• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build OC Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cpu cooler?

i updated sig hope every thing shows up ok

is its best to set the corsair hydro h100 to mode 1 slow mode 2 med or mode 3 max?
also i have my cpu set to 4.2GHZ running prime 95 it show 4.2 ghz on all 6 cores what kinda voltage would be good to keep stable right now its at 1.3125V? cup temp maxes at 31c after bout 1:30 mins on mode 1/slow on the hydro h100 also i have room temp of 85F

Last edited:
You run whatever voltage to cpu that allows P95 Blend mode to run for 2 hours without any type of failure or error.

Cooling fans whatever speed it takes to keep HWMonitor temp at cpu/socket 72c or below and HWMonitor core/"package" temp at 62c or below.

Those settings are per each system as all are different.
RGone...

Adding two pull fans to the H100 radiator might drop temps a couple of degrees. Nothing dramatic. I was just reading an article recently where the effect of adding pull fans was being tested on that product. It's just a 25mm tick radiator so not a thick one. Adding pull fans may have a more significant effect on case ventilation than on core temps as those radiators replace what were free flowing case fans. With just a push fan setup there isn't much air movement through the radiator from a purely CFM standpoint. Just put your hand near the backside of it and you will see what I mean.

this is what im at so far good ? or bad>?

Have you this >> keep HWMonitor temp at cpu/socket 72c or below and HWMonitor core/"package" temp at 62c or below.

Cpu voltage less than 1.475V ?

P95 Blend mode runs 2 hours without any form of error or oddity?

Then good.
RGone...

voltage

Have you this >> keep HWMonitor temp at cpu/socket 72c or below and HWMonitor core/"package" temp at 62c or below.

Cpu voltage less than 1.475V ?

P95 Blend mode runs 2 hours without any form of error or oddity?

Then good.
RGone...

i dont know much bout voltage so i just dident try turn it up alot what should it be at?
if i can get what the voltage will be i can turn that up a and run p95 59min longer

If voltage is nOt more than 1.475V to cpu and the temps are less than 72c Cpu and less than 62c package, then try higher clock until you have to exceed those Voltage or temps to reach the higher clock.

There is n0 specific amount of voltage to cpu but what is needed until what is needed is greater than about 1.475Votls to cpu on that mobo.

No two systems are the same. It is n0t do A and B to get C. It is keep A (temps) and B (volts) in range for C (cpu speed) that passes two hours of Prime 95 Blend mode for at least 2 hours without problems.
RGone...

If voltage is nOt more than 1.475V to cpu and the temps are less than 72c Cpu and less than 62c package, then try higher clock until you have to exceed those Voltage or temps to reach the higher clock.

There is n0 specific amount of voltage to cpu but what is needed until what is needed is greater than about 1.475Votls to cpu on that mobo.

No two systems are the same. It is n0t do A and B to get C. It is keep A (temps) and B (volts) in range for C (cpu speed) that passes two hours of Prime 95 Blend mode for at least 2 hours without problems.
RGone...

right rly i was meaning did every thing look good for where im at. i was mostly worried that i dident set voltage right. with it mostly meaning the volts only turned up a bit to me seems stable and all things you said was good ecept the p95 for 2 hours i ran it for 1:10.
i will try and tweak the voltage some and up the cpu more and run p95 and see what happedns and post ss i just wanted to start out slow and work my way up cuz im still newb on this my goal like i said i like to try and get to 4.5-4.6 ghz safely so i just posting what i have so if hopefuly if somthing wrong someone can say hey look that is bad just so i know

Can hardly read full screen captures...Like below more readable.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APC, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

CPUIDCpu_zps3ec61d22.jpg

HWM_zpse0385ad9.jpg

CPUIDMemory_zpscb20173b.jpg

p9544finish_zps0a0ee41d.jpg

dident know to have spd up so no ss of that but what do you think from what you told me every thing looks like in the range of ok right this test was over 2 hours im my bios i cant seem to find preformce mode any idea where its at? all the turbo stuff is disabled in my bios oc geni off and oc geni lite off/ so far as i know the cores show 4399.95 at all times?

Last edited:
rgone said:
and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode.

That is where 'performance mode' is located.

One problem with the much lesser 'known about' mother boards is what TMPIN0 at max 48c is referring to.

