• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer not working after vacation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It really would be helpful to know what video card you are running.

To check this, go to Control Panel>Device Manager and then click on the > next the "Display Adapter" line. Our concern is that your small 400W PSU may not be able to supply enough juice anymore to power the video card if the video card is one that draws a lot of power.

To check the video card info you can also click on the "Graphics" tab of CPU-z.

My computers not letting me turn it on to find that out at the moment

Can you remove the graphics card and plug your monitor in to the motherboard? Don't miss the clip on the PCIe slot to unlock the card before pulling it out.

The only way is to swap it with another PSU that is known to be a good unit. Fact is, you need a better, higher wattage PSU than you have anyway, even if that is not the main problem. You gotta start somewhere.

Last edited:
What's a good one that will get the job done I'm also planning on updating a lot of my computer in the near future as well so??

But also won't break the bank like $140 limit

What's a good one that will get the job done I'm also planning on updating a lot of my computer in the near future as well so??

But also won't break the bank like $140 limit

What country are you in?

Do you have the ability or are you willing to purchase components online or will you only buy from retail brick and mortar stores?

The Corsair CX series is certainly serviceable.

Corsair, Seasonic, Antec and EVGA are respected brands.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33274?gclid=CPT8uODLmNECFUxWvQodfX8DKQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was looking at This one seems alright

- - - Updated - - -

I have an atx case do I have to fit the psu to that

That's much bigger than you need.

Here's an alternate suggestion that should meet your needs very well and cost less. With only one video card 500 honest watts should be plenty.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/21569/corsair-cx-500-v3-power-supply

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another good option: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34535/antec-neo-eco-ii-550w-power-supply

How much would I need to upgrade my pic for that to not be enough

- - - Updated - - -

Pc

By adding a second video card you would up the anti on the PSU wattage. If you stick with one video card, either of the two PSUs I listed would be very adequate.

Beyond that I cannot say more because we still do not know what video card you are actually running. We have asked for that info and explained where to find it but you have not followed up on that. The video card is often the largest power drawing component in a system. But I think it safe to say that any system with just one video card, no matter how powerful the card is, should be covered with a PSU putting out 500 honest watts of power. Cheap, off brand PSUs exaggerate their power production claims.

I just found out what gpu I have after taking it out
Gv-r9270c-2gd gigabyte

A 500w power requirement

That rig with a R9 270 and an off brand 400 watt PSU is probably the source of your problems. At the very least the first problem to fix.

Back