a Radeon 32mb from 2001-2003 and even before that I was using the 1mb video integrated on mobo in my P60 from 1993-2000. Thats my history for you LOLOL

Ill probably get the X800XT-PE when HL2 goes Gold hopfully September. Im not really thrilled anymore with Doom3. Farcry is good but, theres just nothing more it can offer me unless there was 2 player online coop playing in single player maps. Only reason why HL2 is a must for me is because of the engine which exceeds that even of Farcry and Doom3 in terms of physics. When you hit any particular area on a piece of wood with a gun, it will crack at the point where you hit it and not bounce away like in Doom3 or Farycry. There are very very few areas in Farcry that do this individual hit areas but, in HL2 its virtually every object and surface in the game.

When September comes around Im sure the price of the XT-PE will drop and I'll probably end up getting a third party distributer brand that enhances the card in terms of cooling or the sort. I got 500 saved so its no biggie for me. Ive been using crappy cards for the longest time so I'm in no rush.

the X800 is twice as fast as the 9800XT.

PCI-Express is sort of considered as AGP16X. This is just an example. AGP16X dont exist.

PCI-Express cannnot co-exist with AGP slot. If you want to use a PCI-Express videocard, this means you will have to change your motherboard also.

The X800 pro isn't available in Ireland yet :(

I have a Ti4600 at the moment which runs Far Cry surprisingly well.

I am hoping to get an X800pro shortly. Will I notice the difference?

Will the game just run smoother at higher resolutions or will I notice am improvment in grafx too?

All X800 models are made as Agp and Pci-Express as are all the Nvidia 6800 models as well. Nvidia is also allowing a bridging on future cards beyond the N40 to allow you to go from Pci-Xpress to Agp or the other way around. Im sure Ati will do the same if they haven't already.

As for performance just look at this site which compares the next generation cards from both companies...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2044&p=11

pyramus said:
The X800 pro isn't available in Ireland yet :(

I have a Ti4600 at the moment which runs Far Cry surprisingly well.

I am hoping to get an X800pro shortly. Will I notice the difference?

Will the game just run smoother at higher resolutions or will I notice am improvment in grafx too?

Yes, you will notice a difference because the X800 can use PS and VS 2.0 while the Ti4600 can only do PS 1.4 and VS 1.1. And you will be able to use AA and AF at very high resolutions.

does Aquamark utlize PS 3.0 and if so has anyone taken any pics of it using the 6800 compared to PS 2.0?

For those of you buying an x800, the good old brick-and-mortar stores have them cheaper than anywhere else on the web :eek: . I got mine from Bestbuy less than a week after the x800 was announced and only paid 399.99 LINKY, also only paid $6 for next day air too, so check out the shipping options.

I think CompUSA also has them in stock @ 399, and they had a special going on a while ago, but I'm pretty sure that's over now.

too bad compusa now sells the 6800 ultra for like 671 WOW
just go ahead and get the x800 pro no game will be slowed down by that card, Its like buying a corvette and only being able to go 70. While your 3dmark scores will be increased with an XT PE, you wont be able to notice a differance in games because your monitor wont refresh fast enough.

Did you look at the FPS diffrence betweent he Pro and XT-PE? Just look at the site I posted and you will see a big diffrence in Farcry alone as well as others.

Back