• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coffeelake and Donutlake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, then if X16/X16 lanes on the cards is not that big of a deal, then there's always the 7820X option which is way cheaper (about 1/2 the cost), but has 28 lanes (instead of 44), so crossfire runs at X16/X8. The 7820X has 8 cores vs. 12 cores of the 7920X. I'm seriously thinking of getting something this fall and skipping Coffeelake. Perhaps see what's ahead on the next die shrink (Cannonlake).

If you want to split hairs you are welcome to. Im just making a point that such a long time between sockets can lead to missing features. :)

1. How many features are actually based on the CPU?
2. How many PCIe lanes do they need if on an external controller?
3. Does it really even matter given the PCIe lane count on Ryzen?

Thought that photo comparing the 8700K vs. 7700K would be worthy to post here.

Delidded 8700K vs. 77000K.jpg

Speaking of delidding, is the new delid tool for the X-series socket 2066 available yet? I saw a couple places that are taking pre-orders.

I remember there were huge delays with tools for KL ... I got mine 3 months after premiere. SL-X is for a long time on the market and I haven't seen any tools reported to be available anytime soon. I can be wrong as I wasn't really searching for one but most of those who released tools for KL won't release anything for SL-X.

Der8auer's wasn't in stock anywhere when I last looked a week or so ago. I also noticed Rockit seem to have produced a new version called 99 for 2066, compared to the 88 for 115x. It looks orderable but I haven't heard more about it. https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/rockit-99-delid-and-relid-kit-for-skylakex-kabylakex

It looks like a bigger version of the 88, but it does make you wonder why der8auer's version needs to be so complex (and thus costly) in comparison? I think Rockit are US based so might be a lot cheaper/faster than waiting on der8auer's.

I remember that der8auer's KL kit was pretty much not available anywhere 2 months after promissed premiere. Made a lot of noise but later suppliers were giving back money from pre-orders or were offering competitive products ... and I also got something else.
Rockit is not available in popular EU stores and shipping would cost as much as this tool. I'm also not sure if I really want to delid my 7900X. Well, it runs hot but does it make any difference for me ? ... not really, at least not for daily usage and tests for reviews. However I'm not saying no and I would think about it if there was available tool in reasonable price.

I did buy the Rockit 88 myself as it was the only one available at the time I was looking. US to EU shipping plus customs did cost about as much as the product itself. I've used it enough I don't mind, as I can do a lot of 115x, the same can't be said of of the HEDT CPUs...

im waiting on reviews I assume are tomorrow...trying to decide if going from my broadwell e 8 core, to delidded coffee 6, then mainstream 8 core in later 2018, or just wait for mainstream 8 core in 2018. Since intel killed my desire for enthusiast line...im glad the mainstream is becoming more attractive with 6 then 8 cores.

im waiting on reviews I assume are tomorrow...trying to decide if going from my broadwell e 8 core, to delidded coffee 6, then mainstream 8 core in later 2018, or just wait for mainstream 8 core in 2018. Since intel killed my desire for enthusiast line...im glad the mainstream is becoming more attractive with 6 then 8 cores.

What resolution/refresh rate do you play at?

The only advantage of the 8700k over your broadwell-e (outside of benching), would be playing @1080p/144Hz+.

If it is not the case, there is zero need of changing platform.

Well, we'll see how the Rocket 99 does, assuming it's in stock. I just ordered one. Shipping was 8 bucks.

For the mature car buffs, Rocket 88 was an Oldsmobile from the 1950s (also an oldies song).

What resolution/refresh rate do you play at?

The only advantage of the 8700k over your broadwell-e (outside of benching), would be playing @1080p/144Hz+.

If it is not the case, there is zero need of changing platform.

yeah, part of it as always is want a new toy to play with, but would like some benefit from the new toy or its not as fun. I make some videos and game is most cpu intensive use... 6 core would be slight downgrade for video encoding, then gaming at 1440P 140hz with titan XP, there are few games that benefit at 1440 and margin is very small for the few that do. Will probably end up waiting for 8 core in 2018 and just live vicariously through others on this one, but will make final decision after seeing reviews. If it was the 8 core coming out now, I would be all in...new toy and at least some small improvement across the board.

Anybody hear of SuperBiiz? The have lowered the price on the CPU I'm watching. The website seems very cheesy, but they have good reviews, a few claiming slow orders, but others comparing them favorably to newegg.

Opt33, the 8 core Coffeelake won't be released until probably second quarter next year. Lots of cores on those i9 processors though if that's what you want. ;)

Anybody hear of SuperBiiz? The have lowered the price on the CPU I'm watching. The website seems very cheesy, but they have good reviews, a few claiming slow orders, but others comparing them favorably to newegg.

Opt33, the 8 core Coffeelake won't be released until probably second quarter next year. Lots of cores on those i9 processors though if that's what you want. ;)

I used to buy stuff from SuperBiiz 10 years ago, but not recently. I had no problem with them back then.

yeah realize it is late 2018 for 8 core, which is the only reason I was tempted to buy 6 core to play with in the meantime. 8 cores is a nice balance for my gaming and productivity use...but no interest in skylake x for gaming.

Used superbiz recently... went fine.

Is there a 8c CFL CPU? I thought the 8700k/6c was it? And every thing moves up. I3 is 4c, i5 is 4c/8t, and i7 is 8c/16t?

Putting out an octo on mainstream doesnt make sense to me as that would really cut into hedt.

Back