• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LIQUID for watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ares350 said:
that is strange. my old system was running for 4 years, never had it cleaned through, just topped it off. that was not pure water obviously, it had some purple colored antifreeze in it, and the tubing was blue(though not opaque).

after 4 years, I was suprised when I opened my water block and found it in 99% new condition. some of that grey corrosion, but nothing severe. it was an RDX block or something, little acrylic thing with tiny maybe 1/16" holes to force the water through, and they werent clogged at all after 4 years.

if you really want clean water, just get an inline UV light. their made for aquariums of course, and they will kill absolutely anything in the water. nothing will survive. of course their probably 50-100$ atleast, gotta swap the bulbs out occassionally(6months-1year). but it will certainly solve any bacteria growth.

of course, with pure water, you need to think about your materials, copper and brass or aluminum or whatever will cause some nasty corrosion without additives. but thats another issue to address or not depending on your setup.
thanks, but not sure if i wanna make my case an aquarium. :) (you know i mean no harm)... that's nuts that you did 4 yrs... so what was it that you had in there exactly... purple

Nebulous said:
Yup, still using most of the stuff I got from you. I used a plastic type of brillo pad with a slim stick to push all the crap from inside the tubing walls. Took a few passes, but got them clean.

The stuff I got from you still has the "stain" inside the walls that won't come out, but the newer stuff I have with it is still clear and clean, that's how i know there isn't any crap growth.

Been trying to get a few feet of new tubing just to redo the lines. lemme know what you're getting. I'll chip in for the xtra .

I gave you tubing once or twice? The first time I used the MCT fluid from dangerden (32oz bottle)... the second time was distilled and anti-freeze mixture. The 3rd time (this time I just cleaned) was distilled and Swiftech HydrX...

Maybe it's my rad...??? Maybe it's NOT bacteria? I mean, my tubes ARE cloudy...

Neb, let me know where you got the stuff to clean your tubing... I may spend the time cleaning them up this time around... I have new tubing to use, but maybe I'll clean these and do a swap every once in a while.

... still trying to figure out what mixture I wanna use... I'm probably gonna do it tonight cuz last night it got late before I could finish.

CGR said:
Purple Ice.....

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.html

Good stuff, but obviously its purple :)
again, this is similar to the water wetter i bought...

just like the link that Krag gave here:
www.hyperluber.com

they all have the same description for what they do... so i guess the water wetter i got may do the trick.

the only thing is, my water wetter is RED... i have swiftech hydrx on the way to me b/c i wanted to add UV dye to my loop... green and red won't mix well i presume? or will that become ORANGE???

now i just need to find RED UV DYE if possible... so that i won't have to mix the hydrx in...

I dont like water wetter or Hydrx personally. Have had not so good experiences with both..

Also I had a very bad experience with Hydrx and reactive dye. It formed this terrible coating on the inside of my tubing withing a couple days. It was this white flakey substance.. Will never add reactive dye again...

CGR said:
I dont like water wetter or Hydrx personally. Have had not so good experiences with both..

Also I had a very bad experience with Hydrx and reactive dye. It formed this terrible coating on the inside of my tubing withing a couple days. It was this white flakey substance.. Will never add reactive dye again...
the white flakey is caused by aluminum... i had that before when i had a maze4gpu cooler... it was aluminum... had a very small scratch on the inside of the block, which broke through the paint and exposed the aluminum.

that could likely be your case as well. i quickly purchased a swiftech mcw60 and haven't had the white flakey stuff again.

Yo Gman, all i used was Ajax diswashing liquid and plastic scrub pads. I'm sure you've seen dish sponges with a scrub pad on one side, well it's that scrub pad. You can find them in the supermarket/ Dollar stores, just the scrub pad alone.

Get a slim stick, pole or rod to push a piece of the pad thru, then use a piece of t-shirt cotton to push the leftover crap left behind by the scrub pad. I soaked the tubing in hot water with the dish soap to soften up the crap and tubing so it's easier to work with.

After all the scrubbing, rinse out with reg tap water, then dry the inside with t-shirt cotton and you're good to go. This is how I did mine.

g0dM@n said:
the white flakey is caused by aluminum... i had that before when i had a maze4gpu cooler... it was aluminum... had a very small scratch on the inside of the block, which broke through the paint and exposed the aluminum.

that could likely be your case as well. i quickly purchased a swiftech mcw60 and haven't had the white flakey stuff again.

There was no aluminum in the loop. Rad and block were both copper..

Nebulous said:
Yo Gman, all i used was Ajax diswashing liquid and plastic scrub pads. I'm sure you've seen dish sponges with a scrub pad on one side, well it's that scrub pad. You can find them in the supermarket/ Dollar stores, just the scrub pad alone.

Get a slim stick, pole or rod to push a piece of the pad thru, then use a piece of t-shirt cotton to push the leftover crap left behind by the scrub pad. I soaked the tubing in hot water with the dish soap to soften up the crap and tubing so it's easier to work with.

