• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best GF4 vid card under $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Ok kids, here is our mission:

Looking for the "best" GF4 vid card under $200 or so.

Features to keep in mind: 128 MB, speed, cooling, cost, overclockability, quality, reliability, and preferably one that supports 8X AGP.

Please don't crap on my thread about Radeon. Bless you Radeon fanatics, you know I love you and I know you mean well, but this is for GF4 only. Yes, I know some of the new Radeon cards, especially the 9500 Pro, are great. But, I have my heart set on a GF4, so please respect that.

Here are some possible choices (prices are all newegg.com):

Abit Siluro GF4 Ti4200 128MB OTES (retail box $194): I love this new cooling system with the outside exhaust, this is a very stable card with great reviews and with 275/550 core/memory default speed, which is the same speeds as most Ti4400 (supports 8X AGP).

Albatron GF4 Ti4200P Turbo 128MB ($185): Impressive 3.3 ns memory that overclocks well, but the core is only clocked at 225 MHz default (only 4X AGP though).

Leadtek GF4 Ti4400 128MB ($186): A Ti4400 card priced like a Ti4200 card with 275/550 core/memory default speed (only 4X AGP though).

Chaintech GF4 Ti4200 128 MB ($168): A good bargain priced card with 250/500 core/memory default speed (supports 8X AGP).

MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB ($156): Another bargain priced card (but I've heard the cooling is wimpy), although it has good performance reviews 250/500 core/memory default speed (only 4X AGP though).

Gainward GF4 Ti4200 128MB ($178): A good card with 3.6 ns memory, 225/500 core/memory default speed (supports 8X AGP).

ASUS V9280TD Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB ($190): A nice fast card 250/512 core/memory default speed (supports 8X AGP).

Ok, there are the contenders, did I miss anything? I love the new Abit Siluro (see link below) and it's cool exhaust fan. I think maybe this might be my next vid card unless y'all can convince me otherwise. Ain't it pretty (see pic)?

top.jpg

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q4/abit-otes/index.x?pg=1

Starfoxer said:
radeon 9500 pro ;)

ROTFLMAO...:p

Seriously...I just got the BFG Tech "Asylum" GF4 Ti4200 128MB.... while it's only 4x, it's a pretty good card for me so far. Too bad you didn't post this a week ago...it was on sale Black Friday at BestBuy.

I've got my rig running at 148FSB, the vid card is NOT overclocked, and I'm running UT2K3 with every graphics setting maxed out and getting 50 - 70 FPS (it drops down to high 40's in heavy firefights only.

(AMD XP1800+ @ 1702, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, 512MB PC2100, BTW...)

batboy said:
Ok, there are the contenders, did I miss anything? I love the new Abit Siluro (see link below) and it's cool exhaust fan. I think maybe this might be my next vid card unless y'all can convince me otherwise. Ain't it pretty (see pic)?

top.jpg

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q4/abit-otes/index.x?pg=1

one downside to that card, i hear that it is ridiculously loud. it's a good card and all, but i would recommend a leadtek a250 le td (gf4 ti 4200) or the leadtek a250 td (gf4 ti 4400) i love the leadtek cards and they are fairly inexpensive... (within your limit)

If not out yet, ALbatron is gonna be making the turbo in 8x AGP. Im still not comvinced 8x isnt a marketing gimmick

Noisy??? Like I'll be able to hear it over my 80mm Delta CPU fan and the 6 other fans... lol.

To be honest, 8X will probably have a several month lag before most mobos will support it before and software (notably games) start really utilizing it. But, I want it anyway.

batboy said:
Noisy??? Like I'll be able to hear it over my 80mm Delta CPU fan and the 6 other fans... lol.

To be honest, 8X will probably have a several month lag before most mobos will support it before and software (notably games) start really utilizing it. But, I want it anyway.

well if you want an 8x card, get the leadtek a280 le td (gf4 ti 4200). it is the same as the leadtek a250 le td except it has 8x support instead of only 4x

4X agp does not hold back a Geforce4....8X agp at this point is just marketing unless you have a 9700Pro and event then the difference is negligable

As I understand it, all GF4 cores are speed sorted and the fastest become 4600s (get the high-power PCB) so I doubt there's headroom to OC. It's funny because in a [more accurate] way the Albatron is really a bad 4600.

