• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bringing the Pentium-M to the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yep, till it's stable. try some game, like a css - usually a better test of stability than 3dmark, i noticed.

Quick question on running these, as far as fsb:dram ration goes, do these see the best performance when running in sync, memory running faster or memory running slower? And any clue as to high I might be able to get the fsb to go on a 725?

And which mobo has the best bios support? p4p800's (and which specifice model)? or p4c800's (and which specifice model)? I just want to go the easy route, be able to control things like voltages, fsb, fsb:dram ratio's, etc, etc, within the bios without mixing and matching bioses. Don't want the possibiltiy of creating any headaches.

Last edited:
Well I got my new dathon system all up and running. Specs are:

Asus P4P800-VM
Pentium M 715 (1.5Ghz)
2x512 OCZ EL PC-4800
ATI X850pro
Modded Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Silverstone SST-LC11 Case

Its a lot faster then I thought it would be even at stock speeds. Overlocking ability on my mb blows. There are no overclock settings in the bios and ClockGen seems to make it unstable. If I use the jumpers on the Asus adapter then it runs perfect at close to 2Ghz. The biggest gripe so far is that I cannot get speedstep to work(well that and no PCI-e video card). So is there any way to get speedstep to work on my mb?

I wanted to try banias 1,5GHz from my notebook and max is 2000 MHz (10x200MHz or 15x133MHz) 1,45V in cpuz and 3h of sp2004 stock cooling. I'm curious if someone is overclocking banias p-m because all i see is dothan :)
(i forgot to make screenshots and now my brother is using notebook so i have to wait for dothan :p ...750 i think :) )

I purchased a Zalman CPNS 7000B-AlCu LED today, because I am still waiting for a replacement water pump from Swiftech. I didn't even need to modify the HSF or use any of means of mounting it. I just flipped the two 478 hold-down bars so they were upside down, and it makes perfect contact :)

Its a pretty good HSF too, full load @ 2750 was 49°C, vcore @ 1.6V. I can now post @ 2800MHz, however its not too stable.

update

2.24 lowfat
Chip: 750 1.86GHz
Motherboard: P4P800 DLX (P4C800-E Deluxe 1023ed bios)
RAM: 2x512MB OCZ PC3200 Gold VX
Videocard: XFX 6800nu 128mb
Cooling: Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCu LED
Current Speed: 2722MHz
Max FSB / CPU clock: 250FSB / 2750MHz
Current Voltage: 1.6V
S-code / stepping / pack date: SL7S9 / B1 / ??

btw DDR booster is working absolutely fabulous. 250+ @ 2-2-2-6 with OCZ UTT just fine. Athough it needs 3.7V.

Still need to find a good shim so I can use my Zalman CNPS7000 with P-M.
Anyone here has a spare shim laying around or wouldn't mind making me a few?
I am willing to pay you for it since I don't have the tools myself to make a good shim.

justthinking said:
I am willing to pay you for it since I don't have the tools myself to make a good shim.

why not use the one on the stock heatsink fan? that little soft foamy thing.

The foam thing does very well. Remove it from the HS using a knife cutter by gently prying it up. then aatach it to the CPU. I have 2 P-M running like that.

I am actually shim less now...rubbing alcohol accidentally ate away quite a huge chunk of the foam when i was cleaning the base, and i tored it even more when i try to pile it off with a pocket knive...ok...i admit i am not the most handy person when it comes to detail works... :(

justthinking said:
I am actually shim less now...rubbing alcohol accidentally ate away quite a huge chunk of the foam when i was cleaning the base, and i tored it even more when i try to pile it off with a pocket knive...ok...i admit i am not the most handy person when it comes to detail works... :(

You can use the foam that comes with motherboards, on the bottom of the box. It's about 5 mm thick but will compress to about 1.

justthinking said:

I can make them out of aluminum or neoprene, but you may as well just buy the neoprene here:

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=94&cat=31&page=1

They actually make the best shims IMO.

OK, I took your advise and ordered some 1/16" thinkness neoprene.
How should I proceed then? Do I need to use any kind of adhensive or double side tapes?
How tight should I tighten the screw when mounting zalman? How do I know if it's making good contacts and pressure is just right?

Thanks

bleagh said:
Nice find!

Sorry for the delay just thinking. I didn't use anything to stick it on there, but you could use a little adhesive. I tend to switch things around so much that I have given up on sticking things down ;). I would use approximately 120-150lb of torque to put on that zalman. A good way of putting on heatsinks is to use a hand screwdriver to manually tighten it somewhat and then use an power screwdriver with torque adjustment. Start at the lowest torque setting and work your way up till you think it is tight enough. This way you know all the screws are tightened equally and your heatsink is sitting flat.

i suggest You all to look here:
The ULTIMATE ASUS CT-479 Adapter Modifications...
a simple mod with very good results..
for example:
DOTHAN 740 BEFORE Mods
Benchable 2700MHz on air with the default ASUS heatsink
Benchable 3074MHz in a Prommie

DOTHAN 740 AFTER the Mods
Benchable 2830MHz on air with the default ASUS heatsink
Benchable 3224MHz in a Prommie

and an interesting result that could be useful for all ppl with c0 dothans/baniases and celeron M's:
BEFORE Mod this DOTHAN 740 could boot up to 238MHz fsb within bios....
AFTER Mods it now boots 277MHz fsb within bios........

i'll see if i have time tomorrow to mod my adapter.
will let you know asap :)
btw, ordered also spare ct-479, just in case anything goes wrong :)

Back