• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build to max out Battlefield 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kratzaus

Registered
Hi,

I am going to buy components and build my first pc. I live in China so i'll be ordering everything from newegg here. I would just like to know if the following components would go well togther. Basically it will be a gaming computer and my only real intention is to be able to play battlefield 3 at absolute max graphics (and starcraft 2).

Please, if you see any component that is overkill for my needs please suggest something else. It is purely a pc for gaming. As i understand the gfx card is the most important component, and i'd be happy to cut back on other components if they aren't really necessary and spend more on the gfx card. A gfx card that is good at 3D is also quite important as my gf will enjoy 3D movies on it. Prices in chinese currency, 1.00 RMB = 0.157456 USD. Thanks for advice! This is what i have come up with:

Graphics card: ASUS ENGTX560 DC/2DI/1GD5 1G
Graphics card
1639rmb

Cpu: Intel i5-2500k - 2.9GHz
Cpu
1259rmb

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3R-B3
Mobo
1399rmb

Mem: AVEXIR DDR3-1600 4GB x 2
Mem
165x2 rmb

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Cooler
599rmb

or Corsair H60

Power: CoolerMaster GX750W
Power
719rmb

HD: WD 500G WD5000AAKX
HD
699rmb

Case: CoolerMaster RC-430-KWN1
Case
269rmb

Totally 1100 USD. (Basically this is my budget too). While most things are cheaper in china, computer hardware isn't one of them.

If 750w is too much power please let me know, or if a cheaper mobo is suitable please let me know. I'm a noob so i'm not sure if this is a good case either, but i'd like one with decent airflow and which can fit the above components... as i understand the case i selected above is a full case so quite big. Also i will be overclocking the cpu just for the sake of it i guess, and might in future get another gfx card for crossfire so need a mobo that can accomplish these tasks.

Last edited:
this will not max out Bf3 try getting a 2500k and O.C it to 4.6 ghz and get 2 6970 or a 6990 also try to get a better psu from corsair or silverstone a company like that. I like the corsair h80 or the h100 and wait on getting the hard drive prices have gone up 500% so wait then get the hard drive and get an ssd like the crucial M4 and get a better case that has a back plate cut out it will help you out alot and get 8 gb ddr3 memory (2X 4gb dimms) to get advantage of dual memory

Last edited:
560 won't max it out. My 580 doesn't max it out overclocked. Not quite. Not playably.

There are parts of this game that are graphically intense to the point of physically making you go WOW!. They bring my 580 to it's knees momentarily from time to time if I max it. You won't get max unless you get an ultra-enthusiast GPU setup.
If you want to MAX it, get a 2500 or 2600K, and a 6990 as was mentioned, or 2 6970s. Or 2 580s... Which likely will not outperform the 6970s even though they cost more. I like the drivers better though.

Also go to a nice PSU maybe like AX1200 from Corsair...

BTW due to the flood affecting hard drive prices I recommend you buy an SSD for now. Get a hard drive again once they reach 50 bucks per terrabyte again like they were. Currently the price is 500% of what it ought to be on HDD in certain cases.

2500K>Quality Z68 board>6990> Rockin on max.

BTW you do not need a D14 on the 2500. The coolermaster 212+ will do. Due to the 2MB less cache on the 2500 it gets significantly less hot than the 2600. Even at 1.35V and 4.5Ghz it barely reaches 50 in many cases if in a 70F room on the 212+. Get that. And a case with great air flow. JM2C.

Have fun

Those 2 gfx card kind of take me over my budget. Are there any two cards i can crossfire or sli to max out bf3 but for slightly cheaper? I agree on oc the cpu that's why i'll invest in a good cooler like H80 or high end air. I have a western digital external HDD i bought like 2 months ago, it has a 2TB caviar green inside cost like 60 euros. I can just put that in i guess. Games as i know don't care about your HDD as it's all loaded into ram i think.

Ok, i didn't realise it was such an intense game... would getting an amd setup be better then and spending the spare $$ on the gfx card? I know an amd setup would be quite a bit cheaper overall. Two gtx 460 in sli are 2000rmb, cards suggested here are 3000rmb plus.

This is the 3D ready monitor i am eyeing. http://www.newegg.com.cn/Product/24-c11-198.htm

Last edited:
560 won't max it out. My 580 doesn't max it out overclocked. Not quite. Not playably.
It doesnt? Im full tilt (Ultra, 4xAA/16xAF, HBAO) , 1920x1080 and averaging 40-50FPS with dips in the 30's...Its perfectly playable for me...reference clocks.

Last edited:
Perhaps i don't have the budget to max it out on ultra settings ha. Well i've decided on either one HD6950 or two HD6850 in crossfire. Will get the ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 instead as it is 400 cheaper. Re-use my existing 2TB HDD.

Basically is one HD6950 better or two HD6850 in crossfire? Both solutions are same price pretty much. I'd still be happy with an amd cpu and board if it wouldn't bottleneck once overclocked or whatever.

It doesnt? Im full tilt (Ultra, 4xAA/16xAF, HBAO) , 1920x1080 and averaging 40-50FPS with dips in the 30's...Its perfectly playable for me...reference clocks.

Agreed, average 60 dips in the 40's with 4xAA

If people can really play it with one GTX560 ti then i'll just get that and perhaps in future get another for sli. Perhaps the poster who said GTX560 wasn't good enough was not considering the ti version.

I was referencing the 580 not being able to max it out... it can. The 560ti may need to drop back to HIGH, which really isnt a big deal. 560ti or 6950 would be a good card for your budget.

I also don't agree with the 580 not maxing out. I'm not sure about stock ones, but I'm running my 580 Lightning @ 975//2450 (stock 580 is 772//2000, stock lightning is 832//2100) and I run the game on all Ultra, 2xAA @ 1920x1200 and rarely drop under 55fps. I have VSync on so I'm not sure what my max is, but it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't go with an AMD setup at the moment, and that's coming from someone who has never had Intel.
2500K would be the sweet spot for me if I were building a gaming rig.

Also, I'd get a 6970 (since [I don't think] you can unlock the current 6950s to 6970s) now and x-fire that later on.

As said, you don't need a DH-14 or Corsair H-anything. All you need is a Cooler Master Hyper 212+, and that right there would save you quite a bit of money.

Did you play full campaign, fly a jet, etc? It DOES slow down here and there. IMO if you Xfired 6950s youd get pretty damn close to perfect......

I touched the SP for about 10 minutes. And in the scene I actually benched (the begining that subway scene), I hit around 73FPS average. Now, thats indoors and not indicative of outside FPS remotely however.

Im all MP though and thats where Im getting those #'s. that includes a jet (which my FPS go up with in there generally).

Back