• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't up-grade my RAM !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wormzog

I've been given a stick of 32MB RAM for my Jetway618AS Motherboard. When I fit it my BIOS posts 192MBRAM but windows wont boot, I get "KERNEL" errors.

I'm puzzled, the existing RAM in my system is a single 128MBSDRAM stick,so, should my BIOS post 160MB? surely it should!

I don't know what type of RAM this stick is, it fits in theDIMM socket whick is 168pin, but as I've said, I get told by my BIOS that I've got 192MB (This suggests a 64MB stick, however, the stick has a label clearly stating "32MB" on it! - I'm at a loss!! )

If its any use, on the "32" stick, the RAM chips have "SMT 9936W1 WTC4MGS4T - 8" on them, theres 8 each side (16 in total) the PCB that carries the RAM states "M4168A 94V0" on it..

I'm assuming my 128MB stick and this one are not compatible, but, I have friends with mixed RAM sticks in there systems, and who simply had to fit them for their system to recognise them.

So, assuming I'll have to buy more RAM..........
Thanks in advance folks!

Celeron700 @800mhz (RAM problem not fixed by going back to normal clock speed!) Voodoo3AGP, 128MB SDR.
Voodoo3 overclocked to 174mhz from stock 166mhz, Again, same problem exists if I revert to stock 166mhz.

All i can think of is that the RAM may be bad. I built a system for a friend and put 128mb of RAM in it..he started getting kernel erros also..well i took his ram out and put it in my system i got kernel errors also..so he bought a new stick and hasnt had problems since then.

It was duff RAM guys, Just got another 128MB stick out of friends system, system boots and runs fine, and quicker too! wonder what putting 256mb in will do!
Thought it was duff, but best to check.
But, If its duff, Why does my BIOS pass it as ok on self-test or is it only an "Amount of RAM" test or somthing like that? Thanks...

Back