Then what is TMPIN1 referring to and it being maxed at 63c.

IF TMPIN0 is cpu socket temp then you are in a big window of goodness.

However if TMPIN1 is the cpu socket temp then you only have roughly about 9c more rise in that temp for headroom.

Man that last post of your captures is just flat g00d and readable. Thank you.

Now here is where I am; about your just about on the nose at 4.4Ghz, and that is I just am not very trusting of that board power circuit to supply power 'long-term' to that cpu at any faster speed. The issue will be that you will likely get no warning that something is going to happen. The problem if it is in the VRM will just happen and maybe dramatic with a mosfet popping thru its' silca shell. Whether or not that pop also takes other parts such as the cpu with it in death is not for certain, be it yes or no.

The truth is we all have to shoulder the burden of any overclock. By its' very definition an overclock is to run a component 'out of spec' and the truth is there is no warranty for such behavior. Many do get warrranty but the truth is all parts say no warranty when run out of spec.

I do not feel comfortable assisting with pushing that motheboard configuration any further. I have hopefully made it very evident what temps to remain equal to OR below. I have also suggested a max voltage to the cpu of 1.475V and on a board I KNOW can handle a higher loading, that voltage would be a little bit higher. However, I just cannot from such a distance and with you not knowing me well nor I you, I just hesitate to push further.

You have the idea at hand and are now at 4.4Ghz and how much further you can go will be up to you only. It is entirely possible that the best idea is to use the system for a week or two and see how it all seems to handle. I have seen a few rigs that will pass a couple of hours of P95 Blend and yet give some problem under the use the computer did daily. NoT often but a few times have seen such. I would suggest a good and vigorous use of your system for a couple of weeks and see how the system as a complete unit works out.

Luck to you sir.
RGone...

thank you

That is where 'performance mode' is located.

One problem with the much lesser 'known about' mother boards is what TMPIN0 at max 48c is referring to.

Then what is TMPIN1 referring to and it being maxed at 63c.

IF TMPIN0 is cpu socket temp then you are in a big window of goodness.

However if TMPIN1 is the cpu socket temp then you only have roughly about 9c more rise in that temp for headroom.

Man that last post of your captures is just flat g00d and readable. Thank you.

Now here is where I am; about your just about on the nose at 4.4Ghz, and that is I just am not very trusting of that board power circuit to supply power 'long-term' to that cpu at any faster speed. The issue will be that you will likely get no warning that something is going to happen. The problem if it is in the VRM will just happen and maybe dramatic with a mosfet popping thru its' silca shell. Whether or not that pop also takes other parts such as the cpu with it in death is not for certain, be it yes or no.

The truth is we all have to shoulder the burden of any overclock. By its' very definition an overclock is to run a component 'out of spec' and the truth is there is no warranty for such behavior. Many do get warrranty but the truth is all parts say no warranty when run out of spec.

I do not feel comfortable assisting with pushing that motheboard configuration any further. I have hopefully made it very evident what temps to remain equal to OR below. I have also suggested a max voltage to the cpu of 1.475V and on a board I KNOW can handle a higher loading, that voltage would be a little bit higher. However, I just cannot from such a distance and with you not knowing me well nor I you, I just hesitate to push further.

You have the idea at hand and are now at 4.4Ghz and how much further you can go will be up to you only. It is entirely possible that the best idea is to use the system for a week or two and see how it all seems to handle. I have seen a few rigs that will pass a couple of hours of P95 Blend and yet give some problem under the use the computer did daily. NoT often but a few times have seen such. I would suggest a good and vigorous use of your system for a couple of weeks and see how the system as a complete unit works out.

Luck to you sir.
RGone...

im at where i wanted to be thank you verry much i have tweaked the power and left cpu at 4.4ghz the temp is coming from the vrm thing you tell me about i had moved the fan to better cover the heatsink and temp is now in the 55 rang after 2 hours of p95

and i was looking for test at 4.5-4.6 got 4.4 im happy thank you so much for the help ill let you know if the MB hold up after a while hopfuly every thing you helped me do come out well i been useing it for the real frist time today and yesterday and its way smoother than it was i can run around 6 of my games at one time np rly witch is all i wanted to do

the MSI

Test her out and have a little fun computering and good luck and fortune to you man.
RGone...

