• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burned DVDs don't work in my DVD-ROM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I'm planning on cleaning off my hard drive soon, and so need to do some backing up. I don't have a DVD burner in my computer, but my friend does. I've tried some initial backups (just a few large files, which were accessed over my LAN) but I can't read any of them on my DVD-ROM drive. They all read perfectly fine on his DVD+-R burner.

We've tried everything that I could think of short of buying new media to test with. DVD's with the session/disk left open, with the session/disk closed, using UDF packet writing, making the UDF disk "compatable" (which the software manual says makes the disk readable even on drives without their UDF software), etc.

I know my drive can read burned DVDs since my friend burned me one in the past, and it worked/works fine. I don't know why these new disks don't work... Any ideas?

His DVD Burner: LiteOn LDW-411S
My DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD-165H (flashed to latest firmware, which changed the model to XJ-HD165H)
Media: Memorex 4x DVD-R (would using +R for my data backups work better?)

JigPu

I have the 411s in one of my machines and I do not use memorex blanks because when I burned them in it they would not read in my stand-alone DVD player. I tried them a few times, once in the 30 pack and in the individual packs. I use a different burner now but I stick with maxell.

You could try burning at a lower speed like 1x.

Can't find any setting to change booktypes in the software (Sonic MyDVD)... Though I'll scan the net to see if anybody else knows :D

I'll try a slower burn, as well as different media in a few days if that dosen't work. Hopefully the slower burn will work though.

JigPu

did u close the session? i burnt some data using nero without closing the session cuzz it was too large for the DVDR, it didn't read on my DVDrom. I think that's the problem. Now it reads fine if i close the session.

cack01 said:
I think its probably poor media. You may want to return to the stock firmware and see if anything changes. I read up on this thread concerning your firmware version: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=94400&highlight=LTD-165H No one mentioned any problems, so that leads me to think its your media..
Actually, I upgraded to the latest firmware after my first few tries, and neither worked. I'm leaning to the media as well, so hopefully I can head off to the store soon to see if that helps :)

In the meantime, I'll try KProbe and see if bitsetting helps.
JigPu

Managed to try again, but still no luck. I tried bitsetting, but KProbe says that it can't set the type on DVD-R media, only DVD+R. I also tried a slower burn speed (2x, the minimum the software would let me) but it still didn't work. :(

I'm going to get some different media, so what brands would you guys reccomend? Something I could just pick up at Wal-Mart or something prefereably since I'd like to know if it works fairly quickly :D Also, I'm going to try +R instead of the -Rs I've been burning, since I found the disk I know works is a +R.

Thanks,
JigPu

JigPu,
I absolutely agree about the media. That is THE most important thing in getting consistent dependable burns. Fuji usually carries the best reputation of all media. Sony is real good and more widely available. Maxell is fair and readily available most anywhere. TDK is fair to poor. DO stay away from Memorex. Avoid ANY type of CD/DVDs that you find has a loose powder coating on them. Avoid disks made in India....

Mike

i think i read that the +R's are more compatible with older dvd players. try that and send us an update

Well, I just went out and bought some Maxell DVD+R and they worked perfectly :) So either my drive just dosen't like Memorex, or it dosen't like -R. Either way, I'm happy at the moment :D

Thanks for all your help guys!! :)
JigPu

Back