• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can not get AMD overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pedro2020

Registered
Hi everyone,

I was doing an overcloking to my CPU through to the Bios, but I got an unfavourable result. My speed procesor was 2.8 Ghz and now it is less and now it is variable ( 856 - 2610 MHz).

Here are my bios information:

System Information
- Amibios: Version 0902, Build Date 05/26/10, Processor AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 925, speed 2.800 MHz
- System Memory: Size and usable 8192 MB

Jumper Free Configuration: Configuration Frequency: All Auto
CPU confiuration:
- Gart error Reporting: Disable
- Microcode Updating: Disable
- Secure Virtual Memory Mode: Disable
- Cool and Quiet: Enable

Chipset
Northbridge confiuration: Memory Configuration
-Bank interleaving: Auto
- Channel interleaving: ( XQR of address bit)
- Anable clock to all DIMMs: Enable
- Memory hole remapping: Enable
- DTC ungranged Mode: Always
- Power Down Enable: Enable
Page smashing: Both (IC DC)

ECC Confiuration: Disable

Onboard Device Configuration
- Serial Port1 address: 3F8/IRQ4
- Pararell port address: 378
- Pararell port mode: Normal
- Pararell port IRQ: IRQ7

Power
- Suspend Mode: Auto
- ACPI 2.0 support: Enable
- ACPI APIC support: Enable
APM confiration: all disable

Hardware monitor
- CPU temp. 48ºC
MB temp. 30ºC
CPU fan speed 3400 rpm
chasis fan speed 2640rpm

VCore voltage 1.296v
3.3v voltage 3.297v
5v votage 5.103v
12v voltage 11.880v

smart Q-fan function: disable

anti suge support: enable

Running CUP-Z software:

Core voltage: 0.996v
clock core (core No. 0):
- core speed : 856 to 2610 MHZ , It is variable, why ??, and the bein it was fix
- Multlipler: x 4.0 (4 - 14)
- Bus speed: 214.13 MHz
- HT link: 1070.64 MHz
- LI data: 4 x 64 Bytes, 2 ways
- LI inst 4 x 64, 2
- Level 2: 4 x 512, 16 ways
- Level 3: 6 MBytes, 46 ways

Core 4, threads 4

Mainboard: AsusTek M4N68T-M

Chipset: nvidia Geforce 7025, southbridge: nforce 630a
LPCIO: ITE IT 872
Memory: DDR3 channel dual, size 8 GB, NBFrequency 2141.3 MHz, Dram frequency: 856.5 MHz

When I was trying to do the overclocking through AMD overdrive it says: "AMD overdrive can not detect AMD chipset supported on this computer"

What should I do to increasing the speed CPU to 3.2 GHz?, which parameters should I use to get that aim, and also how to fix that speed as it was at the being 2.8 GHZ not variable.

Tnx a lot for your help :)

Last edited:
There's a pretty good link to a guide in my signatue. I suggest you have a read through it to get you more familiar with the bios. It sounds to me like the board reset to defaults after a failed overclock. One thing I noticed is that your board is reporting a 48c temp for the CPU which is quite warm at a near idle.
One thing we need to know is what are you cooling with? The stock heatsink?
That CPU has a locked multiplier so you'll need to OC with the FSB/HTT which is stock at 200. You'll need to drop the ram multiplier and also the HT/NB multipliers before you raise the HTT

HI, I am cooling with air, and look my attached. And what about the rest of the set, like voltaje etc.. amd-stock-heatsink-i11.jpg

Pedro if you read the link, then you'll know I can't tell you what voltage to use since every system is different. I have the suspicion that you won't be able to add much voltage anyway.

Thank guys, after I read your posts, I found in the bios that it has a OC profile, it has 3%, 5% and 7%, in the 7% the speed processor raise to 3.0 GHz, I thought I will stay there. :)

Usually BIOS OC profiles will also drop the Ram, Ht link and Nb frequency which may hinder the performance more then you gain from the OC. Doing the Oc manually is usually your best bet.

Mandrake, that is what I need some help, I am not an expert overclocker, I need the correct parameters to do it manually, I will thank

Thank guys, after I read your posts, I found in the bios that it has a OC profile, it has 3%, 5% and 7%, in the 7% the speed processor raise to 3.0 GHz, I thought I will stay there. :)

The profiles are just no fun. And you could get more potential manually overclocking.... which we suggest!!!

The "variable" clock speed you refer to happens because cool and quiet is enabled. You want to disable this feature to hold a steady clock speed.

Most important thing is your cooling. If your running a stock cpu cooler, it's advise to upgrade and be sure there is good case air flow as well.

Hardware monitor
- CPU temp. 48ºC

This tid bit is a little high for what your running already.

You should try overclocking at stock voltage first and see what you can get. Adding voltage at this point will only cause you trouble because of the higher temps.