I Was Worried Bout The MB its self most of my parts are decent.
i read alot about the Vrm fail but after you advised a fan on the heatsink
i messed around with the 140mm 110 cfm fan make a big differnce with it right on top of the heatsink i got it running from 62-63c to now 45c i think thats about avg right? but on a side note what is a good bord IYO for about 120-150$ i will buy a spare as a back up incase the worst hopfuly i wont need it last night i started intel burn test rather than p95 to just let it put 100% load on the cpu and set the ram to 15.5 gb left it running all night while i was asleep here 14 hours later its still running with little heat on cpu socket and Vrm 45c on cpu and 48-50c on Vrm im verry happy how it came out and im glad it holding up good at this point you are the best bro thax a million times hopfuly the fx6300 and the Msi will hold better than the fx 8300-8350 it still sitting on back of my mind that it could possably blow up but what ive read its on on the 125 wat cpu's hope its only them cpu with 8 cores but so far good ill let you know each month of any change or any thing that is bad cuz id hate for somone else try this with this bord and it blow up after reading this post ne wayz bud take care and have a great day and agane thx for all the help

Last edited:
@ imevil2011 >> I have found it much easier to pass runs or loops of IBT test than to pass P95 Blend. A few have found the reverse to be so for them. So speaking for myself, I usually use both IBT and P95 Blend when I am where I intend to run for 24/7 so that I can feel fairly confident that I will be stable for daily 24/7 use.

If you look, I underlined myself above since we deal with so many people and skill levels and combinations of equipment that we just sort of "boil" it down to the *most likely* to succeed sort of level. No way to write down and cover every situation. Plus too many users really have a short attention span and do not read the complete post. I have done this myself before and gotten confused by "which" user I was making a response to. To do this "helping" very well it takes a good bit of time. Time that is free and most often freely given. So we try and keep the what to do's down to the minimum where possible.

Just now I was looking for information about another brand of motherboard and I came across this user and his MSI 970A-G46 motherboard. I read part of that older thead again and then wrote the following to put here in your thread. I see the difference is he was using a CM 212 EVO air cooler on top of his cpu for cooling.

Few of us remain here in the forum section and help others. So that means most get to a certain point and we never see them again. So you can have this other thread for your own information on out there where ever it is you go.

Here is an FYI thread from here in the AMD Cpu forum section by user "chaosjello". It is a pretty good chronicle of his time with the MSI 970A-G46 motherboard. If you follow on in that thread you will see where his signature becomes MOBO > Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and no longer G46 mobo.

Post #14 by "mandrake4565" is of interest and why I have no desire to suggest greater speed for the cpu.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740919&highlight=asrock+990fx+extreme9
fx6300 overclock

Original specs of "chaosjello's" setup. It will change later on in the thread.
MOBO > MSI 970A-G46
CPU & Cooler > FX 6300/Coolermaster 212 EVO
MEMORY > Ripjaws X Series 8GB F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
POWER SUPPLY > OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
VIDEO CARD > XFX FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850
HDD > Samsung 840 120GB (OS)/WD Blue 1TB (storage)
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard (Realtek ALC892)
O/S > W7 Ultimate SP1 (SSD)/Ubuntu 12.04 (WD Blue)
CASE > Fractal Design Core 3000
FANS > exhaust: 3 stock Fractal Design (2x140, 1x120)/intake: 3 Coolermaster (1x140, 2x120)

Continued success is pro-offered to you man and some happy computering.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
so Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

@ imevil2011 >> I have found it much easier to pass runs or loops of IBT test than to pass P95 Blend. A few have found the reverse to be so for them. So speaking for myself, I usually use both IBT and P95 Blend when I am where I intend to run for 24/7 so that I can feel fairly confident that I will be stable for daily 24/7 use.

If you look, I underlined myself above since we deal with so many people and skill levels and combinations of equipment that we just sort of "boil" it down to the *most likely* to succeed sort of level. No way to right down and cover every situation. Plus too many users really have a short attention span and do not read the complete post. I have done this myself before and gotten confused by "which" user I was making a response to. To do this "helping" very well it takes a good bit of time. Time that is free and most often freely given. So we try and keep the what to do's down to the minimum where possible.

