• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bringing the Pentium-M to the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
amoras said:
Hi all, it is my first time here! :clap:

I have a simple but amazing confusing question.

I want to build a system with:
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
CT-479
PM740 or 750 FSB 533

Ok, I went to Intel and....

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp

SL7SR 1.86 GHz 533 MHz 90 nm C0 2 MB 479 pin
SL7S9 1.86 GHz 533 MHz 90 nm C0 2 MB 478 pin
SL7S8 1.73 GHz 533 MHz 90 nm C0 2 MB 479 pin
SL7SA 1.73 GHz 533 MHz 90 nm C0 2 MB 478 pin

Know what should I choose, some are 478 pin and others 479 pin!!! :bang head

But the ASUS is Socket 479??!! :shrug:
Can the 478 pin processors work with the ASUS converter?

And what about a good fanless cooler?? :santa:

Thanks for your help!
I have never found the answer to this question. Although I've run "479 pin" ones in the past, and my current is supposedly a 478 pin.

The answer is rather simple.

The adapter is 478 pins (go count em). So basically it's the same as 'socket 478', however, to prevent confusion, Intel labelled all the new chips 479 to make clear that they are different. So, all the chips listed there are 479 chips with 478 pins and will fir the adapter.

478 Vs. 479 Conclusion.

Ok, first thanks for your reply.

So the conclusion is:

1. Older Pentium M are 478 pin

2. Newer are 479 pin (But with 478 pin too :argue: )

3. Both versions are compatibe with the CT-479.

4. I can get an old one from ebay, eheheh :cool:

Finally, what is your advise for a fanless cooler with a PM?

THANKS!

anyone with the p4p800-se should get the new bios 1011. I didnt do the 1010 so i cant comment i just noticed it wasnt beta anymore.... so i updated.

I just noticed that my PCI locks no longer work @ 200FSB, only @ 201. So my PAT is going to be off all the time now :( Don't know why it worked before but not since I put my new videocard in.

lowfat said:
I just noticed that my PCI locks no longer work @ 200FSB, only @ 201. So my PAT is going to be off all the time now :( Don't know why it worked before but not since I put my new videocard in.

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. PCI locks at 201 for ATI cards and at 200 for Nvidia cards.

yea pat doesnt work since i upgraded to the new bios but with superpi the time difference was so small... if i can find it i will go back to the 1009beta. Thats with using the ram tweaker to enable pat.

datura3 said:
Unfortunately, I have the same problem. PCI locks at 201 for ATI cards and at 200 for Nvidia cards.

Well that sucks.

Evilsizer said:
yea pat doesnt work since i upgraded to the new bios but with superpi the time difference was so small... if i can find it i will go back to the 1009beta. Thats with using the ram tweaker to enable pat.

Pat makes quite a bit of different is superpi for me, a good 0.4 seconds. Using i875 tweaker doesn't fully enable PAT either. I get better Pi times enabling it in the bios.

datura3 said:
The X800's can handle extremely high FSB's. Mine was good at least well up in the 80's, never tried higher. It's just the X850's and 9xxx's that aren't happy. 8500's are fine if you go back that far. Just need to make sure your hard drives are happy with the high PCI speeds, always helps to have a controller rated for 66MHz. :D

Sorry for breaking in, but I do seriuosly need your help:

I have a p4p800-e deluxe and a M 770. Which bios should I use for this setup?

I also have Asetek water cooling, but will water on this chip give me anything above air performance? Please advice a lost dane with his new toy :)...

malkekoen said:
Sorry for breaking in, but I do seriuosly need your help:

I have a p4p800-e deluxe and a M 770. Which bios should I use for this setup?

I also have Asetek water cooling, but will water on this chip give me anything above air performance? Please advice a lost dane with his new toy :)...
you will have lower temps not sure how much... i do believe some had simial temps with water and air. I mean the cpu max wattage is only 27 watts... even with ocing i would say 34watts at most... do see no p4 or any amds like that execpt maybe turions.

if you havent read here there is lots of info to go thru i do recommend you do that first. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=385836
Now if you havent updated you mobo to support the PM do so now by using the newest one listed on asus's site... Do so only after you have read thru i do believe some have used the P4P-800SE bios on that board.... IM NOT TELLING YOU DO IT. As if not done correctly you will need a new bios chip from asus.

So I will not experince any significant performance gain by adding water to the setup?

Bios: Been through a lot of that thread - but its too mut english for a dane ;)...

I would appreciate a recommendation regarding:
- optimum bios choice
- memory settings

My memory is 2x512 geil ultra pc 4200 3-4-4-8

Please advice....

malkekoen said:
So I will not experince any significant performance gain by adding water to the setup?

Bios: Been through a lot of that thread - but its too mut english for a dane ;)...

I would appreciate a recommendation regarding:
- optimum bios choice
- memory settings

My memory is 2x512 geil ultra pc 4200 3-4-4-8

Please advice....
no you won gain much going to water with PM. PM's like tight mem timings like amd cpus.

cant advise much more since i dont have your mobo and havent been thru the dothan stickies here and at XS.. thats why i recommend you read them... you could always just scim thru using the find feature to see who has done what with that mobo. I would recommed you use the lastest bios for you mobo first.. From what i do remember you will want to set the ct-479 FSB jump to 400fsb. The adapter from newer reading applies more voltage to something on the adapter allowing slighty higher ocs. I got to go do some stuff so ill post the links later when find them....

Chip: 740 1.73 533FSB
Motherboard: P4P800 (not se) bios 1021.006
RAM: 4x512MB Crucial Ballistix 2-2-2-5
Videocard: BFG OC Geforce 6800NU (16x6)
Cooling: Zalman 7000Cu
Current Speed: 13x210 = 2730
Max FSB / CPU clock: 13x218 / 2845 mhz
Current Voltage: 1.575v
S-code / stepping / pack date: SL7SA / C0 / 09-09-05

Screen02.JPG

Last edited:
soulrider4ever,

What did you use to monitor temperature?
I have asus probe installed but somehow cpu temp doesn't seem to change.

My cpu temp would stay around 50-52s regardless if it's idle or full load.

I am running p-m 730 [email protected] bios setting w/ stock hsf

w/ 1021.006, only thing missing seems to be multiper and thermal auto control
(guess speedstep not yet supported by p4p800)
hopefully if asus do release 1021 final, they can have these issues resolved

Last edited:
Back