• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS vs. Software CPU Temp.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCLJorgenson

This is strange. I have an MSI K7T266 mobo and my cpu temp is running hot according to my software (PC Alert III). What is weird is that my bios temp reading consistently reads about 8 C below the software's. What is more accurate? I know it does not have anything to do with the CPU cooling down from the bootup sequence. I would think that the software would get the temp from the same reading - I guess not?

Also, is it a problem if the Arctic Silver II gets around the sides of the CPU core? It got a little messy trying to reapply it.

Given the choice of the temperature read by the bios, versus a program, I will always go with the bios reading. Some programs allow you to compensate their reading with an offset value, to make them agree with a more reliable reading. I am not familiar with your program though.

Getting a little AS around the core edge should not pose a problem. Do try to keep it off the SMDs and "L" surface jumpers.

Hoot

Back