After all the scrubbing, rinse out with reg tap water, then dry the inside with t-shirt cotton and you're good to go. This is how I did mine.
Nice system you developed... it's like a gillette razor... the scrubby pad is like the blades, and the t-shirt is like the soft spongy stuff on the razor to rub off the shaving cream. :)

g0dM@n said:
again, this is similar to the water wetter i bought...

just like the link that Krag gave here:
www.hyperluber.com

they all have the same description for what they do... so i guess the water wetter i got may do the trick.

the only thing is, my water wetter is RED... i have swiftech hydrx on the way to me b/c i wanted to add UV dye to my loop... green and red won't mix well i presume? or will that become ORANGE???

now i just need to find RED UV DYE if possible... so that i won't have to mix the hydrx in...

look into the ice liquid then, you use it pure. no water involved, it is designed for it. and it comes with its own UV dye additive. I have the red, Id like to say that its an awesome red, but in all honesty its more pink than red, that will probably be true for any additive.

if you want red, you should probably get UV reactive red piping, and dont worry about what color the water is.

ares350 said:
look into the ice liquid then, you use it pure. no water involved, it is designed for it. and it comes with its own UV dye additive. I have the red, Id like to say that its an awesome red, but in all honesty its more pink than red, that will probably be true for any additive.

if you want red, you should probably get UV reactive red piping, and dont worry about what color the water is.
ice liquid? man there have been so many diff names... purple ice someone said earlier, and that sounds the same as my water wetter... which are you referring to?

yes, primochill.

its like 25$ for a bottle, worried me that it was so expensive, my loop(2 blocks, 120.2 rad,tline) used about 1/3rd of the bottle, Im pretty sure I could keep it topped off forever from whats in the bottle. its only been about 2 months, but no signs of clouding the tubing or growth or anything.

like I said, it is a pale red, but thats just kinda how red is I think. same as blue, or yellow, or anything that isnt green or black.

I'm using straight FluidXP Extreme...the blue one. You can get it in many colors now but it is a bit expensive, bout 35 a bottle which is a quart. Took 5 bottles to fill both my W/C setups. The only reason I use it is because of an article I saw on Toms Hardware where they Strongly Suggested using this stuff. I forget all the technical stuff they said about it but it made complete sense to me. Being that I just upgraded to Core2 Duo myself, I wanted the good stuff to protect and cool it better. Toms sold me on it so now I have it. If you dont mind spending the money that is. CPU idles at 20-21c now, Core 1 & 2 at 28-30c and nothing gets over 48-50c when running Orthos, and thats O/C'd quite a bit. I am very happy with it. ALOT cooler O/C'd now than when I had Dis water and Hydrex and no O/C. Weird eh? But the truth.

Just my 2 cents ... :D

i'll keep all of this stuff in mind (greatly appreciate)... i guess i'll try the water wetter for now, and see if it holds up.

i'll just have to find RED UV Dye to go along with it. :)

kbtat2 said:
I can honestly say that after reading this entire thread I am more confused than ever. :)
lol...

I may have to just do my own thing... again... =/

To god man...

This is the post I made a little while back It explains all the antimicrobial testing I did and has clear easy to understand results for the layman. It covers just about everything to do with antimicrobial agents how to test how they work etc etc.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=506011&highlight=Testing+begins

I know silver has antimicrobial properties for example, All the door handles in my hospital are coated with silver to help prevent nosocomal infections. Its relevance comes into play with water cooling because I use Tygon silver anitmicrobial tubes, the silver in the tube kill bugs.

(Silver tubes are only 25 cents more per foot than regular clear tygon R3603, at this point its cheaper than buying a can of chemicals)

Copper is also an antimicrobial agent, its relevance comes into play with water cooling because many of the water blocks are made of copper.

I had always presumed that "water wetter" was "like antifreze" because people seem to use the term on an interchangable basis. If you tell me the make or the acitve ingredient of your water wetter I can do the antimicrobial testing for you and post the results for everyone to see, who knows you may actually find out something new.

Yes we use double distilled water... No its not that important in our application, probably more imporant when it comes to double distilled vodka :beer:.

I also run a strom water block I also used to get the jets cloged up I also used to use antifreze (In the from of pure ethylene glycol from sigma chemicals). But after switching to silver tubes and double distilled water I have never seen any jets cloged up. I would belive that the antimicrobial agents would help in the preformance in this matter, it may be less releavent to people on water blocks without the jets. I belive that the antifreze that you guys use is in fact food for bacteria to grow on ie your feeding them accelerating their growth and they inturn clog the water jets!

Yes Iodine kills bacteria (very effective) I figure a MIC (minimum inhibitory concentration) at about 12 drops to 1 litre. And the more you add the better it gets ie faster rates of death, effectiveness that can last longer etc. Hoever I dont use iodine because it stains stuff a brown colour (difficult to clean off tubes and hands). Although at the concentrations you use it will only be a slighty brown in colour.

IN CONCLUSION:

I would recomend the silver tubes (for gods sake the cost is only 25 cents more) + distilled water (If you use tap water you are just intorducing bacteria and the bugs into your loop keep in mind they will be well adapt to growing in water so they will flourish in your loop).

And NOTHING else!!!! NOTHING ELSE I TELL YOU. Its SO SIMPLE!!

Last edited:
gonna read up on it.

i GREATLY appreciate your help, bro.

if anyone can, can someone link me to these silver tubes? thx

g0dM@n said:
gonna read up on it.

i GREATLY appreciate your help, bro.

if anyone can, can someone link me to these silver tubes? thx
from here
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...ory_name=29331&product_id=29405&cookie_test=1
or here
http://www.petrastechshop.com/tubing.html

at petra's $3.50 is not what i call cheap, even though it is only 25c more per foot over the clear.

i used VW blue antifreeze about a 90% distilled water maybe less since i wanted a nice blue color in my tubes. i never saw any growth, but the clear tygon was only slighty stained light blue after about 1.5yrs. the watercooling system really only ran for about 8months and then sat in a empty computer case for the rest of the time.

Back