Three things you need to keep within spec while overclocking the Cpu.

Hyper transport (HT) - you want to stay around 2000mhz, so you lower the multiplier before you hit 210 bus frequency.

Chipset (NorthBridge) - you should also keep the frequency around 2000, also lower the mulitplier. (Even if your under 2000mhz for both HT and NB, it's ok. There's plenty of bandwidth there)

Random Access Memory (RAM) - 856.5 MHz - Lower the frequency but keep the same timings. If timings are on auto, change that manually (A Cpu-Z of your SPD tab would help wonders configuring your memory)

So if you follow what's going on there, you'll get some good speed going. I'd imagine that 1.35v will get you up towards 3.4ghz -3.6ghz and would really be a sweet spot.

But your cooling must be addressed IMO. 48c is a little high for only 1.300v.

i didnt notice any one mention it but the reason it is down clocking is he has cool and quiet enabled you need to disable it and it wont clock down

Hi guys, I was doing that:

1. I diseabled cool and quiet.
2. set the processor frequency multiplier in full x14 (x14 in the beginning was x 200 = 2.8 Hz which is the normal speed of the CPU).
3. inceasing cpu reference clock from 200 to a higher value.

so, I could reach more than 3.0 GHz what is one value that i never obtained :) .

Then I set the cpu clock at 219 (3074 MHz)

Then I was doing the same, increasing at 1 MHz, but the pc did not start, I retourned to the previous values and then it Works again,

I was trying increasing cpu over voltaje but did not work, I set it at 1.26250, 1.275, 1.300 (more tha 1.300 it changes to yellwo color)

I attached some picures and I would want to increasing more tan 3074MHz, like 3.3 GHz but do not know what to do, if someone might tell what can i do , then i was doing it and tell you the results.

https://mega.nz/#!2B4TlLiA!odoUTJkh8jsYbSi9WAT9M3MdO6oRe2tQmTZZ-8xD5u8

cheers,

Pedro, you will be significantly limited in your over clocking by 1. insufficient CPU cooling and 2. a lower end motherboard with wimpy power phase components. Having said that, did you remember to lower your RAM frequency one whole notch before starting to increase the reference clock? When you increase the reference clock, the CPU frequency is not the only thing that speeds up. RAM frequency, CPU/NB frequency and HT Link frequency also grow bigger. You may need to lower each of these at certain points in order to maintain stability, especially the RAM frequency divider.

Please attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Do you know how to attach pics directly to your posts? Use the Go Advanced button. We really don't want links. We want attached pics.

I could reach 3.1 GHz :), using this, but it was not easy,, multiplier 14, FBS 221, HT voltaje 1.22, chipset voltaje 1.25, memory clock value 400 MHz (440 to 850), memory voltaje 1.575.

Do I have to move in the same direction or doing another thing to achieve 3.3 GHz ?. what about memory clock value i have it at 400,, am I losing memory to set it at mínimum? I have rather into 3.1 with a better memory instead 3.3 with bad memory.... help...

OC_1_221x14_V 1.40625, 1.22, 1.24, 1.575 x   400=3100.png

http://s11.postimg.org/5isf57zsj/OC_1_221x14_V_1_40625_1_22_1_24_1_575_x_400.png

Last edited:
The pic you posted doesn't give enough info. Is that taken at idle or under load?
We need some CPUz pics as well main,memory and spd tabs.

Yes you have really cut your ram speed in half, what happens when you raise it back to 800 and set the timings

yes it looks, but when I was trying to incease to a higher level the pc does not start, what can I do to fix it ?

Also running some hard game the temps. look high, look at this

high_temp.png

You're way, way too hot, you really should consider getting a decent heatsink if you want to even attempt to overclock. I suggest you set everything back to stock until you do so.

yes, I am going to set all voltaje again to a minimum values and stay at 3.1 GHz and check it out. I think I am doing something wrong.

also, I saw that in chipset - northbridge - memory configuration - enable clock to all DIMMs is disable, is it right?

Pedro, after you put everything back to stock, disable the automatic overclocking wizard and choose manual overclock. Then you should manually set the RAM speed divider to 667/1333. Since CPU-z reports the DDR bus speed rather than the DDR3 speed it would show 667 which would be 1333 in DDR3 terms. Start there. Add .025 to the core voltage. Lower the HT Link to 800 (4x). Then start increasing the CPU reference clock by 10 mhz increments until you can no longer pass a 20 minute Prime95 stress test. Then reduce the CPU reference clock by 5 mhz and retest with Prime95. If you pass, do a long stress test with wither Intel XTreme Tuning Utility or AiDA64 Extreme, like 8 hr. If you fail that. Cut your CPU Reference clock back a tad more. Watch CPU temps and core temps in HWMonitor. Keep the former at 70c or below and the latter at 65 or below. Try this strategy. Post back with pics.

Back