• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios flashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HydroCool

is there a way one can do a BIOS flash from a CD-R or CD-RW instead of using a floppy disk? Dont have a floppy drive anymore and wanted to update my BIOS to the current version they have out now. The board is the M7V-400MX or something similar to that...its a piece of crap board so yeah

Well, you may have to do it on another system that has a floppy drive. I made a boot CD with Easy Media Creator7 and I'm sure Nero does it, too. They copy the boot files from a floppy to the CD-R. But I had to play with the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys text files to be able to see the full CD-R. At first I only saw Drive A: (the image of the floppy) but using MSCDEX and OAKCD.SYS (sic) I could map a drive letter to the rest of the CD. Took a few miscues until it worked right and I could access about ten BIOSes and other utilities.

Thanks, but i used a different approach to this. I tried using Dr.Dos but it wouldn't find/read the CD-Rom drive so i booted MaxBlast and exited that program, and it sent me to the DOS prompt screen and just inserted the awdflash and bios CD and did it that way. regular ol` macguyver!

Oooh, you're lucky their DOS didn't scream for Command.com or whatever MaxBlast's Command Intepreter is called. And lucky AWDFlash worked in that environment! But it worked...

Back