• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

car subwoofers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wicked_Klown said:
I've heard the same thing. After all you start moving those subs and the shape just can't take the beating.

Not always true, you just have to make sure to break them in properly....not doing so can cause damage.

AsusLover said:
Not always true, you just have to make sure to break them in properly....not doing so can cause damage.

breaking in isn't the issue. the shop i worked at was a kicker dealer, we had a lot of RMA kicker subs and usually because of the same reason. they wouldn't really blow, fry, ect. it was mechanical damage, the entire suspension would give and the sub wouldn't move. they are really cheaply made for the amount of power they're rated for. for these kind of subs, there really isn't a need to break in. With the larger more expensive subs, you might need to break them in, so to say, you blast it so you can melt the extra glue on the voice coil :)

snyper1982 said:
I doubt your going to find a 5000 watt RMS sub, but good luck. I would reccomend just going with some of the measly 1-1500 watt rms subs korndog recomended :). IF you have an extended cab, you could take out the back seats, if not your only other option would be a cut through, which most people will not do. Another thing, I hope you plan on upgrading your electrical system if you plan on running that much power. You should see about getting a dual Alternator setup, one just for your audio. It would help if you listed what kind of truck you have, what amps you plan on using, etc.

I found this on eBay. 5000wrms, 10000 peak. I doubt its quality though. I'm not too familliar with audio stuff. I have a 94 F150. I was looking at memphis amps.. any suggestions? I wanna get the most out of these subs.

Korndog said:
i see.. well, you could consider the DD9515 or 9517, MMats juggernut, Orion H2, RE MT, or the new adire tumult. i'm sure they can all do 5000wrms burps. but now u say truck, how much room do u have to spare? these subs need large boxes or its a waste.

The entire pickup is free. I'm going to get a nice cover for it.

Cool site, Camacho111. Watching the sub move is half the fun of having a system. :)

Is that a Kicker grill I see on that 12", Korndog. Busted! :santa:

You guys know of any good sites with sound clips? Like sweeps and burping.

there are some on the same right, realmofexcurision
yes thats a kicker grill, lol, like i said, i used to have a kicker system before that one, a grill is a grill.

AFAIK, Kicker solved most of the initial problems with the L7's, I personally have never owned one, but know two guys around here that both do, and they come highly recommended on many audio forums for their ability to "get loud cheaply". Can't say I like their sub-par SQ though...

On a side note, the only car audio shop within 40 miles of me is now closing. I haven't gone in there for years, basically because it was staffed by a bunch of kids who didn't know their heads from the other place, and because of outrageous pricing. It appears they couldn't stay open anymore, especially with Best Buy opening a couple months ago selling similar gear (albeit alot more mainstream stuff as well).

A friend of mine has a kicker l7 15, running at 600 watts

he scored around 150 db at our school sound off competition

what kind of mic was it? sounds like broken one, lol.
on the termlab mic (one of the most accurate) even 4 L7 with a great box and install would barly get over 150.

I've seen a tri of L7 15" with 1.5kw each in a full size truck, blowthrough and man was that violent. I swear the fenders where gonna fall off. He hit around 155db, legal. :drool:

Korndog said:
what kind of mic was it? sounds like broken one, lol.
on the termlab mic (one of the most accurate) even 4 L7 with a great box and install would barly get over 150.

i'm not insulting your intelligence here...but it's all down to the install and the resonant freq of the vehicle and tuning....Some of the offical Kicker DBdrag cars have 2-4 subs with about 1-1.5kw's going to them and get well into the 150's....i've personally seen 160's pulled with 4 15" L7's in a wall with only 2kw's of power.

AsusLover said:
i'm not insulting your intelligence here...but it's all down to the install and the resonant freq of the vehicle and tuning....Some of the offical Kicker DBdrag cars have 2-4 subs with about 1-1.5kw's going to them and get well into the 150's....i've personally seen 160's pulled with 4 15" L7's in a wall with only 2kw's of power.

yes that it is ture, but its very rare, very very rare. also, i seem to hit 143db on an audiocontrol mic and barly 130dB with the termlab even though its the same location, same day, about the same time. and i've seeen people using other meters and getting all kinds of different stuff. thats why i always ask, what mic did u use, because it can make a HUGE difference.

Korndog said:
yes that it is ture, but its very rare, very very rare. also, i seem to hit 143db on an audiocontrol mic and barly 130dB with the termlab even though its the same location, same day, about the same time. and i've seeen people using other meters and getting all kinds of different stuff. thats why i always ask, what mic did u use, because it can make a HUGE difference.

oh i totally agree with the mics.... :)

well maybe it wasnt exactly 150, but it was in the higher 140's, it was weird because he scored higher then a guy with 2 l7 15's with 1000w runnin threw them

bohansen said:
well maybe it wasnt exactly 150, but it was in the higher 140's, it was weird because he scored higher then a guy with 2 l7 15's with 1000w runnin threw them

like i said it comes down to the install :) You can have all the power in the world and the best subs and the worst install and some no name could beat them....it's called design :)

arguing about who can get the worst SQ. whats this world come to? why dont we just put PA speakers in the car while we are at it? above 100dB destroys human ear tissue......this is a fact.

zabomb4163 said:
arguing about who can get the worst SQ. whats this world come to? why dont we just put PA speakers in the car while we are at it? above 100dB destroys human ear tissue......this is a fact.

Been there, done that.... 1991-Kenword 1021 and JBL sp-4.

zabomb4163 said:

Not everyone is interested in purely SQ. Alot of people really enjoy SPL competitions, and while I personally am not one of them, I don't see the point in bringing their thread down?

Usually they're not in the car when they hit those numbers...

Back