• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building your First evaporative cooling tower!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll work with pro*banshee and see if he still has the bong images on his computer. If not, I will try and whip up some replacement pictures tonight. I might just borrow his old bong and take pictures.

Scarab, that looks good. You wil want to make sure that you have a fan on top as the further the air has to travel, the harder it is to move, ie passive might not be enough but one of those nexus 37cfm fans would be more than enough. You will have to make the seal as good as possible.

What you might want to do instead is forget the outer shell catch idea and instead drill a lot of holes above the water line but below the bucket mark. Then the air will be funneled through the bong like a passive chimney. The higher the bong and less unrestrected the air inlet, the faster the air will move. It should be enough to go passive. You won't have to deal with the wyee also. If and if you drill all the way down below the water line to the bottem of the tub, you will be able to allow the water to flow from inside the fall chamber and soak into the bucket. You could also drill a larger hole in the fall chamber under the water and run the pump out of the bucket that way.

There's some probability that pretty big part of spreaded water will meet sides and will flow along it. My idea is to use some kind of grid/net, rolled to form kind of tube. So you put a few such tubes, one inside another with some space between them and push air from bottom to top. You'd have to somehow distribute water among them. It should limit noise too.
It's only an idea, not tested.

There's always the chance that will happen, venom, but with a good showerhead, you won't have to worry.

Venom, I don't understand. Are you talking about mesh rings that encompass each other to create more area and then just stood straight up inside the bong?

pwnt by pat said:
There's always the chance that will happen, venom, but with a good showerhead, you won't have to worry.

Venom, I don't understand. Are you talking about mesh rings that encompass each other to create more area and then just stood straight up inside the bong?

Something like that, but not really mesh... Rather something like plastic grill with holeses dense enough to make water stay on it.

pwnt by pat said:
What you might want to do instead is forget the outer shell catch idea and instead drill a lot of holes above the water line but below the bucket mark. Then the air will be funneled through the bong like a passive chimney.

Like this?
I'm wondering how to set it up so I have some kind of lid over the reservoir, yet allow air to enter, and still look good enough to have out in the living room (I've got a 3 year old, and eventually a cat).

Exactly. That way you could just get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, drill out a 4" hole and breather holes and stick the bong in it. Wrap pantyhose over the air holes on the bong and BAM, filtered bong... heh

as for the cooling side of these things dropping the water temp below ambient, would I need to worry about condensation inside the case? I don't use any peltiers or anything, and I've never seen it mentioned about needing to insulate the cpu when using a bong cooler.

depending on the humidity and efficency of the bong, you very well may need insulation. I talked to pro* about the pics and he's not too concerned about getting them back up, sorry.

well I can imagine the humidity would be going up because of the bong, and as for the efficiency, I don't know yet as I'm still assembling the wc setup, but the main pipe of the bong is 5 ft high

Back