• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

City of Villains.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SO's were 33.33% across the board, so a 6-slotted attack with even-level damage enhances would be close to +200% of the base damage.

edit: forgot about the other "schedules" of enhances. So a 6-slotted tanker shield would have +120% def and/or resist or whatever.

Basically there were no diminished returns.

Servers just went down for the head start, I hit level 18 before it happened. Now I have to blow $$$ on the Full Version. Hope it drops in price quickly at BB.

twEEkerAreUs said:
Servers just went down for the head start, I hit level 18 before it happened. Now I have to blow $$$ on the Full Version. Hope it drops in price quickly at BB.

Rather doubtful... why don't you spend the 50 dollars and have the peace of mind of not having your character erased?

Schalldampfer said:
Rather doubtful... why don't you spend the 50 dollars and have the peace of mind of not having your character erased?

What the hell are you talking about Lol? My character isn't going to be erased, I only said that because Wed at Best Buy for card holders the game is for $39. Come Wed I'll pick it up in the morning, level 20 now so no rush.

I liked CoH a lot and love the theme, but got tired of doing the same stuff over and over, which was fighting the same mobs over and over (mostly humanoids amd those robots). Even the quests were exactly like hunting, only you would click on the object you were after at the end of it.

Is there more diversity in game play? What kinds of things have they added to do since... I quite after about the third month it came out I think?

Thanks for the info.

There still isn't much variety in gameplay, it's always fighting something. However, the gameplay changes drastically post level 20 (you start fighting different groups of mobs with more powerful powers), post 30, and post 40. Eventually you start fighting mobs that can kill blasters/defenders/controlelrs in 1 shot, so effective grouping becomes much more important.

I enjoyed Task Forces, which are 2-hour + missions that you must start and end with one group (no one else may enter the group). It adds a nice dimension where you actually are forced to get to know group members.

They added badge-collecting, which is kind of a fluff addition. You get badges for killing different kinds of mobs, exploring areas, dying a lot, healing a lot, being stunned a lot. I never really got into collecting, but a lot of people did.

I was a real fan of the gameplay after level 20, when the game gets a lot crazier and difficult. It's very fast paced and you need to pay attention, which is why I'm such a fan of the game. It does get repetitive until then, especially if you don't have a travel power, and the groups of mobs are "blah." But after 20, you really start putting the "super" in superhero.

twEEkerAreUs said:
What the hell are you talking about Lol? My character isn't going to be erased, I only said that because Wed at Best Buy for card holders the game is for $39. Come Wed I'll pick it up in the morning, level 20 now so no rush.

Ah... haha, ok. I was just fearful of the fact that they might delete the temporary accounts... not that I have one. And I didn't know the games dropped in their price on Wednesdays... I'll have to go check it out. Thanks for the info.

Xymurgy said:
There still isn't much variety in gameplay, it's always fighting something. However, the gameplay changes drastically post level 20 (you start fighting different groups of mobs with more powerful powers), post 30, and post 40. Eventually you start fighting mobs that can kill blasters/defenders/controlelrs in 1 shot, so effective grouping becomes much more important.

I enjoyed Task Forces, which are 2-hour + missions that you must start and end with one group (no one else may enter the group). It adds a nice dimension where you actually are forced to get to know group members.

They added badge-collecting, which is kind of a fluff addition. You get badges for killing different kinds of mobs, exploring areas, dying a lot, healing a lot, being stunned a lot. I never really got into collecting, but a lot of people did.

I was a real fan of the gameplay after level 20, when the game gets a lot crazier and difficult. It's very fast paced and you need to pay attention, which is why I'm such a fan of the game. It does get repetitive until then, especially if you don't have a travel power, and the groups of mobs are "blah." But after 20, you really start putting the "super" in superhero.

lol, thats about all I played it to. I re-roll way to much. I had a few toons in the teens and quit the nght i got my scrapper to 20 because it was too much mindless hunting with no real structure to any groups I was ever in.

Super jump kind of sucked too, I thought I'd beable to jump over large buildings like the hulk so travel would be made a lot faster vs. a little faster with the high, but not that high super jump (whatever it was called).

Anyway, it sounds pretty sweet again so I'll have to scratch the itch and subscribe again for a while.

OC Noob said:
lol, thats about all I played it to. I re-roll way to much. I had a few toons in the teens and quit the nght i got my scrapper to 20 because it was too much mindless hunting with no real structure to any groups I was ever in.

Super jump kind of sucked too, I thought I'd beable to jump over large buildings like the hulk so travel would be made a lot faster vs. a little faster with the high, but not that high super jump (whatever it was called).

Anyway, it sounds pretty sweet again so I'll have to scratch the itch and subscribe again for a while.

Haha. Welcome back. I hope to join you soon, too. Try to join a supergroup; it REALLY helps with your character buildilng... and once I had my level 50, I concentrated heavily on maintaining my full supergroup, which I sadly had to quit because of school work. Also, try getting Super Speed instead of Jump. I found it easier to navigate with.

Schalldampfer said:
Haha. Welcome back. I hope to join you soon, too. Try to join a supergroup; it REALLY helps with your character buildilng... and once I had my level 50, I concentrated heavily on maintaining my full supergroup, which I sadly had to quit because of school work. Also, try getting Super Speed instead of Jump. I found it easier to navigate with.

Yeah, super jump was a bit of a disapointment. Back then I hadn't seen anyone using it and thought it had to be really high just because the fly ability opened up the map so much and thought it would be some-what equivelent. Well, it did open travel up a lot, but nothing compared to fly.

Oh well, its still a fun skill.

Xymurgy said:
Put a jump height SO & you'll jump 33% higher.

Half the powers you can't really comment on unless they're enchanted :p

SO? I know what it stands for now, but what is it? i rember enhancements or whatever they were called. Are those special enhancements?

OC Noob said:
SO? I know what it stands for now, but what is it? i rember enhancements or whatever they were called. Are those special enhancements?

SO = Special Origin???

I know DO = Dual Origin, there the expensive enhancements that are the best I believe. Still learning all the terms, learn something new each time I play. Picking it up this morning to level grind w00t, anyone that wants to join a Super Group let me know I am in one and have a huge friends list.

Single Origin. The most expensive you can buy.

This thread is taking me back. I may have to pick it up again.

FYI, you can't buy them unless you're level 23. You can get SO's by completing any Task Force mission, or I think there's a mission in the Hollows that give one, as well.

Last edited:
Ah, cool.

I just had crappy enhancements that dropped off level 25 and below mobs and I only reached 20 at the highest so was never able to use So's and not even aware of them, lol.

I didn't know about them for a while either. They're not in the manual, and you need to go into particular (read: hard to find) shops in Talos Island to buy them.

Xymurgy said:
Single Origin. The most expensive you can buy.

This thread is taking me back. I may have to pick it up again.

FYI, you can't buy them unless you're level 23. You can get SO's by completing any Task Force mission, or I think there's a mission in the Hollows that give one, as well.

Yeah my mistake, the whole enhancement thing was a total blur for me untill recently which is pretty sad. Got it down now and understand how it works, it is lvl 23 I believe and they cost a fortune. I'm 21 now and have a handful of DO's and AI drops. Before that I had garbage and pretty much nothing, makes such a difference w00t.

Hey instead of making a new thread, I figured I'd just post back in here. If anyone wants to play the game free for 14 days, let me know. You have to make a new account though, I have 3 free passes. PM Me

I always want to start playing CoH again, but everytime I do I get bored within a week. There's just not enough to this game to make it worth the $15 a month for me.

Back