• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bigadv Points Changes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Thought this should have it's own thread as the other thread by ChasR was originally about the possibility of points changes........

Anyway, as posted by kasson:

After much discussion, we are adjusting the points bonus for bigadv. Bigadv work units have been given a 50% base points bonus over standard SMP; the rationale for this was to compensate for the increased system load, increased memory requirements, and increased upload/download bandwidth requirements. As judged from the high demand for bigadv work units, this has been very much a success, perhaps a little too much so. We would like to continue to offer a bonus for bigadv to offset the above factors, but we don't want demand for bigadv to overwhelm the rest of the project or imbalance the points system.

We are therefore dropping the bigadv base points bonus from 50% to 20%, effective for all work units issued this time onwards.

We very much appreciate the donors who have volunteered to run bigadv work units; these projects add substantially to our scientific capabilities. We do important science with all classes of work units, however, and we want the points system to reflect that. Based on extensive feedback, we are considering renormalizing other parts of the system but have not finalized decisions in that regard.

Thanks again for folding!

New points values, old points values, and unadjusted base values are given in the table below. Deadlines and k-factors remain unchanged.

"Standard points" is what the project would receive for base points if standard SMP. "Old bigadv" is the old bigadv base points (50% bonus). "New bigadv" is the new bigadv base points (20% bonus).

Project Standard points Old bigadv New bigadv Preferred Final k-factor
2684 8529 12790 10235 4 6 26.4
2685 5970 8955 7164 4 6 26.4
2686 5970 8955 7164 4 6 26.4
2689 5970 8955 7164 4 6 26.4
2692 5970 8955 7164 4 6 26.4
6900 5970 8955 7164 4 6 26.4
6901 5970 8955 7164 4 6 26.4
6903 18923 28385 22708 7.2 12 38.05
6904 26284 39426 31541 10.2 17 37.31

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19059

As judged from the high demand for bigadv work units, this has been very much a success, perhaps a little too much so. We would like to continue to offer a bonus for bigadv to offset the above factors, but we don't want demand for bigadv to overwhelm the rest of the project or imbalance the points system.
Then why issue such a big bonus when i7 920s just came out. I think they were a bit naive about the power of/and level of acceptance of that cpu and what came later. I'm no expert on the points system but I find that like a bait and switch. Only my opinion.:)

To update HFM with the new point values simply to the following:

Tools Menu > Download Projects from Stanford

Your clients will be automatically refreshed...

Ouch...That was painful!!:p I felt like I just stuck my finger in my eye....lol

Yep.

SR-2

2684 down to about 105K ppd from 150K ppd
6900 down to about 140K ppd from 175K ppd
6903 down to about 214K ppd from 268K ppd

My i7 970 board won't be back until Thursday, so I won't know what the hit there will be until it arrives.

AHH. That explains a lot. I was looking at HFM and noticed a couple of my individual machine PPD had dropped. I had lost power earlier in the day, and thought that it had reset a lot of the OC on my machines. Was NOT looking forward to rebuilding the settings on all of them. Well overall am losing about 20% ppd across the board. OC'ed 2600k's dropped from low 50k to low 40k now.

Not much fun on a personal basis(and Team):(...but overall fah is headed in a better direction.:thup: The evga Team is all smiles this morning....:nuts:
Going to go drown my sorrows in Portal 2...

Every since I built the current iteration of my folding farm, I had anticipated that the "too-good-to-be-true" points awarded for the bigadv WUs would someday shrink to more realistic levels...that day has arrived.

However, such is not the end of the World, just a correction to be more reflective of just compensation.

So the so called "exponential bonus" system remains in place, its just scaled down a bit?

Why didn't they adjust the bonus so it caps out, or isn't so steep? Surely its the bonus factor that is causing most of the inflation for ultra fast machines?

So the so called "exponential bonus" system remains in place, its just scaled down a bit?

Why didn't they adjust the bonus so it caps out, or isn't so steep? Surely its the bonus factor that is causing most of the inflation for ultra fast machines?
We don't want them to change that...I need excuses to upgrade rigs that are only 6 months old....:p

Ouch. my 970 is at around 50k ppd, with a meager bonus that makes me think Im running a quad :(

And I am not getting any 6903s! But I am running windows.. ugh.

I need to build another pc so I can stick this one in a corner somehwere running linux :thup:

If I fired up my gpus that would take up the slack. But this psu is not strong enough to fold em all :(

I just updated the point values in HFM for an i7 2600K running Folding@Home Client Version 6.34 on Windows 7 @ 4500

PPD went from 40800 ------> 32700 on Project: 2684 (Run 9, Clone 7, Gen 85)

That's a hard hit to be sure............but anyone who's been folding for awhile should have seen this coming........

Like ihrsetrdr said:
that day has arrived

foldon.gif

Actually, I'm kind of relieved the hit wasn't worse, even though I knew it was needed.

I agree it was needed.. almost 100k per drop is pretty intense! Now those pesky 2600k's get left in the dust :D Hopefully the newer hardware comeing out will give us the points we are used to seeing.. Get yer checkbooks ready lol :D

Back