• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can daisy chain screw with GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I recently moved, which meant i had redo my setup a bit.

This resulted in opting for daisy chain between 2 monitors, and the last monitor with just running alone. This is done with Display port cables of course.

One day, my pc started to suddenly use 99% of ram, while in idle, and i couldnt figure what was up, but i wanted to format and have a clean install in anycase, so i did, and this really set things into a bad motion.

After the format, i installed GPU dirvers, let W10 update and so on, but i kept getting Windows errors on boot every other time i would reset my pc, somtimes it would make it into windows, but be a low res, and only 1 screen running, while there i could install Nvidia drivers (which for strange reasons suddenly was not installed)

This issues started to fade a tiny bit, and i had longer and longer between the low res boot up, but it did still happen. I started to play Postal 2, old game, nothing special for 2x 980GTX to handle. It would crash all of a sudden for no reason, with the error talking about Nvidia.

I figured, i'd try another format and reinstall. So i did this last night, and welcome to hell and non working PC. All the same issues of drivers not loading for GPU on boot up, low res, all was back.
I have then tried a few things, to try and see if one of my GPU's is crapping out or something.

The main GPU, top one, with the monitors attached was my main focus, so i unplugged the SLi bridge and set BIOS to read my second GPU at the main GPU, i then plugged my single screen into it, leaving the daisy chain on the other card.
This seemed to work better, and issues seem to go away, but after a few restarts, i started to notice that the Daisy chained screens would not launch in low rew, but my main screen (hooked up to GPU 2) was fine, but the nvidia drivers had once more not launched.

I firgured, let me unplug the daisy chain set, and run with a single monitor, i setup the GPU 1 for my testing. One monitor plugged into GPU, No SLi ribbon, booted, worked fine, ran 3DMark TimeSpy scoring what i would assume is a normal score for 980GTX (2100 points ish)

After that, i re-applied the sli ribbon, setup SLi, ran another rest, everything seems in line, and so far after about 5 to 7 restarts, it has yet to fail in loading the Nvidia drivers. So it seems to point at the daisy chain screen, could this be correct?

Or should i keep testing?

Added info.

I have unchained the monitors, so currently running 2 monitors only. Restarts are not an issues, but when having been powered off, after this, every single boot, causes a failed boot, it restarts, and boots up fine second time, everytime.

Back