• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build for brother, do I need to buy a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NOVAA

I'm heading off to college soon, and will be taking my gaming PC with me. This is much to my younger brothers dismay, who while not being an avid PC gamer like myself, still probably logs a couple of hours a week on the computer. He also likes just having the ease of use a fast computer gives him for messing around, browsing, music, etc...

So anyways, I will be building him a computer before I head off to college. I have the main components in my mind, here are most-

Probably an Antec Three Hundred Illusion case
Amd Athlon 620 Quad Core (He'll get my old Enzotech Ultra-X cooler, probably take the 620 up to around 3.0Ghz)
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 Crossfire Ready Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 2x2GB
Samsung Spinpoint 500GB HDD
Whatever DVD Burner is on sale at the time

In addition, he'll get my old ATI 4890 which I will be replacing (Actually later today, when my new Zotac 480 AMP! arrives!!!)

My question being, I'm not a very knowledgeble Power Supply guy. I have two old PSU's in my basement, one being an HEC 585w power supply, which I actually used with my current system before. My only qualms with it was that it had no PCI-E connectors, meaning I had to use all my molex on converters. In addition, I have a raidmax 500w that came with my current case, which has 1 6pin PCI-E connector.

Is it worth it to spend $70-100 on a quality brandname 650-750w power supply for a setup like this, or should I save the money and use one of my older ones.

He probably won't be upgrading very often, as long as the 4890 runs games well, which it does, he should be perfectly happy with what he has. I am getting a crossfire board though, which means if he ever does decide to go with dual gpu's, a new power supply will be necessary in the future.

Thoughts?

Personally I wouldnt use either, especially the Raidmax.

Yes its worth it to upgrade the PSU. A Corsair 550VX will run that tig just fine. Or pop into the classifieds, I have a Corsair 650TX on sale for $70 shipped.

I wouldn't use either of those power supplies and go for either a Corsair or Seasonic. You'd regret not spending the extra cash when that build bursts into flames!

I second the corsair 550 or 650 opinion.

I'm actually using a raidmax right now at work, but compared to my previous corsair and my current silverstone it's obviously cheap.

Both are crap get something decent so he doesn't call you in a week saying the PC won't turn on. That's some quality hardware so don't risk blowing it up

My question being, I'm not a very knowledgeble Power Supply guy. I have two old PSU's in my basement, one being an HEC 585w power supply, which I actually used with my current system before. My only qualms with it was that it had no PCI-E connectors, meaning I had to use all my molex on converters. In addition, I have a raidmax 500w that came with my current case, which has 1 6pin PCI-E connector.

Do you hate your brother?

Do you hate your brother?

Sometimes lol, I was leaning towards buying a quality one anyway, but just wanted some additional input. The Hec 585 is the only one I would have considered in all honesty, because I did run basically that system on the same PSU for several months.

Sometimes lol, I was leaning towards buying a quality one anyway, but just wanted some additional input. The Hec 585 is the only one I would have considered in all honesty, because I did run basically that system on the same PSU for several months.

You're getting good advice above. This list in the "stickies" should be your guide:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Something is always on a good sale, look around and pick from it. You're giving your brother a very nice video card and rig, get a decent power supply to compliment it for longevity (~500-550 watts is more than enough for a single vid card like that).

Back