• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Codename: G92

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Personally I'm hoping that next month brings new faster cards. I need to buy a new one asap.

According to a news from a German website, that based their information on an article from hkepc.com, the following information is revealed:

- announcement of the G92 chip at the 12. of november
- memoryinterface will be 256Bit (not 512Bit)
- build utilizing the 65nm process
- the interface will be compatible with the DisplayPort standard

And last but not least:

- the G92 chip will not introduce the GeForce 9 series, the news states that it will only replace the current top-of-the-line generation 8 cards

Update: And its not for sure atm whether it will support dX 10.1 and oGL 3.
G92 = 8700. I was confused about this whole thing for a bit, but then I realized nVidia would prolly name the 9XXX series G90... To make things even more confusing, G100 is already slated for an early '08 release I believe o_O Some really messed up stuff if you ask me :bang head

-Mobious-

There was a huge thread done by one of our own members (Dominick32) with considerable testing done. Basically the only way you will CPU bottleneck is if you are using **** poor resolution ie: 1024 X 768.

Dominick32 said:
As you can see, at a standard resolution of 1024 X 768, and maximum/ultra settings. An 8800 GPU definitely scales a tiny bit with CPU clockspeed up to about 3.40 GHz on an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. However, under high resolution gaming (for example: max/ultra quality and 1280 X 960) the 8800 GPU absolutely does not scale with CPU power AT ALL. I'm talking zilch, nada, nothing.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=487151

This was for FEAR testing alone, but you can dig yourself for the other threads showing similar results for other gfx testing, which were all very similar.

Last edited:
Awesome link there, 3.4Ghz on 8800GTX for low low resolutions.

Weird...

Last edited:
Well take it for what its worth but my bosses brother works for Nvidia in R&D in the Santa Clara campus. He was speaking to him last night about how his computer locked up and crashed when playing lost planet. His brother explained that the current cards had issues with lost planet and bioshock, although my boss doesnt have any issues with bioshock, as well as vista. He said the problems could nto be fixed with drivers. He then said the new card is going to be released in November. My boss failed to ask if this would be a completley new model or just a refresh of the current. His brother just said it was supposed to fix the current problems they are having with gaming.

If you look at my post history I dont post in speculatory threads often if ever. I saw this thread the other day and decided to ask my boss to talk to his brother about the situation. Take it for what it is worth. He didnt say anything about an october release of any card. Only that a new card to fix issues was comming in november.

Well take it for what its worth but my bosses brother works for Nvidia in R&D in the Santa Clara campus. He was speaking to him last night about how his computer locked up and crashed when playing lost planet. His brother explained that the current cards had issues with lost planet and bioshock, although my boss doesnt have any issues with bioshock, as well as vista. He said the problems could nto be fixed with drivers. He then said the new card is going to be released in November. My boss failed to ask if this would be a completley new model or just a refresh of the current. His brother just said it was supposed to fix the current problems they are having with gaming.

If you look at my post history I dont post in speculatory threads often if ever. I saw this thread the other day and decided to ask my boss to talk to his brother about the situation. Take it for what it is worth. He didnt say anything about an october release of any card. Only that a new card to fix issues was comming in november.

But that doesn't make any sense at all. There's no competition for the top of line card right now and I haven't heard of any widespread problems...

Unless they are looking for a 8700 or something like that.

What does it matter to Nvidia if there's no competition for the top two cards for the current generation? Why would that stop them from pushing a new generation of cards (incidentally with DX10.1 support) with no foreseeable retaliation from ATI? There's a demographic for the latest and greatest and if a 9XXX series shows a marked improvement in DX10 performance over the 8800, they'll sell. This is a speculative thread, but that doesn't mean some arguments can't be reasoned against; e.g. "NVidia won't release a replacement for the 8800 line because there's no competition against it." Wrong, NVidia is a profit-driven company and would release a new series of video cards every 3 months if there was sufficient profit in it.

The thing is that there's no point in releasing it RIGHT NOW. (Or November, as stated)

The 8800 cards are profitable, and already have been manufactured and costs are down.

Later they will, but currently, probably not.

The thing is that there's no point in releasing it RIGHT NOW. (Or November, as stated)

The 8800 cards are profitable, and already have been manufactured and costs are down.

Later they will, but currently, probably not.

Right, they're profitable, and manufacturing costs are down - the perfect time to do a refresh (e.g. 8700, 8900) or a new series to inflate the top end or widen the middle.

Back