• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comprehensive Windows-based Antivirus Poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which Antivirus do you use on your PC(s)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote goes to AVG pro.
I used to use Norton but after the subscription ran out I decided to switch. I tried AVG free but I opted for the paid one. One thing I really like about AVG is that it seems to update every day or at least every other day. When I was using Norton...it seems like it only updated on Wed. night.
Another thing, over the years I have been infected with several viruses that just seemed to shut down or bypass Norton. I found this unacceptable...what's the point in paying for something that doesn't even work when you need it the most.

...and that's just my $0.02...

AntiVir here - not the fastest but thorough. I tried NOD 32 and was floored by its speed but for some reason it knocked out my internet connection, so I went back to AntiVir.

In an ideal world I'd have two AV's installed, but that's asking for too much trouble (ever seen two women fighting over one guy..?)

I've been using AVG Free since the last couples days after reading the reccomendations. But I've also been running ZoneAlarm Security Suite (for the firewall), but I leave the antivirus for the suite running as well.

What do you guys think about the ZoneAlarm Antivirus?

I have the paid version of AVG at work and I like it better than anything else out there. I use the free version at home and itr works well but the paid version works better for my reps that have laptops because if you have an update or scan scheduled and the pc is turned off it runs when it comes back on.

I use Bitdefender Free at the moment (not an option in the poll, shame on IMOG!). :D Had Norton Pro 2003 and AVG too, but got rid of those.

Tried Norton and it was puffed up. ZeroKnowledge (No fib, real name) offered free by IP, big mistake. I think my internet provider just wiped out half its customers with that. PC-Cillin better, but update subscription expired last month. AVG free looks good!

EDIT: :thup: Thanks, to everyone who recommended AVG. Apart from the contrived full scan scheduling limitation (incentive to purchase pro version), this is a good, compact product.

Last edited:
Avast

"It also seems to get "broken" more easily than other programs, has anyone else every noticed that? I've had countless machines come into the shop where the liveupdate function refused to work, or automatic protection mode won't enable, and after going to symantec's website, the final solution was to reinstall the whole AV program."

Man, I hear that!
Anywho...I use Avast right now, and I think its pretty neat :beer: ...I set the real time scanner to "High", and when it updates..It actually tells me...With a voice...none of this text junk you old foggies like ;)...Its "pretty" and I can't tell that its using much memory at all...(No difference when I boot up)...I was concerned though that I had never heard of it...Then, I come here...And its a poll choice...Now, I have someone ELSE to blame if the update voice suddenly says something like: " You are now infected by more viruses than you could possibly delete should you ever find them. This anti-virus program was a trojan. You sorry loser you.."...
Did I mention its free to any home user who doesn't use his computer for profit?

Last edited:
Lets bump an old thread. :)

NOD32 on desktops.
Kaspersky on servers.
Symantec AV on Firewall applicance (SGS 5420).

However, I really enjoy using NOD on the desktops. Lite on resources, heavy on protection & auto updates really makes it a joy to use. 12 MB's of memory is all the resident scanner uses.

nod32.jpg

Being able to enable/disable AMON (Antivirus Monitor), IMON (Internet Monitor), EMON (E-Mail Monitor) & DMON (MS Office Document Monitor) with 1 click of the mouse is handy, as is the clean & organized interface.

With daily virus definition file updates pushed automatically to your system, NOD32 is kept up to date without user intervention.

When a virus is found by any of the monitors, information is written to the log file and a very clean, non-resource intensive window pops up, detailing the circumstances of the detected virus(es), the infected file(s) and offers to either clean, quarantine or delete the offending file(s).

nod32alert.jpg

All in all, a nice & effective anti-virus package.

Last edited:
Well i tryed AVG and tell u the truth im pretty happy with the fast results. i never thoght i would have 11 viruses but wow. it was pretty good. and this thread I VOTE STICKY. :beer:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 314
No virusscanners in stalled on any of my systems. Instead, i run the panda antivirus Activescan (free online scan, no installation required) once a week.

Where's the "none" option?

Been w/o the ol' computer condom for a few years. Just found most of them to bog down the system. I'll install NAV once every couple of months to scan and find just what I figured, nothing. Just gotta be careful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back