• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clearing cmos causes board to not post for hours?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

My friend has a GA K8NS, and is having problems. Whenever he resets the cmos, its hours before it will post again. One time he actualy had to wait until the next morning for his pc to work. I don't know necessarily that its the motherboard, but I think we have covered all of the other variables. Ohh, also, he has the latest bios.

So... any opinions on why this happens? Ever heard of it happening? What can we do to fix it?

I have seen this before also when i was trying to fix my friends computer. Except his also had a PSU protectant that wouldnt even allow us to turn it on for about 6hrs !

VERY frustrating. Check that there is no modded BIOS with that option turned off?

has he removed the battery? or just shorted the pins.

I'd check that the battery is in correct orientation, and the jumpers are set. Maybe trying a new battery

I get that sometimes...

but thast only from Extreme overclocking....and i reset the CMOS.. a few times, i had to let the PC just sit for like half an hour before i can try it again.

A few times, it helped by not only jumping the pins, but taking the battery out, while the pins are jumped.

It may have helped...it may not have. But I would do that sometimes...it SEEMS as if it helps..but i doubt it does.

but you could try that..

also, as someone else said....go out and buy a new battery. see if that helps.

We are still trying to get it to boot. Twice so far we have left the battery out for 2 hours, then put it in, and it started to post. Almost immediatly it freezes. We swapped out every part with another system except the motherboard, so that has to be it.

He told me this is exactly what happened last time, and he had to leave the battery out for 24 hours.

This is unusual. We let it sit overnight and it "nearly" posted again, but no luck. We are going to disassemble it.

It comes up with the screen telling us about the CPU and memory, and it freezes there, not letting us get into the bios menu. Anything we could try?

Bump!@ :temper:

Back