I remember MSI was highly rated when GF4 was the big thing, the Gainward also ranked well, they usually do.

b_usa said:
Has anybody had any experience with these Leadtech cards with the wrap-around heatsink? Ive read that they get really hot, which seems weird, seeing how they have two fans and that humongous heatsink.
Check out the link to see a pic...
http://www.angelfire.com/retro/fit2/Document.html

yup, i have one myself. mine is the ti 4400 version... it does get hot but it is supposed to be hot... it's a heatsink... that means that it is transferring heat properly. i love the card and wouldn't trade it for another... (unless it was a radeon 9700 pro :D )

Don't know which one is the best , but Asus and Msi Gf4 Ti4200 are good cards with great bundle and price (ughh..maybe only MSI on the price :) )

I have the MSI 128mb and its a good card, oc'd to 280/560 straight away (havent bothered to try any higher)

got 9100 in 3d mark (with a p4 willie!!!)

had a few probs with drivers and CS but running the 30.82's and absolutely rock solid, the package games (extra Utils etc) is great too too

The MSI Ti4200 is a good bargain. So is the Leadtek Ti4400 which is a faster card. The Abit Siluro Ti4200 at default speed out of the box is actually clocked at typical Ti4400 speeds. To make the decision even tougher, this morning I've read a couple more reviews about the Albatron Ti4200P Turbo. Looks like the default core speed might really be 250 MHz, not the 225 that I originally posted. Regardless, these cards appear to be amazing overclockers, generally reaching Ti4600 speeds with a little tweaking. Dang, makes it very hard to choose.

Now this is really funny. I'm ready to order a vid card that isn't even on my original list in the first post of the thread. It don't even have 8X either. I decided to increase my budget a little and will end up paying $230 US. Anyone wanna take a guess on what my new card will now be?

I am eriously close to buying this card from newegg for $185.00... What kind of fps do you get with it in UT2003? If there is anything I should know about this card will someone please tell me, as I work really hard (loading trucks in a filthy warehouse) for the little money I have, and dont want to get stuck with junk. Also, I probably wont be getting another card for awhile after this. And dont tell me to waitt for the GF FX, cuz I cant wait 6 months till they get to the affordable price range for me...:p

b_usa, you can't go wrong with that Leadtek Ti4400 for $185, that was in the top running for my choice too for a while. The Abit Siluro GF4 Ti4200 128MB OTES (4X version not the 8X one) is also about the same price and speed. The Albatron Ti4200 Turbo is an awesome overclocker and a good bargain too.

I have decided to go with the Albatron Ti4600 which has a default speed of 300 core and 550 memory, but has been known to overclock at 330 core and over 700 memory. Initially I was trying to get under $200, but I decided for $230 shipped from newegg.com, I can't go wrong (since I can afford it).

Last edited:
b_usa said:

I am eriously close to buying this card from newegg for $185.00... What kind of fps do you get with it in UT2003? If there is anything I should know about this card will someone please tell me, as I work really hard (loading trucks in a filthy warehouse) for the little money I have, and dont want to get stuck with junk. Also, I probably wont be getting another card for awhile after this. And dont tell me to waitt for the GF FX, cuz I cant wait 6 months till they get to the affordable price range for me...:p

i really couldn't tell you the fps i get in UT2003 since i have never played it myself. i can tell you anything you would like to know about 3dmark2001se though... i know that it isn't the best indication since it also depends on a lot of other things but so does ut2k3.
http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=5161547
i find that it is more than adequate.

Now this is really funny. I'm ready to order a vid card that isn't even on my original list in the first post of the thread. It don't even have 8X either. I decided to increase my budget a little and will end up paying $230 US. Anyone wanna take a guess on what my new card will now be?

Gainward GF4Ti4600??

Back