• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent pins on cpu socket motherboard, perfomance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aente

Registered
Hello
So I noticed bent pins like 1.5 year ago on my mobo, back then I thought it is how it supposed to be so I dont really cared much. PC is working but I wonder if that can affect perfomance of my computer?
Here is photo of that, not the best quality but on the right side You can see 2 pins bent to other side.
2015_06_03_18_31_56.jpg

I run games very well for example Battlefield 4 on Ultra runs good, but I saw that I have problems with Battlefield 1. People on simmilar rig to mine dont have dips in framerates.

My pc spec:
e3 1231 v3
gtx970
8gb ram 1600mhz
ssd drive

I wonder if there is slight chance that bent pins can cause higher cpu usage? I saw on youtube someone with simmilar rig to mine but better gpu had cpu usage around 60-70% while playing battlefield 1. My cpu go around 90-100%.

Bent pins will typically just cause things not to work/or fail. It won't cause performance 'dips'. In fact be lucky it's still working after all this time... Most of the time bent pins will stop PCIE lanes or RAM slots from working correctly/detecting hardware, and in some cases just won't allow booting.

Your issue likely lies elsewhere like Ed stated

Should I try to unbent them?
Could it cause problems if PC keeps working with those bent pins?

I would not touch them. You will likely make it worse if you don't know what you're doing. I would leave your pins alone at this stage and try diagnose other issues.

Yup I could make it worse. I feel like I am at the dead end and don't really know what to check next.
Could You suggest what to diagnose now?

What are your settings? Are you using more than the 3.5GB of fast vram on the card? I'd check that use....

I mean people with gtx 970 on stock clocks do well in Battlefield 1 on ultra settings. And they dont have dips below 60 fps. I have dips to 30-40 even on medium.

You say 'people'... but what are their settings and resolution? The exact same as yours? What sett8ngs are you playing at? Resolution?

Again, I'd personally check your vram use on the card... I doubt that is it as well.

Their settings was ultra preset in Battlefield and they played at 1080p. But thanks for answer tomorrow I will check that when I get to home. And I was playing at every possible settings, from ultra to low at 1080p and every preset from low to ultra had dips to 40 fps.

BF supposedly runs BETTER on some cards at higher settings, that lower. Medium or lower may cause stuttering based on some reviews. Try running at everything with 'High' only, but keep AA/Post processing to Medium, keep ambient occlusion to SSAO or OFF. Also in the console (~ to open), perfoverlay.enable true then perfoverlay.enable drawgraph i think are the commands. This will tell you if your GPU or CPU are spiking badly, as the lines should be relatively consistent throughout gameplay.

Also use MSI Afterburner and use the overlay (Also MAKE SURE you're running in DX11 mode, do NOT use DX12 for Nvidia cards.)

Also in the options turn off graphics memory limitation.

Okay thanks for all of the tips, I will try them tooday when I get back. I have Gigabyte gtx970 and i use Gigabyte OC guru should I switch over to Afterburner even if I have Gigabyte card?

cpuusage.png
This is what bugs me most Battlefield 1 uses around 52% of cpu but cpu usage is around 90% and as you can see on that screen nothing uses as much to result usage on 90%. Also that dip in usage was when i alt tabed game so dont pay attention to that.

There are not much spikes even if game runs around 40 fps, without aa on off,ambient occlusion was bit better. But there is silent 35% usage when gaming, from what I understand here on my screen game uses 52% and whole usage is 87%. Is that normal that I cant see what uses another 35% of my cpu.

Its werid because people with pretty simmilar rigs go on ultra without any problems and tier fps are around 80, I saw plenty videos on youtube with people that play battlefield 1 on simmilar rigs. And they use normal ultra preset with means that aa is on etc.

People still have great results playing battlefield 1 with 8 gb of ram even on ultra I don't think thats the case.
Or You saying that my ram can possibly be faulty?

Its your ram. BF1 has a known memory leak issues, and if you notice, your ram usage is VERY high. You are actively using 7.1gb of your 8gb, and you have 9.7gb committed. since your cache size is only 797mb, that means your computer is trying to use 9gb of ram... that you just dont have.

So yeah, I think its the case.

edit: 8gb is "fine", its going to keep going up and up no matter how much you have. The problem is the coding of the game itself. The only other issue would be a virus using system memory as well.

Do You know what should I do in that case?

@edit so I did reinstal of windows, wiped all of the data on both ssd and hdd. And Pc still commits 9.8 ram instead of 8.
Bez_tytu_u.png here is screen shot its just taken when I normally use pc chrome, downloading games etc.

Last edited:
Back