• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case painting troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mysphyt

Okay. I'm following--or endeavouring to follow--the guide in the sticky, but I keep finding that every time I try to sand, I end up back at the bare metal. This is especially true around the edges and ridges--I have a very ridgy case. Is there anything I can do to preven this happening? From the sound of the guide, it shouldn't be.

My impulse is that the panels aren't actually getting flat, no matter how violently I sand them. How am I supposed to tell when they're flat? I can tell you they're as smooth as a bald man's head in a car wash, but smooth is clearly not the same as flat. Any ideas?

for one you might be using to coarse(sp) of sandpaper in between coats of paint, causing you to hit metal quickly. The guide does state (I think) that you must do raised areas, such as corners and handles where the metal has been bent, by hand otherwise you will hit metal everytime because they are not flat. Try using a finer grit sandpaper and sanding with less pressure between coats of paint.

had the same problem.i just used a little bit thicker coat in those areas and did lite sanding.

u should be doing around 400 grit between coats, or maybe a little higher if ur still getting trouble, and btw are u using that plastikote from an automotive store like in the guide and not some cheap rip-off? good luck
________
lesbians Cams

Last edited:
Yes, it sounds like you might be painting too fast and not getting enough paint on it or are doing too much sanding. I found some spots that just due to the metal bends would always go to the metal so I sanded that spot less than other places while still getting it smooth. What also helped was when an area did that while painting the panel I would do an extra coat on that area while painting. I just went over it a couple more passes while painting a layer. Also make sure you are using laquer and like dalilman52 said use the plastikote stuff, it works great.

Yeah, I'm actually using the same paint as in the guide, but I haven't actually gotten to the point where I'm putting paint on yet. Just primer, so far. I'll try a thicker coat and a touch lighter sanding tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Back