Just now I was looking for information about another brand of motherboard and I came across this user and his MSI 970A-G46 motherboard. I read part of that older thead again and then wrote the following to put here in your thread. I see the difference is he was using a CM 212 EVO air cooler on top of his cpu for cooling.

Few of us remain here in the forum section and help others. So that means most get to a certain point and we never see them again. So you can have this other thread for your own information on out there where ever it is you go.

Here is an FYI thread from here in the AMD Cpu forum section by user "chaosjello". It is a pretty good chronicle of his time with the MSI 970A-G46 motherboard. If you follow on in that thread you will see where his signature becomes MOBO > Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and no longer G46 mobo.

Post #14 by "mandrake4565" is of interest and why I have no desire to suggest greater speed for the cpu.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740919&highlight=asrock+990fx+extreme9
fx6300 overclock

Original specs of "chaosjello's" setup. It will change later on in the thread.
MOBO > MSI 970A-G46
CPU & Cooler > FX 6300/Coolermaster 212 EVO
MEMORY > Ripjaws X Series 8GB F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
POWER SUPPLY > OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
VIDEO CARD > XFX FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850
HDD > Samsung 840 120GB (OS)/WD Blue 1TB (storage)
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard (Realtek ALC892)
O/S > W7 Ultimate SP1 (SSD)/Ubuntu 12.04 (WD Blue)
CASE > Fractal Design Core 3000
FANS > exhaust: 3 stock Fractal Design (2x140, 1x120)/intake: 3 Coolermaster (1x140, 2x120)

Continued success is pro-offered to you man and some happy computering.
RGone...ster.

the temp are almost same beside spike ? hopfuly now my temp is down to 43-50c hopfuly she will hold like this at 4399.97 and keep under 55c ill also be buying Asus Sabertooth as a spare just incase but no more then i intend on doing with this pc hopfuly at where it is now will run good for long time and if it blow ill install new asus one mabe if i just leave it where where it is it will be ok im happy that i was able to get it to 4.4ghz as it is almost 1 ghz differnce at this time ima call this setup 40% success ill order the sabertooth mabe i might come and get some helps with resetting up every thing

I would not order a Ssbertooth just as a spare. If I were going to order a Sabertooth, it would immediately become my "main" board and the G46 would become spare. That way I could likely bump up the speed a little more if needed and also not worry about G46 failure that might take more than just the mobo with it. Of course this is what I "myself", would do. I see absolutely no reason to have a good Sabertooth on the sidelines when we are very well acquainted with how good that mobo is 99% of the time. But that is me.
RGone...ster.

I would not order a Ssbertooth just as a spare. If I were going to order a Sabertooth, it would immediately become my "main" board and the G46 would become spare. That way I could likely bump up the speed a little more if needed and also not worry about G46 failure that might take more than just the mobo with it. Of course this is what I "myself", would do. I see absolutely no reason to have a good Sabertooth on the sidelines when we are very well acquainted with how good that mobo is 99% of the time. But that is me.
RGone...ster.

i dont plan to leave it laying around as a spare but i rly wanted to try this setup out befor i change it so fast because if it dose good maybe be good for my wife's AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.1GHz AM3+ cause her MB had Shorted Out at Sata plug 1 it was in mine first its the elite group ecs motherboard a780lm-m2

wife's AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.1GHz AM3+ cause her MB had Shorted Out at Sata plug 1 = G46 should have absolutely no issues working that lesser cpu to its' max.
RGone...

I thought my ears were burning... :p

In all seriousness, drop that MSI board as fast as you can. When overclocking an FX chip with it, it's dangerous in the best case, hardware-killing in the worst. RGone may remember in my thread mentioning my friend attempting to OC his 8320 on that same board. He no longer has that board (the VRM section hit 80+ and shut down forever). Loaned him my old one until he can buy another one. As a side note to that, his processor isn't quite working properly since that event, leading us to believe it was damaged when the board took itself out.

To OP, I know it really sucks having bought something to find out it's junk for what you need it for, and the replacement costing over twice as much. But if you value the long-term stability of your system, I'd strongly recommend buying a proper 990FX board. Best of luck, fellow enthusiast.

Back