• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build me a gaming PC that will last... im so outdated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Agreed. For a budget gamer, 8GB should absolutely be fine, especially when running less demanding titles on less than "Full HD".

I was hitting 7.9gb with

-logitech game software
-gta 5
-TeamSpeak 3
-hwmonitor and gpu z
-chrome + youtube

I was pegging 7.9gb pretty hard. Touched 8.1 at moments.

Removing chrome brought it between 5.9-6.4gb; plenty of room for just gaming.

GTX 750 is like an updated GT 640. (Uses about the same power consumption, if not less than the GT 640)

GTX 750 is like an updated GT 640. (Uses about the same power consumption, if not less than the GT 640)

Besides having 1/4th the memory bandwidth, slower clock speeds, less than half the pixel rate, 1gb ddr3 ram instead of 2gb of ddr5, higher power consumption, analog output and a completely different lithography; yeah its almost identical!

Well When I game, I tend to have you tube and IE open and other things, you know when a game is loading or I die and im respawning in an MMO or what not I alt tab and open things and continue to watch videos... If youre telling me that your computer uses 6-7 GB of memory doing all these things... Then I think I'll wait another week or so to make a little bit more money and spend the extra 67$ to get 16gb (2x8gb) of ram instead of(2x4gb) 8GB.

This is one of the major limiting factors in the current PC I own.. Like for example. Divinity original Sin. and Other games (remember I play mostly F2P mmo's like world of tanks not super graphicly intense games) I have played... They all run fine on this computer.. Medium/high maybe not ultra high details but they run ok but the main issue I have been having on this computer the last 2 or so years is a lack of memory.. Its very frustrating to have your game run fine but alt tab to windows and have to wait like 20 seconds for internet explorer to pop up because your memory is maxed out.. Back then 8GB of ram was starting to become to thing to get but I opted for 4GB and I regret that.. I don't want to get 8GB and have the same regrets .

Anyway I Appritiate all your guys help.. Is the setup I linked good enough ? The MSI board, the PSU and so forth ? I still haven't decided on a SSD but since ima wait to save up a little more for more memory I have some time to decide on that..

And I know I asked for a cheap well $800 priced PC (currently with what I and you guys helped me pick and including a SSD itll be around $850). What do you guys think of saving up $100 more for a I7 4790K because of the Hyper Threading ?

Last edited:
An i7 is totally unnecessary at this point. An i5 is more than adequate for gaming.

For now its fine. In 3-4 years when DX12 has firmly taken root, probably not so much. He wants the build to last a long time, not just be good for "right now". An i7 is certainly a viable option, albeit it not in his budget so much. I would put money that the i7 will be vastly superior to the i5 3 years from now, not just a "little bit' that it is right now.

What do you guys think of saving up $100 more for a I7 4790K because of the Hyper Threading ?
If you plan on keeping the PC as long as you say you are, save up and get it.

Last question I sware guys lol..

Im about to make my order... And I picked the MSI/4790/Hyper x ram combo because it would save me $40.. However the HyperX ram is only Cas10 memory...

Im not sure how much Latency affects performance these days. Does it matter ? This is the memory with the combo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104444

The combo only comes with 1x8gb stick so I do have to spend $67 on another one... Or should I get different memory ? I was looking at this Gskill memory instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-568

Basically if I get the G.skill memory the price total will be $930 vs 914$ I know its only $15.. but still which memory is better ?

Last edited:
what was that ?

This is my order so far, Im just going to go for the G.skill ram since its a pair and better latency

ukhjkhjkjhkjhk.jpg

Sooo instead of a average medium $800 build.. I ended getting a high end PC and spent over $1,000 I just placed my order.. Now im officially broke...

I got

Intel 4790 Devil Canyon

G.skill 16GB Ripjaws X series memory

MSI z97 Gaming mobo

Sapphire R9 290 Graphics card

EVGA 650w GS psu..

And the SSD I picked was this one, I decided to go off reviews.. 5 stars for the 120 and 240gb one, I want one with a low failure rate and its got good read/write speeds ... In the End I asked for $800, and I spent $1,050... This hobby is going to be the end of me.. I just hope this computer lasts a very long time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0D9-0021-00006

The computer should last a good while. I don't know if you mentioned it before, but if you live near a microcenter their prices on processors are much better than anywhere else online (and a motherboard with it cuts $40 off on top)

I live in Nothern Virginia, there is one in Fairfax which is about 43 minutes away according to google.. The 4790 Intel cpu is $250 vs neweggs $329.. wow why is it so much cheaper ? That's like $70 less. However taxes on the website is $15 and I drive a V8 5.9 liter JeeP and a hour ina half drive both ways is a lot of gas money.. and hassle to save myself $40-50.

I appitiate you mentioning this... I will try to remember it next time

There are motherboard and cpu combos too that could ha e made it worth it...

Regardless, that is a nice build. Enjoy!

Yea It will feel good to have a new higher end computer... Im curious to see what the difference will feel like over the current computer I have will be.. I imagine the SSD alone will be light years faster I hope anyway.. And I hope the computer will be able to run all my games maxed out.. lol..

I managed to get planetside 2 to run on my pc I literally turned every single detail to low.. and put the render distance down low and now I can play at 20-30fps lols..

There are motherboard and cpu combos too that could ha e made it worth it...

Regardless, that is a nice build. Enjoy!

Yea but most of those boards in the bundles I don't trust,, I don't like asrock, and the gigabyte looks good on paper but has major bios issues from a lot of reviews I read and the other bundles for the 4790 the prices are $390-400.. plus 6% sales tax makes them 424$ plus probably 15$ in gas to drive there..

Or buy the MSI board I want, and the 4790 on newegg and the price comes to $453. I save only like $20-30 going to microcenter.. The prices are great but the taxes replaces that

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you need to get over some of that stuff man... seriously. You seem to read one thing about a board/card and poo poo it. Half the stuff you see can be user error. There is a reason you came here to ask for advice. Most of us here know what we are talking about. While you are not forced to follow it of course, it would be wise to heed our advice about things you are concerned about. :)

The bundles are the 4790K at $280 plus $40 off a board. That sounds like you save ~$90 (minus tax so $70, minus gas so $55) if you went there vs newegg. But..... that is water under the bridge now. :)

Back