• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bench all the LGA775 Things [Round II]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Some time ago ... well - eight (!!) years ago ... I set myself a challenge to bench all the LGA775 chips I could get my hands on. Today, I dug the bits out of the cupboard, and plan to see if it still boots... using this thread as a log of me trying to figure out how to overclock something for the first time in eight years and score some points on HWBot. Call it a silver lining from me being trapped in my house all day due to COVID-19 closing the University - something to do on my lunch breaks!

The Plan:
(i) Make sure the rig boots
(ii) Overclock the things
(iii) Bench the things
(iv) Claim HWBot points for the things

Original thread: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/701561-Bench-All-The-Things!-The-LGA775-Challenge

I used to do the same on some more platforms. In the end, I was usually switching platforms because I had no more good motherboards (many died in the process) and most CPUs were below the average. I think I still have some untested 754 and 939 chips but no working motherboards.

Last edited:
The gear:

Asus Rampage Formula
Corsair A70 cooler
2 x 2 GB RAM (need to figure out the spec.)
600W Corsair PSU
320GB HDD

2020-06-03 13.03.03.jpg
2020-06-03 13.10.29.jpg
2020-06-03 13.03.19.jpg

"Some" CPUs ...

2020-06-03 13.08.45.jpg

Celeron 326 @ 2.53 GHz
Celeron 336 @ 2.8 GHz
Celeron 420 @ 1.6 GHz

P4 3.0 GHz
P4 3.2 GHz x2
P4 3.4 GHz

P4 521 @ 2.8 GHz
P4 531 @ 3.0 GHz
P4 551 @ 3.4 GHz

P4 620 @ 2.8 GHz
P4 630 @ 3.0 GHz
P4 631 @ 3.0 GHz
P4 640 @ 3.2 GHz
P4 650 @ 3.4 GHz

Celeron Dual Core E1200 @ 1.6 GHz

Pentium-D 820 @ 2.8
Pentium-D 840 @ 3.2
Pentium-D 915 @ 2.8
Pentium-D 925 @ 3.0

Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ 2.0 GHz

Core 2 Duo 6300 @ 1.86 Ghz

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I used to do the same on some more platforms. In the end, I was usually switching platforms because I had no more good motherboards (many died in the process) and most CPUs were below the average. I think I still have some untested 754 and 939 chips but no working motherboards.

I'm hoping that most of this gear is cheap enough that I can pick up several of each in order to find the better chips. I think even the C2D and C2Q chips are likely to be pretty cheap these days. Probably going to spend more on thermal paste than on CPUs :)

Have fun with that :thup:
One time I had ~50x s478 run ... I really hated this socket since then :p

I'm hoping that most of this gear is cheap enough that I can pick up several of each in order to find the better chips. I think even the C2D and C2Q chips are likely to be pretty cheap these days. Probably going to spend more on thermal paste than on CPUs :)

P4 and PD can get for $1 each :) I had some for free from my brother's old work. They were replacing computers and someone thought it's a good idea to destroy everything. Some CPUs, not many RAM sticks, and some laptops were still usable.

Good news: it boots! (Using the Celeron E1200 for testing) This Win7 install has been asleep for several years ... probably in need of some signficant Windows Update time.

2020-06-03 13.48.01.jpg

Bad news is that I don't have any pen drives at home (argh) and I'm not in the office again until a week tomorrow. I also don't have a spare wifi dongle, so I need to order a few things off the web before I'm properly up and running. Glad to see the gear actually works though.

EDIT: Just remembered I have a 10 m ethernet cable so I've run it from the front door to the spare room. Messy but functional!

Last edited:
Ok - decided to get a 120 GB SSD for this, and try to score a decent GPU from eBay without spending too much money - probably a GTX770 or thereabouts. Probably like sticking a 6 liter V8 on your bicycle, but should be fun ...

Ok - decided to get a 120 GB SSD for this, and try to score a decent GPU from eBay without spending too much money - probably a GTX770 or thereabouts. Probably like sticking a 6 liter V8 on your bicycle, but should be fun ...
Don't need any of that to bench CPU's. ;)
Buy more chips. Points are tough to come by with 775 on just ambient.

Don't need any of that to bench CPU's. ;)
Buy more chips. Points are tough to come by with 775 on just ambient.

I'm just impatient - the machine is infuriating to use with a single core CPU and spinning HDD :)

If I find myself having enough time to tinker with this machine I'll look at picking up some water cooling for it.

I do have the kit for running dry ice or LN2, and access to these at work, but with the physical distancing measures in place once the site is open these are probably not options for a while. I did manage to do some dry ice work when I was doing my PhD - the dry ice is delivered weekly and never lasts over the weekend so I was able to score a couple of kg for free and come in at the weekend to use it.

Haha. Take that Celeron 420, double the stock FSB for 2x the clock rate, have fun.

I still have one and it would do 3.2GHz on the Intel cooler with no extra volts. Damn fun chip to OC.

Haha. Take that Celeron 420, double the stock FSB for 2x the clock rate, have fun.

I still have one and it would do 3.2GHz on the Intel cooler with no extra volts. Damn fun chip to OC.

I think the record clockspeed on HWBot is 4.2 GHz ... crazy... hoping to squeeze some MHz out of this one!

Win10 installation was not playing nice on the Celeron (too slow?) so I've swapped it out for another chip. It looks like my C2D may be dead though :(. Currently got a Pentium Dual core in there to install all the necessary software for benching, ready for some tweaking in a few hours.

Got a GTX770 on the way, and hoping this will help score some points with 3DMark and the like. I'm not expecting to score 1st place at anything, but hopefully I can pick up a few points here and there! The GTX770 can go in another rig for folding@home when not in use for benching.

I had an E2180 that was most likely far below average!

It was acting up at only 3.0! Then it seemed to degrade, even when I had no more than 1.4 V!

Then Prime95 started failing at even 2.9 and Prime95 would then out of the blue fail sooner, even when turned down to 2.9, FFS!

So, Windows behaved itself, but now Benchmate starts, opens, and then closes. I'm not quite sure what's up. I might have to do without, but this will of course limit what scores I can submit to HWbot ...

So, Windows behaved itself, but now Benchmate starts, opens, and then closes. I'm not quite sure what's up. I might have to do without, but this will of course limit what scores I can submit to HWbot ...

Possibly bad caps in your Corsair CX series PSU.

Absolutely love this idea. I was really tempted to get back into benching some old gear in the downtime alas I have decided there are more sensible things to spend time on, like a fully custom built case!

Best of luck and do post pictures of the setup please!

No progress recently because we need to clean and tidy this place for putting it on the market... hoping to move to somewhere bigger this summer. Downside: OH says I can't make any mess. Upside: New house will have a room turned into a home office (read: space for more computers).

Possibly bad caps in your Corsair CX series PSU.

I thought it was the CF that was misbehaving? I have a spare one somewhere that I can dig out and try.

Back